Sour Sal Maiorana Strikes Again...

An article published in the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle yesterday had me fed up with one aspect of the Bills-bashing culture in our regional media outlets. Give this a quick read:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/2017/07/23/buffalo-bills-tyrod-taylor-franchise-quarterback/490092001/

What I have an issue with is HOW nearly all of the media outlets have chosen to paint Tyrod's benching in the final game against the Jets as, and I quote Sal here, "the team essentially tipped its hand regarding Taylor’s future with the team." He also led with the absolutely inflammatory line: "New Years’ Day, MetLife Stadium in the swamps of New Jersey, and Tyrod Taylor’s career with the Buffalo Bills seemed as deceased as Jimmy Hoffa," concerning Taylor's benching.

We all know how things turned out: we kept Taylor; however, at that time--and we continue to hear the regional media barking about this, non-stop, nearly half a year later--nobody seemed to actually know what the benching meant. Here are Tyrod's words on the subject (Sal actually included the quote in his article, but ONLY looked at it from a negative standpoint):

"The next day, after cleaning out his locker, Taylor acknowledged that his time in Buffalo was probably over after two flashy but ultimately uninspiring seasons. “I mean that’s fair to say,” Taylor said. “That’s what it showed. That’s what I think it showed. But at the same time, the conversation wasn’t detailed enough to know if that was the case or not.”

What I have issue with is that our regional media--in general here--tends to ALWAYS pick the negative side of the issue. Tyrod himself wasn't sure whether the benching meant his time was up in Buffalo, or that it meant something else. I'll be the first to conceed that it was handled poorly by the Bills brass (it's probably Whaley's fault... Whaley's gone rogue! Fire him! Oh... wait... nvm...). BUT why can't our writers EVER even entertain a potentially positive spin?

I look at Taylor's benching as one last opportunity for the team to see if E.J. Manuel was worth re-signing as our backup QB, and a chance to look at Cardale Jones (albiet, an abbreviated one; I believe they should have given him the entire second half, but that's another matter). My point is that our regional media consistently chooses to paint most Buffalo Bills' moves in a negative light (in Sal's case here, he even turns the dagger with the Hoffa quote). Why don't we ever see a hint of positivity, when there clearly could be more than one side to the story? Does anyone else agree with me?

So Tyrod should see his own benching as a positive move? Are you kidding? I'd call you an idiot but that would drag other idiots down.

So Tyrod should see his own benching as a positive move? Are you kidding? I'd call you an idiot but that would drag other idiots down.

No but he was injured and winning hurt our draft position. And if you pay attention the benching has not publicly soured Taylor. In fact he's shown more leadership. Something people should appreciate.

After watching the super bowl I'm sorry but unless you have a top 3 defense the better QB wiill win. The way the rules are in the NFL that make is so easy for a QB to dominate by passing is here to stay. Unfortunately we have a QB who cannot shoulder a offense with his arm. After the bye I hope they try and get a 3rd rd pick for Shady.

to show OTHER teams

some people imagine what they wish to read.

Beg pardon? Here's what the OP said:

I look at Taylor's benching as one last opportunity for the team to see if E.J. Manuel was worth re-signing as our backup

Do a little thinking before you come riding in on your steed oh White Knight. You seem to be imagining things that just aren't true.

No but he was injured and winning hurt our draft position. And if you pay attention the benching has not publicly soured Taylor. In fact he's shown more leadership. Something people should appreciate.

He has? Should we?

What would you rather have, a qb who has enough confidence in himself to say screw you to a team that "screwed him over" or one who puts his tail between his legs and crawls on back to the team that shat on him?

Edited by Cripple Creek

Beg pardon? Here's what the OP said:

Do a little thinking before you come riding in on your steed oh White Knight. You seem to be imagining things that just aren't true.

He has? Should we?

What would you rather have, a qb who has enough confidence in himself to say screw you to a team that "screwed him over" or one who puts his tail between his legs and crawls on back to the team that shat on him?

As I recall the only reason they started EJ was to "showcase" him for other teams either after release or some crazy wild idea of a trade had they kept him a bit longer as a backup.

There was no way EJ was going to be on the team in 2017.

TT was "benched" because he had a known groin injury which needed surgery after the season, and as I said - any smart team with nothing to risk took the precaution to keep from paying an outrageous injury settlement.

Here's a crazy one for you. (Duck for cover and hold onto your hats)

EJ was retained when Rex was hired because he was the only leftover with experience with the team.

TT was retained when Sean was hired because he was the only leftover with experience with the team.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

As I recall the only reason they started EJ was to "showcase" him for other teams either after release or some crazy wild idea of a trade had they kept him a bit longer as a backup.

TT was "benched" because he had a known groin injury which needed surgery after the season, and as I said - any smart team with nothing to risk took the precaution to keep from paying an outrageous injury settlement.

Read the OP. That's who I was replying to. My god your reading comprehension skills are crap. We're saying the same thing about Taylor yet here you are arguing with me. But, since you brought it up...for what reason would the Bills be interested in showcasing EJ for another team?

Please, oh please say sign and trade.

Here's a crazy one for you. (Duck for cover and hold onto your hats)

EJ was retained when Rex was hired because he was the only leftover with experience with the team.

TT was retained when Sean was hired because he was the only leftover with experience with the team.

Huh? There are plenty of players on this roster right now with experience with team. Heck, Tyrod wasn't even the only QB with experience with the team when McD was hired. Unless you want to pretend Cardale didn't exist and isn't on a rookie contract...

The flaw in Sallie Boy's article is his insistence on overlooking the obvious, and quite likely, true reason for "benching" Tyrod: that it was a meaningless game in which, had he been injured, the Bills would have had a "yo, mama" contract payment. Whether they intended to keep him or cut him, or to "showcase" EJ and Cardale, means nothing compared to writing that check.

correct

it was absolutely the right decision to bench tyrod for that game for multiple reasons. if my qb is joe montana im benching him for that game

i agree with the op, the horseshit logic they use to explain that situation is mind bottling. it was the right call many times over - even if you planned to keep him all along

He has? Should we?

I want a team guy who is a leader. Apparently you don't.

I want a team guy who is a leader. Apparently you don't.

So, your leader is one who doesn't have enough confidence in himself to become a FA in a QB starved league?

What has he done since week 16 last season to exhibit the leadership qualities you are seeing?

So, your leader is one who doesn't have enough confidence in himself to become a FA in a QB starved league?

What has he done since week 16 last season to exhibit the leadership qualities you are seeing?

Well, according to Beane, he's been doing this

“Well, it’s just the spring, but I’ll tell you this about Tyrod,” he said then. “I come in early to workout with some of the guys and he’s in here early. The guy does every single thing asked of him, above and beyond, and that’s what you’re looking for. I respect the heck out of what I’ve seen here the five or six weeks I’ve been here. I’m looking forward to watching him take this challenge on and see how it goes in camp, then obviously two weeks in that leads to games, and see how it progresses."

2009 is on my ignore list for that reason. he's imagines things then he won't let go of his Alternate Truth,

It's been such a pleasure not having to read his lies.

to show OTHER teams

some people imagine what they wish to read.

hack? Me or the writer? That was taken off the front page of TwoBillsDrive linking a story from the D&C.

Please don't shoot the messenger.

You can kindly disagree what with me, but as I sometimes the truth hurts.

We need a passing QB that can scramble and avoids sacks much more than we need a scrambling QB that avoids sacks and hardly passes.

This has been my criticism during his tenure as QB. I don't see him changing his run first mentality, he doesn't have the ability to read quickly, and get rid of the ball accurately.

This has been my criticism during his tenure as QB. I don't see him changing his run first mentality, he doesn't have the ability to read quickly, and get rid of the ball accurately.

Again. His stats prove this is totally NOT the case. This is an example of seeing something happen once or twice turning into "he does it all the time."

Good call. He arrives early. I am sold on Taylor being the long term solution for the Bills at QB.

Good attempt. Maybe on the next try you'll get past the 2nd sentence.

You didn't ask what he's done to prove he's the long term solution. You asked what he's done to exhibit leadership qualities. He's been the first one in and last one out. He's worked out consistently. He's done everything that the coaching staff has asked of him, 'above and beyond'. He's hosted a camp to develop chemistry with some of the skill players. Honestly, if that doesn't answer the question you asked I don't even know what to tell you.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

Not you. Sal M.

Just the opposite. Reporters are supposed to be impartial, checking any fandom at the locker room door. If anything they love the drought because bad news is way more interesting than good. The stories write themselves.

Bob Matthews is living proof you CAN go through life fat, drunk and stupid.

...LMAO!!.....doesn't sound like he made your Christmas list........... :thumbsup:

The Hoffa analogy may have been hyperbolic (although most thought Taylor was done in Buffalo), but I was referring to the article as a whole and the points that were made.

par73: Not disagreeing on the article as a whole, or people's perception of Taylor's future, at that time... my OP said I have issue with the hyperbolic negativity. We are in agreement, bud.

The flaw in Sallie Boy's article is his insistence on overlooking the obvious, and quite likely, true reason for "benching" Tyrod: that it was a meaningless game in which, had he been injured, the Bills would have had a "yo, mama" contract payment. Whether they intended to keep him or cut him, or to "showcase" EJ and Cardale, means nothing compared to writing that check.

yungmack: Thanks for seeing this. Isn't that kind of a reporter's job: to report on what's actually happening, rather than just automatically gainsaying a team's actions, and doing so in a blatently negative manner? That's what I'm trying to get at, here. You get it!

Don't you mean Sal Moronana?

matter2003: Accurate.

@ jumbalaya :doh: WRONG... Where did I say that? I said, as did Taylor, as Sal even quoted, that it wasn't certain. Sal went into negative autopilot mode... THAT'S what bugs me about the regional media... Auto-negativity. Let's see some posi-press... we are more than half a year removed from all that went down in that Jets game, and still Sal dredges up dirty sewage, rather than choosing to write something possibly hopeful about the upcoming camp.

I, for one, am excited to catch some camp practices this year. Couldn't the local reports at least put on a facade of being excited about this year's revamped Bills?

Edited by ROCBillsBeliever

Good attempt. Maybe on the next try you'll get past the 2nd sentence.

You didn't ask what he's done to prove he's the long term solution. You asked what he's done to exhibit leadership qualities. He's been the first one in and last one out. He's worked out consistently. He's done everything that the coaching staff has asked of him, 'above and beyond'. He's hosted a camp to develop chemistry with some of the skill players. Honestly, if that doesn't answer the question you asked I don't even know what to tell you.

early arrival happens to be the only specific in your quote so I assumed that's what you were gloaming onto...if I'm missing something by all means please tell me

Good call. He arrives early. I am sold on Taylor being the long term solution for the Bills at QB.

The point he's being a leader, which obviously means little to you because he didn't pitch a fit like you wanted.

The point he's being a leader, which obviously means little to you because he didn't pitch a fit like you wanted.

Guys want to follow where he leads, right? He gets in early, right?

He's the best QB on the team, that's really about it. We can hope he's able to lead the team to meaningful victories but 2 years of the eyeball test and the won/loss record don't leave me optimistic.

Read the OP. That's who I was replying to. My god your reading comprehension skills are crap. We're saying the same thing about Taylor yet here you are arguing with me. But, since you brought it up...for what reason would the Bills be interested in showcasing EJ for another team?

Please, oh please say sign and trade.

👏 Bravo. I was going to reply with a snide remark but I figured why stoop to your level.

Might be its you who read my post with a the wrong tone.

You get all bent out of shape on anyone who even remotely criticizes Tyrod whether the criticism is deserved or not, yet you have no issues criticizing a brand new front office staff for stuff that may not even be their fault?

Do you not see the irony in that?

wait till the season starts, when tyrod is missing open recievers, still cant read 2/3 of the field, and people start calling him out, JM2009 will be starting forum fights all over the place. He has a history of it. Pretty much all he did on the other forum.

Edited by bigduke6

wait till the season starts, when tyrod is missing open recievers, still cant read 2/3 of the field, and people start calling him out, JM2009 will be starting forum fights all over the place. He has a history of it. Pretty much all he did on the other forum.

- not meaning anything disrespectful. you seem to know jm2009 very well so as have 1 post and let me beat him to his own game........

What banned poster are you?

:D