Bills trade Ronald Darby for WR Jordan Matthews, 3rd rd pick

YoloinOhio

The Eagles absolutely won the trade.

Because the value to them at CB, is higher than WR to us. Jim is doing a penalty incurring and fine inducing Celebration Dance right now.
And he doesn't care a dingy about Matthews.

He scored well here.

The Eagles made the right move.

I like Matthews long term. He aint no Watkins. Bills should hope Zay shines his light and draft another one or two for the future.
Gaines? well. I remain open minded.

Go Bills

The Eagles absolutely won the trade.

Because the value to them at CB, is higher than WR to us. Jim is doing a penalty incurring and fine inducing Celebration Dance right now.

And he doesn't care a dingy about Matthews.

He scored well here.

The Eagles made the right move.

I like Matthews long term. He aint no Watkins. Bills should hope Zay shines his light and draft another one or two for the future.

Gaines? well. I remain open minded.

Go Bills

He's going to be the Bills' #1 WR this season. It would have been nice to allow him to acclimate himself to the NFL before placing that kind of pressure on him.

He's going to be the Bills' #1 WR this season. It would have been nice to allow him to acclimate himself to the NFL before placing that kind of pressure on him.

It's the NFL.

Fire and Fury.

Sammy into it, and so shall Zay.

A great story to unfold I hope!

Yessss!

More comp picks instead of valuable veteran depth!

Not if they re-sign Matthews. But even if they don't they still have a chance at 2 players for 1 (with the comp pick) so that does add depth to the team.

If you think about it, keeping one player at a high cap hit (Sammy) when your entire team is lacking depth, actually does more to take away depth than to add to it. Especially when that 1 player will likely take up 1/2 or more of their available 2018 cap space. That could/would prevent them from adding much of that valuable veteran depth you mentioned.

I think there's a good chance they offer Matthews a contract though.

BDN Exclusive, Source: Recently traded Bills player not a big Buffalo fan

http://www.thedailynewsonline.com/bdn02/bdn-exclusive-source-recently-traded-bills-player-not-a-big-buffalo-fan-20170816

A person familiar with the situation speaking on the condition of anonymity did not indicate Darby requested a trade, but said the 23-year-old is not heartbroken after being dealt to Philadelphia.

I agree that the pick was likely the main piece. But I think getting a receiver back for this year was also important. I really do think Matthews is a great fit here, at least character wise. He's definitely a McDermott/Beane type of player to a T.

They've kind of given that same line about a lot of players. I think it's really important to them that they have players who want to be here and are bought in.

We will just have to wait and see what happens. Matthews could fit great and end up pricing himself out anyway. The cool thing is that even if he does walk, they likely still get the same 3rd round comp pick they'd have got if Sammy walked.

:wallbash:

Darby looks like a nice fit for Eagles scheme....is ours that much different?

Both Darby and Watkins trades were terrible IMO. I get why they did it if they really feel they couldn't keep Sammy and didn't want to lose him for nothing, and that domino made the Darby trade make more sense. I am more ok with the Darby trade in terms of returned value, however, I still hate the trade.

We had an Elite talent at WR who is healthy and we had DB who contended in 2015 for DROY, both 24 year and 23 years old respectively. Now we lost both and all we got back was a marginal DB, a decent WR, and a couple of draft picks that more than likely don't return the talent we gave up to get them. Just don't like it...both were two guys who had the potential to make a big impact this year with the new system and regime and are young at positions of need.

I like the assets next year, but I prefer known talent every day over future maybes. We will absolutely regret these trades unless we hit big with the draft assets which is not easy to do.