Sammy Can't Wait to Match Up Against Gilmore

I caution you to take any "analysis" by PFF with a bolder of salt. I've been with NFL scouts who have laughed out loud at their stuff over the years.

And i have seen other analytic sites say the same thing PFF is sating. And of course old school NFL scouts laugh at analytics because it quantifies something that their "eye test" cant

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not that this is news to you, but the truth is that when you face NE, you don't game plan for Gronk/Edelman/Cooks/etc; you game plan to try to limit how badly Brady can scorch you.

If I were running Buffalo's defense, it would be 100% about disrupting timing and forcing Brady to hold the ball longer than he likes. You can do some of that with CB play at the line, but you also need your LBs to be able to jam and get depth in their zones--not easy, but guys like Hodges and Milano/Vallejo were brought in because they have those skill sets.

But again, that's only half the battle, as the front 4 needs to create consistent pressure, otherwise Tommy will pick your zone apart.

The other part of the equations is that you absolutely must tackle well. NE is a team that thrives on simplicity in their attack. They know that tackling is a lost art, so if they can beat you with quick passes and take advantage of a missed tackle every play to gain 5-6 yards, they'll do it over and over.

I haven't seen Milano/Vallejo play so I will reserve judgment on those guys. I don't seen Brown/Alexander/Hodges/Rags being anything but place holders for this season. You went into a little more depth than I did, sounds like you agree that this young secondary is going to be taxed with making more tackles because of this LB group. That's a lot to ask.

On offense I think our biggest mismatch is Shady against their backers. I don't see us winning but I hope Dennison can exploit that a bit.

Drives me crazy. Everyone knows the offense. You need to press the WR's, disrupt the timing, try to make Brady hold the ball, and get pressure with your front 4.

Playing off on their WR's is stupid

Problem is that it's not that simple. When you press their WRs, they bunch them up and back two of them off the LOS and run their rub routes like crazy. Unless your safeties and LBs tackle really well you get picked to death. Even then, when you creep your LBs and safeties up to deal with the WRs, they hit you with a heavy run attack and passes out of the backfield.

Problem is that it's not that simple. When you press their WRs, they bunch them up and back two of them off the LOS and run their rub routes like crazy. Unless your safeties and LBs tackle really well you get picked to death. Even then, when you creep your LBs and safeties up to deal with the WRs, they hit you with a heavy run attack and passes out of the backfield.

Dion Who?

Of course it's not simple. But, IMO, a physical approach at the line is better than playing off. Try to disrupt the timing and create pressure up the middle. Having the horses up front is the key

And i have seen other analytic sites say the same thing PFF is sating. And of course old school NFL scouts laugh at analytics because it quantifies something that their "eye test" cant

This is far from true. Actual NFL scouts are responsible for much of the analytics currently being used across the league. As with any shift in paradigm, some "old school" professionals were probably resistant, but not anyone I know. The point is, data is not as useful when it isn't analyzed in context by those best suited to analyze it.

This has been an interesting diversion but like I said, I doubt Belichick will use much man to man given what he's shown in the past vs. TT and others like him. And I highly doubt anyone in their organization will point to a PFF "analysis" to suggest he triy a different tack. Nobody knows what defenses TT struggles against better than Belichick and the scouts employed to inform him. Not even close.

They at least respect those teams. We are a joke to them. I go around Boston with my Bills gear on and Pats fans say they like the Bills and hope we can win it if they can't.

We aren't a rival, they pity us. :(

I'm in MA, too. This is a photo of my office door in Marlborough, the heart of pats* country. I have found that since I've moved from the west coast to new england, I have to be even more bold and obnoxious about my fandom, and I'm more than happy to oblige.

Eff these MA-holes. I don't accept their pity and won't hesitate to tell them that.

post-9836-0-28441600-1502290668_thumb.jpg

I'm in MA, too. This is a photo of my office door in Marlborough, the heart of pats* country. I have found that since I've moved from the west coast to new england, I have to be even more bold and obnoxious about my fandom, and I'm more than happy to oblige.

Eff these MA-holes. I don't accept their pity and won't hesitate to tell them that.

More power to you. Although your office door would look better with Sabres regalia.

I was born and raised in San Jose. The Sharks and Warriors are my hometown teams.

I am a Bills fan because the closest friends of the family we had my entire childhood were the people who introduced me to NFL football back in the mid-eighties. They're from Tonawanda.

More power to you. Although your office door would look better with Sabres regalia.

Edited by devldog131

I was born and raised in San Jose. The Sharks and Warriors are my hometown teams.

I am a Bills fan because the closest friends of the family we had my entire childhood were the people who introduced me to NFL football back in the mid-eighties. They're from Tonawanda.

It's all good. Lot to like about the Sharks and Warriors for sure. It's gonna be weird seeing Marleau in a Laffs uni. And we can certainly agree on "phuck the Bruins."

@ringer

This Patriots squad might be the deepest, most balanced, and—yes, really—best one we’ve seen yet

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/8/9/16116304/why-the-new-england-patriots-could-go-undefeated

Sure he can. He didn't trust the receivers on the field to beat their man.

Now it is the WRs. But lets ignore that the all 22 shows them open alot.

It cant be a QB that just has issues against a certain type of coverage because he needs WR college open before throwing it

Edited by MAJBobby