USADA Suspends Marquise Goodwin with No Impact on NFL Career

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NFL career ?? LOOOOOOLLLLL

Goodwin's had an above average NFL career. He's going into his fifth year in the league and just signed a 2-year contract that includes a $2.5 million signing bonus and will pay him at least $6 million over the next two years. How much do you stand to earn in the next two years?

I will never understand the hatred for this guy.

Goodwin's had an above average NFL career. He's going into his fifth year in the league and just signed a 2-year contract that includes a $2.5 million signing bonus and will pay him at least $6 million over the next two years. How much do you stand to earn in the next two years?

Didn't your mother ever teach you it is rude to ask someone how much they make?

You can't judge his career based on earnings compared to the general population. Success on the field is where your argument should be. He is an often injured, average receiver at best.

to even say Glass Goodwin is average us the biggest over exaggeration I've ever heard.

Coincidently, I've never understood why anyone has ever liked the guy.

Didn't your mother ever teach you it is rude to ask someone how much they make?

You can't judge his career based on earnings compared to the general population. Success on the field is where your argument should be. He is an often injured, average receiver at best.

I agree, but since Barbarian was denigrating Goodwin's career in the NFL, I thought it added a little perspective.

As to Goodwin's NFL career, it's above average already and it might get better if he's used properly in SF. Only about 25 percent of NFL draftees end up signing a second contract in the league. Goodwin has done that, and he's in line to earn between $6 million and $8 million over the next two years, well over the league average. So based on that alone, Goodwin's NFL career has been above average, despite that he's frequently been injured. In short, he'll probably never be a star in the league, but he'll probably play in the NFL at least six years and earn enough money to set himself up for life, if he's prudent with his money. Not too shabby. If he was an "average receiver at best", he would have been cut before now and he never would have gotten a new contract.

to even say Glass Goodwin is average us the biggest over exaggeration I've ever heard.

He's demonstrably above average. See my response to EmotionallyUnstable, above.

Coincidently, I've never understood why anyone has ever liked the guy.

Here's how it works for me: I'm a Bills fan, so my default position is that I like players who play for the Buffalo Bills unless they give me a good reason not to like them. (My feelings for the team are such that I sometimes even like former Bills who play for other teams in the NFL.) Goodwin has never given me, or any other reasonable fan, any reason not to like him. Why do you hate him?

Edited by mannc

ROTFLMFAO. Doping? Really?!? He's 170lbs soaking wet and he's guilty of doping? Wonder what happens when he gets off the sauce. Anyone ever see a 110lb WR?

Doping, not steroids.

Doping involves boosting your red blood cell count to increase VO2 max via getting more oxygen through your blood to muscle tissue.

:doh:

Doping, not steroids.

Doping involves boosting your red blood cell count to increase VO2 max via getting more oxygen through your blood to muscle tissue.

I thought that the definition of "doping" was taking drugs to boost performance. I didn't think it had to be that specific. Steroids can be doping. I thought that doping was just the term international athletics used. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

I agree, but since Barbarian was denigrating Goodwin's career in the NFL, I thought it added a little perspective.

As to Goodwin's NFL career, it's above average already and it might get better if he's used properly in SF. Only about 25 percent of NFL draftees end up signing a second contract in the league. Goodwin has done that, and he's in line to earn between $6 million and $8 million over the next two years, well over the league average. So based on that alone, Goodwin's NFL career has been above average, despite that he's frequently been injured. In short, he'll probably never be a star in the league, but he'll probably play in the NFL at least six years and earn enough money to set himself up for life, if he's prudent with his money. Not too shabby. If he was an "average receiver at best", he would have been cut before now and he never would have gotten a new contract.

Here's how it works for me: I'm a Bills fan, so my default position is that I like players who play for the Buffalo Bills unless they give me a good reason not to like them. (My feelings for the team are such that I sometimes even like former Bills who play for other teams in the NFL.) Goodwin has never given me, or any other reasonable fan, any reason not to like him. Why do you hate him?

i hate the guy because he lied to the Bills, lied to the fans. Originally he was done with track. Then the Olympics come around and he wanted to specifically train for the Olympics. He even missed camp time for it. All while being paid by the Bills.

It's not my money. Why should I care right? Wel, I care because, I Too am a Bills fan. I Too want to see them win. I Too want them to be good. It's harder to do that when your paying millions for a player that isn't dedicated to the team. To training. To putting it all out there in the field every day, and week. Instead he was off on his own and training on his own. Instead he was likely playing hesitant so that he did not get injured to hurt his Olympic chances.

So I care, and I hated him because he cost us a roster spot for a legitimate WR that wanted to be here. That wanted to out the work in to be on this team and make the team better.

Edited by mrags

Doping, not steroids.

um, no. slap that head a little harder.

"Doping" is the generic term for the use of any and all performance enhancing substances. You're describing blood doping, which is practiced by distance runners, and occasionally long sprinters, but not jumpers.

Jumpers would take either roids or, more likely, stimulants that are on the banned list.

And, if you'll note, he's not suspected or accused of doping. He just didn't file paperwork needed to enable out-of-season testing. This is an important part of being a pro, because it's one of the few weapons we have against wanton cheating.

It's pretty clear he didn't do it because he's gone about as far in t&f as he's going to go. He hung it up after he failed to make the olympic team last year- he just didn't bother jumping through any of USATF's hoops because he had football to worry about.

Goodwin was good pro in the LJ with an international medal to his credit, but he's at an age where it's time to make whatever money he can in football before reality sets in. Because you're not going to pay the bills being America's 8th or 10th best long jumper.

Luke McCown has played 13 seasons in the NFL. He has earned over 18 million dollars according to sportrac. So by your standards, he must be an above average NFL QB because he has signed multiple contracts and earned lots of money.

Its about production. Goodwin has amassed 49 receptions and 780 career yards with 6 TD in 4 years. To put that in perspective for you, Cole Beasley had 75 receptions and 833 yards with 5 TDs LAST season!

He, like goodwin, has always played as it around a number 3 WR.

So in terms of production, Goodwin is not an average receiver. Compared to ever receiver to ever take a snap in the preseason and OTAs, sure he is average. But when you look at him in terms of actual production and compare him to legitamate WRs who play consistently in this league, he is not.

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable

i hate the guy because he lied to the Bills, lied to the fans. Originally he was done with track. Then the Olympics come around and he wanted to specifically train for the Olympics. He even missed camp time for it. All while being paid by the Bills.

It's not my money. Why should I care right? Wel, I care because, I Too am a Bills fan. I Too want to see them win. I Too want them to be good. It's harder to do that when your paying millions for a player that isn't dedicated to the team. To training. To putting it all out there in the field every day, and week. Instead he was off on his own and training on his own. Instead he was likely playing hesitant so that he did not get injured to hurt his Olympic chances.

So I care, and I hated him because he cost us a roster spot for a legitimate WR that wanted to be here. That wanted to out the work in to be on this team and make the team better.

In all fairness, it was inexplicably his healthiest year he ever had with the Bills.

Luke McCown has played 13 seasons in the NFL. He has earned over 18 million dollars according to sportrac. So by your standards, he must be an above average NFL QB because he has signed multiple contracts and earned lots of money.

Its about production. Goodwin has amassed 49 receptions and 780 career yards with 6 TD in 4 years. To put that in perspective for you, Cole Beasley had 75 receptions and 833 yards with 5 TDs LAST season!

He, like goodwin, has always played as it around a number 3 WR.

So in terms of production, Goodwin is not an average receiver. Compared to ever receiver to ever take a snap in the preseason and OTAs, sure he is average. But when you look at him in terms of actual production and compare him to legitamate WRs who play consistently in this league, he is not.

McCown was one of 17 QBs taken in the 2004 draft, which included JP Losman and the immortal Jeff Smoker. Three of those QBs turned into Hall of Fame (or borderline HoF) QBs. McCown was the fourth most successful of the lot, so yes, I would say he's definitely had an above average NFL career even though he's probably never been one of the 32 best QBs in the NFL at any given moment.

Goodwin was a 3d round pick who's lasted five years in the league and earned a lot of money. He'll be SF's WR3 this year. So yes, he's had an above average NFL career. An average NFL career is 3.5 years and no second contract. He's done better than that.

In all fairness, it was inexplicably his healthiest year he ever had with the Bills.

and there's the other reason why I hated him. He sucked. His career year with the team and he had 29 receptions, 431 yards, and 3 TDs. Another reason to hate him and would prefer to have anyone with even a little bit of upside.

You are either misinformed or being dishonest. Goodwin never "lied to Bills" or its fans. Show me a quote where Goodwin said was not going to train for track. To my knowledge, he trained for the Olympics with the Bills' full blessing and I've never heard even a whisper that any of his teammates ever suggested that Goodwin was anything other than a great teammate. Do you have any evidence to the contrary?

Furthermore, for the most part, Goodwin trained for track in the offseason and none of his injuries had anything to do with his training for track. At most he missed a week or two of training camp. Do you have any idea what most NFL players do in the offseason? Do you have a scrap of evidence that Goodwin's track training had any negative impact on him as a professional football player? Certainly none of his injuries had anything to do with his track and field training. Your statement that he "was likely playing hesistant" is laughable and completely devoid of evidence. And your point that Goodwin "cost us a roster spot" is an absolutely pathetic argument. If he didn't deserve a roster spot, he would have been cut. It was up to the team, not Goodwin, to decide who made the team and who didn't. So as it turns out, your virulent hatred for a member of the Buffalo Bills was without any rational basis whatsoever.