Adolphus Washington update

@mikerodak

After pleading not guilty Monday, Bills DL Adolphus Washington's pretrial hearing is set for Aug. 1. He is not required to appear in court.

Bills DL Adolphus Washington's attorney, Clyde Bennett, tells ESPN that a July 9 concealed weapon charge against his client should be dismissed because Washington was not stopped by police -- he was "one of many patrons" in a parking lot at an Cincinnati-area water park -- and that Washington's weapon was not concealed because he was driving a three-wheeled vehicle with an open top. Washington pleaded not guilty Monday to the misdemeanor charge; he is not required to appear in court Aug. 1 for a pretrial hearing

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0681204647414731800-4

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the accounts I read :

(1) There are no real villains here. Washington had a right to have his gun. The cops had a right to be concerned. AW just got careless handling the damn thing, causing events to snowball. When they did, Washington acted reasonably well and the cops were professional (they didn't shoot anybody).

(2) One might wonder why anyone thinks he needs a gun to go to a gawdforsaken water park, but that's just me......

(3) By the time this fizzles out, I suspect the biggest embarrassment won't be on Washington - though he's not without fault - but all the sportswriters (national & local) who rushed in with their warmed-over pieties. Washington must be cut immediately was a typical sermon. It only took a day or two for the mundane facts to emerge, but they just couldn't wait.

Edited by grb

...if you had an ounce of brains in this high priced, privileged membership league, why the hell would you even put yourself in Goodell's spotlight?.......I missed the memo........

he has a right to have a weapon. The police seemed to have over reacted in a hostile environment that this world carries against them

Edit. No. The police didn't overreact. They did what they should. Allowed him a chance in court to answer for this after what seemed like a possible unlawful possession.

Edited by Boyst62

he has a right to have a weapon. The police seemed to have over reacted in a hostile environment that this world carries against them

Edit. No. The police didn't overreact. They did what they should. Allowed him a chance in court to answer for this after what seemed like a possible unlawful possession.

...but why would you invite Goodell's microscope to watch your every move?.....seriously?...carrying to a water park that is principally a children's venue?.....any common sense here?......Jesus.........

(3) By the time this fizzles out, I suspect the biggest embarrassment won't be on Washington - though he's not without fault - but all the sportswriters (national & local) who rushed in with their warmed-over pieties. Washington must be cut immediately was a typical sermon. It only took a day or two for the mundane facts to emerge, but they just couldn't wait.

Funny. Now that the season is near, I've been tuning back to Sirius NFL, and caught Vic Carucci and some other talking head mention a tweet by LeSean McCoy about how, in life, you make good decisions or bad choices.

That was all he wrote, but it gave Carucci the segue he needed to say he doesn't want to speculate what McCoy was talking about, but if he had to, he'd speculate that tweet was about Washington, and how it almost escalated into something horrible, and that led to talking about Washington's character, and that led to talking about a hooker in college.

Guns and hookers. That's a sportswriter's wet dream exacta. Most sportswriters LOVE it when sports figures get in trouble, especially with something like guns, so they can take their high-and-mighty act on the road for click baits and interviews.

...but why would you invite Goodell's microscope to watch your every move?.....seriously?...carrying to a water park that is principally a children's venue?.....any common sense here?......Jesus.........

People who carry always carry. It's not something they do based on where they're going to be. That may not make sense to you, but that doesn't mean it makes no sense to everyone.

People who carry always carry. It's not something they do based on where they're going to be. That may not make sense to you, but that doesn't mean it makes no sense to everyone.

This. It was on this date several years ago that the guy in Norway killed 70+ people at a kids day camp where it took the police there 90 minutes to respond. Security is self-help and 90 percent of the time, cops are there after the fact to do paperwork for the insurance companies.

AW, from accounts, acted a little oddly during the situation but I'll chalk that up to the nerves / loss of sauve in the heat of the moment and to him being a big black dude in a country that has had headlines such as they are. His intent was to prove that although he was lawfully carrying, he was not a threat to the police or bystanders. All involved came out OK. This isn't what some want/wanted to make it out to be. Let's move on.

while I understand your statement as a concealed carrying law abiding trained responsible gun owner I ask where do you think he should carry? Only where there are adults? I often go to the Syracuse area and drive through high crime areas to go to my much safer destination. Does that mean because the destination is crowded with kids he should not be alowed to carry to protect himself to and from the waterpark? Think it through a bit.

Funny. Now that the season is near, I've been tuning back to Sirius NFL, and caught Vic Carucci and some other talking head mention a tweet by LeSean McCoy about how, in life, you make good decisions or bad choices.

That was all he wrote, but it gave Carucci the segue he needed to say he doesn't want to speculate what McCoy was talking about, but if he had to, he'd speculate that tweet was about Washington, and how it almost escalated into something horrible, and that led to talking about Washington's character, and that led to talking about a hooker in college.

Guns and hookers. That's a sportswriter's wet dream exacta. Most sportswriters LOVE it when sports figures get in trouble, especially with something like guns, so they can take their high-and-mighty act on the road for click baits and interviews.

This is what I was saying. I still think one will realize he had his permitted weapon safely locked in his glove box and was removing it from there and securing it on his person

Just a thought, but licensed carriers take their gun with them EVERYWHERE. Grocery stores, church, you name it. It was legal and legally conceled. If it were Texas, there never would have even been a ticket issued.

I hope that the fact that FA DT's were brought in today is more a reflection of his/others' play, and has nothing to do with this situation

Edited by BuffAlone

Just a thought, but licensed carriers take their gun with them EVERYWHERE. Grocery stores, church, you name it. It was legal and legally conceled. If it were Texas, there never would have even been a ticket issued

yes... it was never looked at (at least in Ohio) as "why did he take his gun to a waterpark)? If you carry, it's always just in the car.

your post is going to keep me up at night now

Perhaps i should tread more lightly..

Just a thought, but licensed carriers take their gun with them EVERYWHERE. Grocery stores, church, you name it. It was legal and legally conceled. If it were Texas, there never would have even been a ticket issued.

I hope that the fact that FA DT's were brought in today is more a reflection of his/others' play, and has nothing to do with this situation

the mistake was having in his lap. Whether he was putting it away or not

The movement of a weapon appears to signify intention of some sort. Hiding or ready to use.

He is lucky.