Share some music thread

Pine Barrens Mafia

Remember Keith Emerson? Unpopular opinion: The Nice were better than ELP. Greg Lake and Carl Palmer (ELP) were certainly technically better than Lee Jackson and Brian Davison (The Nice). However, The Nice had the far better selection of material to cover..

Edited by DrW
  • Like (+1) 1

@SinceThe70s @DrW I saw this clip on my feed today with the title  "Wow"

So I clicked it and I thought it was worthy of sharing to those folks I know who adore Frank Zappa. He was a character right to the end. RIP Frank.

Playing the bicycle indeed. 🙂

Many musicians, bands and orchestras from diverse genres have been influenced by Zappa's music. Rock artists such as The Plastic People of the Universe,[173] Alice Cooper,[174] Larry LaLonde of Primus,[175] Fee Waybill of the Tubes[176] all cite Zappa's influence, as do progressive, alternative, electronic and avant-garde/experimental rock artists like Can,[nb 14] Pere Ubu,[nb 15] Yes,[177][178] Soft Machine,[179][180] Henry Cow,[181] Faust,[182] Devo,[183] Kraftwerk,[184] Trey Anastasio and Jon Fishman of Phish,[159] Jeff Buckley,[185] John Frusciante,[186] Steven Wilson,[187] and The Aristocrats.[188] Paul McCartney regarded Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band as the Beatles' Freak Out!.[189] Jimi Hendrix[190] and heavy rock and metal acts like Black Sabbath,[191] Living Colour,[192] Simon Phillips,[193] Mike Portnoy,[194] Warren DeMartini,[195] Alex Skolnick,[196] Steve Vai,[197] Strapping Young Lad,[198] System of a Down,[199] and Clawfinger[200] have acknowledged Zappa as inspiration. On the classical music scene, Tomas Ulrich,[201] Meridian Arts Ensemble,[202] Ensemble Ambrosius[203] and the Fireworks Ensemble[204] regularly perform Zappa's compositions and quote his influence. Contemporary jazz musicians and composers Bobby Sanabria, Bill Frisell[205] and John Zorn[206] are inspired by Zappa, as is funk legend George Clinton.[207]

Other artists affected by Zappa include ambient composer Brian Eno,[208][209] new age pianist George Winston,[210] electronic composer Bob Gluck,[211] parodist artist and disk jockey Dr. Demento,[212] parodist and novelty composer "Weird Al" Yankovic,[213] industrial music pioneer Genesis P-Orridge,[214] singer Cree Summer,[215][216] noise music artist Masami Akita of Merzbow,[217] the Italian band Elio e le Storie Tese[218][219][220] and Chilean composer Cristián Crisosto from Fulano and Mediabanda.[221][222][223]

Edited by muppy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, T&C said:

Mark Andes in the pink went on to be the bass player for Heart... and yes, they'll be knocking at your door... soon.

Three comments: First, awesome clip; thanks for sharing. Second, sadly, Spirit's front man, Randy California, managed to save his son from a rip current in the Pacific Ocean in 1997, but Randy himself drowned.

Third, there are not many bands with a full-time tambourine player and back-up vocalist, as Jay Ferguson in Spirit. Another example: Brian Jonestown Massacre (what an awesome band name!), with Joel Gion on tambourine.

Here is a full concert by the Brian Jonestown Massacre...

Edited by DrW
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, DrW said:

Second, sadly, Spirit's front man, Randy California, managed to save his son from a rip current in the Pacific Ocean in 1997, but Randy himself drowned.

I saw that version of Spirit twice (Skippers Smokehouse in Tampa... "we smoke anything") and the 2nd time was his last show ever... 3 days later he drowned in Hawaii like you said. Sad times... Randy and Ed were so cool, they mingled with the crowd before and after the show... got the 1st album autographed by both and the Kapt Kopter lp signed by Randy. Hung out with Ed after the show at a picnic table... one of the most memorable rock moments in my life... I felt like a little kid in a way, just awed. I could go on and on... 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, muppy said:

@SinceThe70s @DrW I saw this clip on my feed today with the title  "Wow"

So I clicked it and I thought it was worthy of sharing to those folks I know who adore Frank Zappa. He was a character right to the end. RIP Frank.

Playing the bicycle indeed. 🙂

Thanks for sharing.  My favorite Q/A was :

Q: How much is for the sound and how much is for the humor?

A: Both, the goal here is entertainment.

22 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Thanks for sharing.  My favorite Q/A was :

Q: How much is for the sound and how much is for the humor?

A: Both, the goal here is entertainment.

for me one of his most telling statements is "how do you wish to be remembered" His reply: "I don't care" 

Fearless and uncompromising until the very end.