Assuming we draft a QB next year...

McNubbins

I would start him when:

1) he has a firm grasp of the system

2) he can diagnose the defenses

3) we have a capable offensive line

#3 is really important because rookies can be ruined by bad O lines. I also think, despite the bravado, their confidence is shaky. So you don't want to throw them in too quickly, make mistake after mistake, then regress.

Edited by voodoo poonani

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of the dumber threads among dumb threads ... nothing is more productive than speculating about how to manage an unnamed rookie QB when nobody has any idea of who that rookie QB might be ... or even if there is to be one.

What, in your opinion, should be the strategy for that guy? Starting day 1? Have him sit behind a veteran to learn? Just curious on your guys' thoughts.

Probably declare him a bust in OTAs and start planning for the 2019 draft. :D

Seriously, I'd sit him for a year and keep Tyrod around another season. Finding a rookie strong enough to start year one is like hitting the Powerball, unless you are good with winning 4 games if that.

What happens if one or all of the 3 top college qbs mentioned have down years

Its really early for this

but hey....if we are just doing it for the sake of discussion.

Tyrod is essentially playing on one year contracts at a very reasonable rate......if he can play in this system (which we all need to see) then you keep him bridging it and probably use draft picks to move up and select Allen

The smart thing to do here would be to let Allen hold the clipboard a bit and get his feet under him as a NFL qb when you have a capable starter (at this point you have figured out that Josh is a capable starter)

If Tyrod cannot handle the new system that will come out as well....and Peterman is probably getting starters reps at some point during the year......and you still follow the same game plan....and let Peterman and Allen duke it out for the starting spot with the other holding the clipboard for a year.