Share some music thread

Pine Barrens Mafia

The French always had a fondness of the psychedelics; anyone remember Gong?

Here "arte", a French TV channel, presents a concert by Austin's (TX) finest, the Black Angels, in St Malo.

• Like (+1) 2

An interesting math tidbit: If you add a second dimension to a line, you get a square. If you add a third dimension to square, you get a cube. Now, what do you get upon adding a forth dimension to a cube? Well, it is a tesseract. Googling "tesseract" also resulted in a band of this name (once mentioned before in this thread by Pine Barrens Mafia - I have no idea how I can alert him to this thread), and I quite like what they are doing. My daughter's comment when I told her the story, "They must be nerds".

Edited by DrW
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/22/2024 at 3:37 AM, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

greetings. I remember they closing the NYS freeway due to this event. I met 2 people who actually did attend. My one friend told me she described it in one word. Basically Poop. She was a kid and it was a very unsanitary place and that was her main memory. The other guy VERY interesting guy. I met him in bolivia circa 1977. This guy was a guitar virtuoso professional studio musican type player. His comments were about several bands  But he did say this song set the crowd on fire. As good as it sounds now it was even more intense live I'm guessing.

The other San Francisco band from the late 60s/early 70s: Quicksilver Messenger Service

If you only have time or patience for one song, try ""Worryin' Shoes" (starting at 44:55; the given time stamps are a bit off). The interplay between both guitarists, John Cipollina and Gary Duncan, is fascinating.

Edited by DrW
  • Thank you (+1) 1

And here some jam 1970 sessions of a true SF all-star line-up. Jerry Garcia (GD), Jack Casady, Jorma Kaukonen, Papa John Creach (all JA), David Freiberg (QMS/JA), John Cipollina, Nicky Hopkins (both QMS). There seems to be a question about the identity of the drummer; possibly, it is Mickey Hart (GD).

Edited by DrW

On 2/23/2024 at 9:10 PM, DrW said:

The French always had a fondness of the psychedelics; anyone remember Gong?

Thought you'd never ask. Remember when they almost had that hit single? Well, not so much, but in some parallel universe maybe? Everything else they did ended up somewhere between Zappa, the brown acid from Woodstock, Roy Wood, Mahavishnu Orchestra and Monty Python.

Edit: Except for that one punk record.

At least they kept it to English or French and not some proprietary thing like these guys who are looking more like a Tattooine cantina group these days (but with a much better rhythm section)

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Thank you (+1) 1