Coolest thing you ever seen from a plane

Ice bowl 67

You guys ever seen any Big cities from way high up in a plane or any sporting events going on while flying or Balloons flying in the air or any other weird objects? How bout big Thunderstorms, snowstorms or could you identify your own house while flying?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wild fires out west at night was freaky. Countless sharks swimming near shore on the west coast of Florida near countless swimmers was also cool, from far away. The college girl next to me going down to spend spring break with her grand parents paid particular note of this.

Wild fires out west at night was freaky. Countless sharks swimming near shore on the west coast of Florida near countless swimmers was also cool, from far away. The college girl next to me going down to spend spring break with her grand parents paid particular note of this.

And the bolded part is what my brain immediately picked up

Cool is the wrong word but in 1993 I was flying into NYC in the early evening and looking at the skyline something didn't look quite right but I couldn't put my finger on it. Flight path was up the East River so we got pretty close to lower Manhattan and I finally realized there were no lights on in the World Trade Center but all the surrounding buildings were lit up. When I deplaned I saw the reports on the airport terminal TVs that it was from what turned out to be the first attempt at bringing down the twin towers.

Looking out the window and seeing Mount rainier higher Than the plane on heading into Seattle

My father worked for American and got an amazing picture from the cockpit.

I would have to go with the Grand Canyon.

Did the trip in on a helicopter a couple times, landing in a few spots for picnics. It's hard to grasp the vastness of it. You'll never forget that.

Rainier and the Grand Canyon are both stunning.

Eastbound flights out of San Jose are sick - they do an ascending spiral before going east, you can a splendid view of the whole Bay and downtown San Francisco.

Coolest thing so far: Flying back to Denver last year, there were clouds from ~13,000' down. We were coming back from Seattle so the inbound route puts you right over Rocky Mtn NP area, just the tippy tops of the highest peaks were sticking out through the clouds. Sun was starting to set so it gave the peaks a nice glow, especially Longs. Just a really trippy view of one of my favorite areas.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

When I was int he Air Force I worked in the C 141 flying squadrons for the first 5 years

Air refuelings are pretty cool.......and I even got to work the controls

We did relief drops in Moscow.....so we did short drops and takeoffs......watching people scrambling for the crates was like something out of a zombie movie