My Take on Pre-Season Game 3

MAJBobby

"Buffalo we have a problem"

That is the theme for this preseason, fans will continue to write it off as its preseason of course (they need to for their own sanity) but make no mistake we do have a problem.

Now I will start this off with I dont think McD and Dennison used this game like many others teams do as a dress rehearsal for the team, why do I say that? It didnt look one bit game planned like teams do traditionally in the 3rd game, instead it looked like the offense went into this game with the goal of working on their quick hitters (slants, short passing game etc). I think we are still seeing some install going on, however that said there is a problem.

Juan Castillo - Forgive me going to be long on him. CAN WE FIRE THIS GUY ALREADY. Let me start with Vlad. I get coaches get egos and projects, but Vlad has never flashed anywhere to warrant the love he gets from Castillo. There is no reason he should be running with the ones, STOP the freaking Rotating RG with Ducasse and Miller taking every other series, OL get better with continuity and you cant do that with rotating that position every series. Vlad gets reset every snap 1-2 yards into the backfield. He plays high and doesnt move his feet one bit, not to mention no power in his punch. Now the batted Balls, Jesus Juan do you not teach the proper technique on the short 3 step drops. On a three step drop you engage you dont "catch" when teach catching and having your guys set like they would with a 5-7 step drop the defender gets a free run up field and is not worrying about being engaged to jump and bat the ball. That is BASIC OL technique teaching. I watched 4 of the batted balls (could not get through the entire game the second time). First and Second, Mills sets like a 7 step drop, Suggs never touched easy time and jump and bat down for the vet. Third, Vlad tried to engage but because he has the speed and punch of my 8 year old daughter another easy bat down. The Fourth was Proper technique by O'Leary was engaged in a nice battle with Judon a DE, but the DE made a good play, cant put that on O'Leary to much he is going to lose that battle 1v1 more times than not. Now onto the run blocking, Juan can I ask you why in a Zone blocking scheme your OL stops moving their feet on contact. Dawkins and Vlad did it all game, when they got on the LBers they stopped their feet which allowed the LBer to get off the block and make a 3 yard tackle instead of a 7-8 yard gain. Richie you too, you have to keep your feet moving in this scheme you dont you get out of position and hold. Now Juan where is the communication with your guys, a Zone Blocking scheme you do not block a specific player you block a zone, just like in the defensive backfield you have to talk with eachother to pass blocks, if you dont you get free runners. That is ALL on coaching. OOOO One last thing you want your best 5 on the field. If RG is really an open competition like you say WHY hasnt Groy been given the shot.

Clay - Just like last year gets open ALOT but jesus Clay catch the ball, I have two drops easy on you, I get it one was late and behind but should have been caught and the other when you were wide open no excuse in dropping that Ball. This offense is made for you to have a big year, you have to hold onto the ball for that to happen.

Refs - only thing I have to say on them is NFL team should be away that they are looking at the OTs not being on the LOS this year, it was called 3 times maybe 4 this game, that is something they are looking for.

DL - Missing Marcel is evident in the run game, Yarbrough has easily made this team and will get significant snaps, all and all not their best game, however still wasnt really bad I think they will be OK, though Shaq needs to play better I am not sure why he is so slow off the snap, maybe he is ovethinking it, but that is something he has never been, in college he was explosive off the line, now he looked tentative.

LBer - This unit has been a surprise to me, I wasnt worried about Brown (showing why) but was worried about LORAX and Humber at the SAM and WILL. Lorax playing very well it is a shame his game developed so late in his career, and Humber has not been a liability either. Brown playing at 240 this year has helped him, he is all over the field and looks MUCH faster. The depth worries me a bit, but they have not been tirefires when played so I think we are OK here. Ragland just needs to switch to SAM.

DBs - Starting to come around on Poyer as a legit player. Also the entire unit has surprised me, as long as they keep their communication and collapsing and or extending the zones like they have been I think they are going to be OK. However as you know Brady will pick them apart if there is no pass rush. That is the thing a zone based coverage scheme needs is pressure upfront.

QB - Not even talking TT because he went out early. However Peterman has flashed. Is he ready, NOPE. Should he start the season if TT is healthy, NOPE. However with a bad September say a 0-4 or 1-3 start I think at that time it is time to move on. I am wondering though why they havent shown a staple of the WCO yet and that is moving the pocket. I can only think Dennision thinks TT is fine doing that so focused this offseason and preseason on getting the pocket timing down. But you cant really judge either QB until that part of the offense happens. It is a Huge part of the WCO, starting to wonder though if it is part of Dennison's WCO. Peterman does run the 2min offense actually really well for a rookie. Did have his rookie moment as well when almost tossed the pick. But all and all there are flashes but to think he has excelled is funny.

WR - Holmes has done nothing, actually is being outplayed by Streater, Now Shorts and Reilly, I think they wanted him to grab the No 2 he just hasnt, and for that reason IMO you move on from him. Go with Shorts and Reilly and get your comp pick, look for some cuts to shore up the backend of the WR group.

Nitpick - Early in the game (think was Petermans 1st drive) there was two defensive penalties, one a PI (9 yards down field) and a defensive holding. I am not sure why McD would accept the holding (5 yard Penalty) over the spot foul, both resulted in a 1st. Just confusing and maybe a nitpick but thought I needed to mention it.

Dareus - Man get out of your own way. Now I am not calling for him to be cut or traded this year, that isnt going to happen because of the contract. in all likelyhood he is here for the next two years because of the contract. Only way to get out of it (with a 2M cap savings) is a trade either this year or next year. GET OUT OF YOUR OWN WAY you could be dominate back in a 4-3

Edited by MAJBobby

Good stuff. I am just of the mindset, TT is in his 7th year and his ceiling was met a long time ago. He is a good career backup / Wildcat/ Change of pace QB. Nothing more. Let Peterman play, the kid can move the offense. Our real QB is in next years draft, let this kid establish himself as a 10+ year backup for us that can win some games.

Dareus, you know my feelings on this clown. I would have all our Cap gurus, and include NFL Front office bean counters, to find a way to punt kick this clown off the team already. He is never going to get it. Sometimes people just need to understand this and move on. We are past that with Dareus.

Good points. About Shaq's explosiveness, I remember when watching Shaq play at Clemson, a lot of plays, he seemed a half step slower off the line. Sometimes he would fire off the line and look great. But then you watch other plays in slow-mo and as everyone else is getting off the ball, he still is in his stance. Just something I noticed and found it kind of strange.

That is the theme for this preseason, fans will continue to write it off as its preseason of course (they need to for their own sanity) but make no mistake we do have a problem.

Now I will start this off with I dont think McD and Dennison used this game like many others teams do as a dress rehearsal for the team, why do I say that? It didnt look one bit game planned like teams do traditionally in the 3rd game, instead it looked like the offense went into this game with the goal of working on their quick hitters (slants, short passing game etc). I think we are still seeing some install going on, however that said there is a problem.

Juan Castillo - Forgive me going to be long on him. CAN WE FIRE THIS GUY ALREADY. Let me start with Vlad. I get coaches get egos and projects, but Vlad has never flashed anywhere to warrant the love he gets from Castillo. There is no reason he should be running with the ones, STOP the freaking Rotating RG with Ducasse and Miller taking every other series, OL get better with continuity and you cant do that with rotating that position every series. Vlad gets reset every snap 1-2 yards into the backfield. He plays high and doesnt move his feet one bit, not to mention no power in his punch. Now the batted Balls, Jesus Juan do you not teach the proper technique on the short 3 step drops. On a three step drop you engage you dont "catch" when teach catching and having your guys set like they would with a 5-7 step drop the defender gets a free run up field and is not worrying about being engaged to jump and bat the ball. That is BASIC OL technique teaching. I watched 4 of the batted balls (could not get through the entire game the second time). First and Second, Mills sets like a 7 step drop, Suggs never touched easy time and jump and bat down for the vet. Third, Vlad tried to engage but because he has the speed and punch of my 8 year old daughter another easy bat down. The Fourth was Proper technique by O'Leary was engaged in a nice battle with Judon a DE, but the DE made a good play, cant put that on O'Leary to much he is going to lose that battle 1v1 more times than not. Now onto the run blocking, Juan can I ask you why in a Zone blocking scheme your OL stops moving their feet on contact. Dawkins and Vlad did it all game, when they got on the LBers they stopped their feet which allowed the LBer to get off the block and make a 3 yard tackle instead of a 7-8 yard gain. Richie you too, you have to keep your feet moving in this scheme you dont you get out of position and hold. Now Juan where is the communication with your guys, a Zone Blocking scheme you do not block a specific player you block a zone, just like in the defensive backfield you have to talk with eachother to pass blocks, if you dont you get free runners. That is ALL on coaching. OOOO One last thing you want your best 5 on the field. If RG is really an open competition like you say WHY hasnt Groy been given the shot.

Clay - Just like last year gets open ALOT but jesus Clay catch the ball, I have two drops easy on you, I get it one was late and behind but should have been caught and the other when you were wide open no excuse in dropping that Ball. This offense is made for you to have a big year, you have to hold onto the ball for that to happen.

Refs - only thing I have to say on them is NFL team should be away that they are looking at the OTs not being on the LOS this year, it was called 3 times maybe 4 this game, that is something they are looking for.

DL - Missing Marcel is evident in the run game, Yarbrough has easily made this team and will get significant snaps, all and all not their best game, however still wasnt really bad I think they will be OK, though Shaq needs to play better I am not sure why he is so slow off the snap, maybe he is ovethinking it, but that is something he has never been, in college he was explosive off the line, now he looked tentative.

LBer - This unit has been a surprise to me, I wasnt worried about Brown (showing why) but was worried about LORAX and Humber at the SAM and WILL. Lorax playing very well it is a shame his game developed so late in his career, and Humber has not been a liability either. Brown playing at 240 this year has helped him, he is all over the field and looks MUCH faster. The depth worries me a bit, but they have not been tirefires when played so I think we are OK here. Ragland just needs to switch to SAM.

DBs - Starting to come around on Poyer as a legit player. Also the entire unit has surprised me, as long as they keep their communication and collapsing and or extending the zones like they have been I think they are going to be OK. However as you know Brady will pick them apart if there is no pass rush. That is the thing a zone based coverage scheme needs is pressure upfront.

QB - Not even talking TT because he went out early. However Peterman has flashed. Is he ready, NOPE. Should he start the season if TT is healthy, NOPE. However with a bad September say a 0-4 or 1-3 start I think at that time it is time to move on. I am wondering though why they havent shown a staple of the WCO yet and that is moving the pocket. I can only think Dennision thinks TT is fine doing that so focused this offseason and preseason on getting the pocket timing down. But you cant really judge either QB until that part of the offense happens. It is a Huge part of the WCO, starting to wonder though if it is part of Dennison's WCO. Peterman does run the 2min offense actually really well for a rookie. Did have his rookie moment as well when almost tossed the pick. But all and all there are flashes but to think he has excelled is funny.

WR - Holmes has done nothing, actually is being outplayed by Streater, Now Shorts and Reilly, I think they wanted him to grab the No 2 he just hasnt, and for that reason IMO you move on from him. Go with Shorts and Reilly and get your comp pick, look for some cuts to shore up the backend of the WR group.

Nitpick - Early in the game (think was Petermans 1st drive) there was two defensive penalties, one a PI (9 yards down field) and a defensive holding. I am not sure why McD would accept the holding (5 yard Penalty) over the spot foul, both resulted in a 1st. Just confusing and maybe a nitpick but thought I needed to mention it.

Dareus - Man get out of your own way. Now I am not calling for him to be cut or traded this year, that isnt going to happen because of the contract. in all likelyhood he is here for the next two years because of the contract. Only way to get out of it (with a 2M cap savings) is a trade either this year or next year. GET OUT OF YOUR OWN WAY you could be dominate back in a 4-3

The OL situation is totally perplexing.......especially with so many veterans. Dawkins is the only young kid on the unit. It's one thing for them to be beaten physically but the technique issues are inexplicable......the system has changed from last year but these guys have all done this before in other systems.

Yeah Clay gotta' catch everything that hits his hands........he was a pass vacuum in Miami.......that's how he earned a top 100 player ranking there a few years ago........tremendous pass receiver........don't understand the drops.

For the DL......Shaq was consistently the last guy off the ball at Clemson and it's just more glaring here in the NFL where the athletes are better. Hasn't looked better than last season in any preseason games yet.

LB's are DB's continue to be a big surprise........they are the opposite of the OL......well coached, in great position, alert........I guess it's to be expected but it's surprising that they have been tight in areas with so many question marks like LB and DB and so poor with relatively proven OL.

Holmes looks awful. Reilly may have to start in 3 WR sets if they don't do something. Shorts making the actual 53 man roster would be a flashback to Chan year 1 when they had about 10 guys on the 53 who would have been no better than PS elsewhere.

Yeah they just gotta roll with Dareus........even when he's making a poor effort he has an impact on running games...........shame, he has DPOY talent.......there shouldn't be a better DT in the NFL but he's getting to the age where his impact will start dropping like a rock if he's not taking care of himself.

Good stuff. I am just of the mindset, TT is in his 7th year and his ceiling was met a long time ago. He is a good career backup / Wildcat/ Change of pace QB. Nothing more. Let Peterman play, the kid can move the offense. Our real QB is in next years draft, let this kid establish himself as a 10+ year backup for us that can win some games.

Dareus, you know my feelings on this clown. I would have all our Cap gurus, and include NFL Front office bean counters, to find a way to punt kick this clown off the team already. He is never going to get it. Sometimes people just need to understand this and move on. We are past that with Dareus.

....you could very well be right bud.....but he's here under contract so we don't have much of a choice to see what Dennison can do with him.....three step drop with this Wikileaks OL is NOT working......TT's biggest impediment IMO is his ability to process the entire field in <5 seconds.....I understand what Dennison is attempting to do but three steps is insufficient.....hopefully, we're just vanilla for now....BUT...in the immortal words of JP Losman under the OC tutelage of one Steve Fairchild, "wait 'til you see when we open this thing up".......and we're STILL waiting (COUGH).....

....you could very well be right bud.....but he's here under contract so we don't have much of a choice to see what Dennison can do with him.....three step drop with this Wikileaks OL is NOT working......TT's biggest impediment IMO is his ability to process the entire field in <5 seconds.....I understand what Dennison is attempting to do but three steps is insufficient.....hopefully, we're just vanilla for now....BUT...in the immortal words of JP Losman under the OC tutelage of one Steve Fairchild, "wait 'til you see when we open this thing up".......and we're STILL waiting (COUGH).....

What are the odds Dennison will walk into the locker room before week one and says: "just kidding, you guys just go out and do what you did last year, that was plenty good"?

Yeah, I didn't think so........ :(

Not one thing to argue with here. All spot on. The only question I have is what if Taylor isn't cleared till Labor Day.

Too bad they had to fool with the receiving corps the last two years. Adding Zay to Hogan, Watkins, & Woods would make a pretty dynamic group. Instead we have Matthews, Zay and a body. I guess "you don't know what you've got till its gone"...and this years squad looks pretty pathetic, especially with a less than elite passer.

Total passes caught by a Bills WR, expected to make the team, from TT in an actual game, and it doesn't change much when you add in preseason games:
Jones - 0

Matthews - 0

Streator - 0

Shorts - 0

Holmes - 0

Brown - 0

I am probably missing someone, or rather TT is probably missing them.

"Missing Marcel Is evident in the run game"

Really? Baltimore had 92 yards on 37 carries wich is less than a 2.5 yard per carry average.

Yes Stats are different then what happened thanks to the steller play from the LBers.

The middle was constantly open and Preston constantly had to get off blocks because they got to second level.

It would have been ugly is not for the good play of the Lbers and actually a blah set of RBs

FWIW, Dawkins illegal formation

And from that angle right call. Helmet has to be in front of centers hip though Mills looks far worse Edited by MAJBobby

Nice analysis. I think they are not showing a lot of moving pocket etc. Vanilla offense, but still needs better execution...Clay doesn't warrant his contract as there are too many drops by him, but still is the best they have. O'Leary has impressed me so far in the preseason when thrown to.

Good write up, MAJ.

The O-Line is just baffling to me. I know that Cordy Glenn hasn't played but I cannot believe how it looks like everyone has regressed. Yet, they were not like this in the first preseason game. Is it all because of the scheme? Rotating Miller & Ducasse does not help at all. Get rid of Ducasse.

I am in full agreement that this was not a dress rehearsal from the offense. They ran a lot of the same plays.

From what I have seen from the defense they definitely are going to be a strength. I'm very impressed with how the LB's & DB's are doing. The depth on the D-Line has been a pleasant surprise. Yarbrough & Worthy have been standing out. Washington could do better, but I'm not getting on his case. Ryan Davis has looked good too. Don't expect him to get cut. Hyde looks good, Poyer looks good, and I like what I've seen from Gaines. Make no mistake, this defense will be very tough.

I am hoping that these drops from Clay are just a preseason thing, because he made some important catches last night. Gotta give credit to O'Leary. He is playing a lot better.

After what had been reported during the OTA's & Mini-camp, and the early days of training camp, I thought that Dareus was finally coming around. I guess I was wrong. I hope that McDermott can reach him, because Dareus is a difference maker on the defense, and we need him out there all the time. Start using your brain, Dareus! PLEASE!!!

Andre Holmes could be in trouble, but if Streater gets put on IR, I don't think he will be cut. Unless there is someone else who gets cut from another team that the Bills can not pass on.

I need to see how the offense is when Cordy Glenn & Jordan Matthews are in it. Otherwise it is an overall incomplete assessment.