So who's YOUR starting qb?

Steptide

Which QB  

449 members have voted

1. 1. So who's YOUR starting qb?

No. I mean we're seeing the most absolutely vanilla version of Dennison's offense that exists... like only a fraction of the variety of types of wrinkles he plans on putting in there.

Not 2 different offenses. We're just seeing maybe 10% of the offense we're gonna see during the regular season.

That's what I suspect, but we find out in less than 2 weeks.

Fair enough and I agree their play calling in the preseason games is a dumbed down version of what they are doing in practices. Tyrod struggling with an easier preseason game plan makes no sense at all and makes no sense that Tyrod would flourish with a more complicated regular season game plan week 1.

This offense isn't suited for his style and it is really evident by watching him struggle mightily so far.

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough and I agree their play calling in the preseason games is a dumbed down version of what they are doing in practices. Tyrod struggling with an easier preseason game plan makes no sense at all and makes no sense that Tyrod would flourish with a more complicated regular season game plan week 1.

This offense isn't suited for his style and it is really evident by watching him struggle mightily so far.

It isn't easy vs complex, it's whatever they want to evaluate. If Tyrod is proving to be competent at rolling out and using RPOs then why wouldn't they have him get more reps doing the things he's less comfortable with so far?

With all of the trades going on, one would think McDermott and Beane could somehow make some moves to get the tackle position straight. At this rate, and God forbid, if Peterman takes a shot and goes down, is Dennison gonna go with the single wing offense?!?!

It isn't easy vs complex, it's whatever they want to evaluate. If Tyrod is proving to be competent at rolling out and using RPOs then why wouldn't they have him get more reps doing the things he's less comfortable with so far?

True, have noticed as someone else pointed out, Tyrod has been under center more and Peterman was in more shotgun both going against what they're more familiar with.

You're making the argument that Taylor is responsible for the running game's success, rather than McCoy. That somehow a running quarterback is as much a benefit to the rushing attack as one who actually passes the ball effectively. And much like the other guy, you seem oblivious to the irony of calling the dissenting opinion stupid.

I mean...what was McCoy doing before Tyrod Taylor came into his life? What could he have possibly accomplished without such a running threat at QB in the backfield with him?

...oh yeah, he was the best running back in the league.

You mean the McCoy that many thought was on the decline when he came here? He was NOT the best RB in the league when he came here, now I know you literally are just saying things to say them.

And you are GROSSLY exaggerating what I said, its like you can't read or something. I did NOT say TT is RESPONSIBLE for all of McCoys success...I said to disregard it as if it had NO IMPACT is completely inaccurate and false. You literally read nothing I wrote and responded as if I wrote something else.

I believe the poster was saying you can't be afraid of ruining Peterman by starting him.

Its become the norm now to start promising rookies just like Buffalo will press to start the one they draft next year vs another wasted season.

The window to evaluate Peterman is small...

Its not small though, you guys act like they can't evaluate Peterman in practice too. Everyone falsely assumes you can only evaluate in a game. And again, there is ZERO value in benching Taylor, accomplishes literally nothing other than forcing a rookie to play before he should.

Its indisputable...literally indisputable...that most rookie QB's aren't ready to play game 1 of their rookie season. Many have to, because the team has no other options worthy of putting out there, and its ruined their careers before they got started. Others have proven they were ready and won the job. Others looked ready, but were still gonna sit until an injury got them in the lineup sooner than planned. But the bottom line is without question, that more often than not (by a lot) a rookie would benefit from learning more before he starts.

So again, throwing Peterman out there week 1 is the LEAST effective way by a mile to develop him considering we have other options in TT. You keep saying the window is small...but its not.

Although I hear what you are saying - I do not totally agree.

Who cares about pre-season - well a lot of players care about preseason - it is not the wins and losses, but it is about developing chemistry and timing with teammates.

As I recall last year TT lack of preseason was a big reason everyone said he started slow against Baltimore, but this year with him struggling it is no big deal. 2 years ago TTs play was enough to win him the starting job. - so yes preseason does seem to matter - especially as you are trying to employ new concepts as the Bills are this year.

I will agree that we have not seen all of the Dennison offense, but the plays we are running are a part of that offense. The WRs are running the same routes they will be running. The 3&5 steps drops are also a staple. Yes we will see more roll outs, but if you do not think the fact that TT is completing 48% with 2 ints and a fumble with the vanilla portion of the offense - I am not sure what to tell you.

What you are seeing from TT in this easy part of the offense should concern you. If he was just off with his receivers it would be one thing, but he is not making great reads and he is not throwing with anticipation - he is throwing again to guys after they break and present themselves as open.

It was especially clear on the play against Baltimore where TT was hurt. He was in the shotgun (not under center) and took a 3 step drop. There was a pocket around him and you can see Clay break open at the 30 for a first down between the hash and the numbers, but TT does not throw it. Instead he pulls it down and tries to escape the pocket - needless. That play has me more worried than anything because it was early in a game the coaches said they did some game planning for and it was a well designed and set-up play. The only issue is the QB did not pull the trigger and it causes him to take a couple of hits and a slam down that causes additional missed time.

This is the only chance these guys are going to get to be ready to play the NYJs and TT goes 14/29 (48%) with 0 TDs - 2ints and a fumble and the Bills got 3 points in his drives this year. Yes I am scared. I still think you start him if healthy, but man you have to keep the leash short because even though Peterman needs more time - the things he can do have already shown to be better.

It's not that it isn't a big deal - it's just that you can't throw away a body of work... a training camp... leadership... etc. Because of a bad practice game.

Peterman has had some success, but it's not as if we were walking up and down the field. We scored 1 TD against baltimore and it was assisted by a few penalties by them. 6 punts and 7 points. We had a few nice plays called back on penalties sure (but we also had penalty assists on our TD drive) - he also doesn't have the big play capability to get us out of those types of jams. Let him sit until Tyrod actually loses the job.

You mean the McCoy that many thought was on the decline when he came here? He was NOT the best RB in the league when he came here, now I know you literally are just saying things to say them.

And you are GROSSLY exaggerating what I said, its like you can't read or something. I did NOT say TT is RESPONSIBLE for all of McCoys success...I said to disregard it as if it had NO IMPACT is completely inaccurate and false. You literally read nothing I wrote and responded as if I wrote something else.

Right. He had just posted 1,300+ yards on the ground, second best of his career, and was a year removed from a 1600 yard season and leading the league in total yardage. But yeah, other than that he was totally on the decline.

You're just reaching to defend a bad position. It happens.

True, have noticed as someone else pointed out, Tyrod has been under center more and Peterman was in more shotgun both going against what they're more familiar with.

Pretty much. Then there's also their evaluation of the pass catchers. On some plays the QB is told to throw it to someone regardless of whether they are open because the coaches want to see if they can make a play.

Right. He had just posted 1,300+ yards on the ground, second best of his career, and was a year removed from a 1600 yard season and leading the league in total yardage. But yeah, other than that he was totally on the decline.

You're just reaching to defend a bad position. It happens.

Are you serious? You think at the time he was traded people thought he was the best RB in the league over guys like Bell (who out performed him), Murray who had just put up over 1800 yards rushing in a massively dominat season? The same McCoy who would rush for under 900 yards for us that year?

Come on, you are the one who said he was the "best RB in the NFL" when we got him. And from 2013 to 2014 his YPC dropped a full yard per carry. Coming to Buffalo, he was not considered the best RB in football, and thats what I directly disputed. No one in the NFL would have taken him over LeVeon Bell for instance. Furthermore, Philly sure as hell didn't feel he was the best RB in football as they got rid of him to us and gave a huge contract to DeMarco Murray who rushed for 500 more yards than McCoy did his last year in Philly.

My way of looking at is Peterman is a 5th rnd pick,can he be the guy? we don't know.

But they are going all in a 1st rnd QB next year.

What if Peterman is that guy? so we throw a 5th rnd pick to the wolves or maybe the team rallies around him.

And regardless, we'r

I know what is being said no mischaracterization at all, you're the one doing it. He said "not seeing the system".

They are running the same system just the lite version. Everybody knows that except maybe him or if he knows he needs to choose his words more carefully.

Carry on though endlessly trying to wrongly correct everybody.

Do you honestly think that's what I meant?

If you do, I apologize. I didn't remotely mean to imply that the plays that they're running aren't plays that are in the same system of the offense they're going to put on the field week 1, merely that what we've seen is such a small fraction of that system that it can hardly be called the same system.

Understand now?

I think you just like picking stupid fights.

You can't say for sure what will happen with Peterman this season please don't post it as a fact you are guessing just like everyone else.

Too funny coming from a guy who CONSTANTLY posts statements about Tyrod as fact when they're merely you're opinion.

:doh:

On a side note, with your recent dramatic increase in posts, recently, you seem almost giddy with excitement over the current situation with our QBs.

Weird.

Its not small though, you guys act like they can't evaluate Peterman in practice too. Everyone falsely assumes you can only evaluate in a game. And again, there is ZERO value in benching Taylor, accomplishes literally nothing other than forcing a rookie to play before he should.

Its indisputable...literally indisputable...that most rookie QB's aren't ready to play game 1 of their rookie season. Many have to, because the team has no other options worthy of putting out there, and its ruined their careers before they got started. Others have proven they were ready and won the job. Others looked ready, but were still gonna sit until an injury got them in the lineup sooner than planned. But the bottom line is without question, that more often than not (by a lot) a rookie would benefit from learning more before he starts.

So again, throwing Peterman out there week 1 is the LEAST effective way by a mile to develop him considering we have other options in TT. You keep saying the window is small...but its not.

I agree, most rookies are not ready to start, but Peterman stood out to Gruden as the most NFL ready rookie he has coached up in years.

To me its about the best compliment you can get from a former NFL coach in my humble opinion.

And that is scary considering Tyrod has been failing bad all preseason so it makes myself and many others wonder what they have been looking at all preseason that many fans didn't see. The way I see it is they are riding on last seasons coat tails of what the last staff did with Tyrod and doing that will equal the same fail, sadly yes we might have to watch 3 games of it before they admit it. The last staff is gone so should the QB that failed them.

If they are looking for a better draft pick yes I guess that would be a solid excuse to keep Tyrod as the starter.

Yes, because preseason is the primary evaluation tool for the coaches. Not those hours and hours and hours of practices they've had in TC 0:)

And it's equally funny that you say Taylor's been "failing bad all preseason" when he looked pretty good in the 1st preseason game. So really, this is all based on 2 preseason games, 8 drives, and 21 pass attempts?!?!

Do you really not see how absolutely preposterous it is to assume that these preseason games are the make or break of the evaluation for Taylor?

If Taylor were failing, it would have been in TC and McDermott would be benching him based primarily on that, not 8 drives and 21 pass attempts with a sieve of an OL and all against the 1st string defense, unlike Peterman, who's TD drive everyone raves about to end the half was against the Ravens' 2nd string D and courtesy of a really dumb ST penalty right after a 3 and out with 3 straight passes by our young QB.

I honestly thought after the Ravens game McDermott might have used the game as an opportunity to start to talk his way out of Taylor solidly being the starter, but he didn't... he made possibly the strongest statement all summer about Taylor being the #1 QB on the team.

That says something.

That doesn't mean I don't think Taylor will be on a short leash when he comes back healthy. It means that fans who believe preseason is the primary or even significant evaluator of the QB position in particular are a bit naïve.