McDermott on drought: "I own that.. I'm a part of that"

Like Scott Law I neither saw the Pegs, or DW, say it was their fault for allowing anyone to dismantle the identity of our 2014 team, the D pass rush/front 4, and it was Pegs hire, and Pegs willingness to allow that to happen, resulting in less wins the next 2 years, and still no playoffs

However that was then and it has little to do with 2017 moving forward

And with no offense to those who think whatever Coach Sean says this off season is inspiring, my guess is you likely said the exact same thing to whatever Rex or Marrone claimed those off seasons too, lol, belief is al, 'you gotta stay positive', but.....at the end off the day the only thing that really counts is winning 10 games plus, on the field, during the regular season, not owning anything or winning anything, or saying all the 'right' things in the off season

Who cares if Sean owns it? If he can only guide us to 6-7 wins in 2017, big effin deal?

The off season PR is pretty and all, from ownership down to Chris Brown they all look focused, and say all the 'right' things fans want to hear but this is the NFL, you ain't gonna last unless you win on the field, and you are not deemed successful unless you both win 10 games plus and make the playoffs, and not just once, but numerous times

jc

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The above is true GB, but imo 17 years of losing DOES place the coach in a different position.

Having to install a completely different, winning mentality to this team after Rex will probably be very taxing.

Otoh if he can get the team even to a wildcard spot, he will be a star in the eyes of the owner, players and the fans. His value as a coach in terms of compensation would instantly skyrocket.

Wrt the Bills, a wildcard spot equates to huge success (imo of course).

I have to agree, as i have pondered this for a day or so.

he has to own everything Bills History and future to extract the Team from it's long time absence as a contender.

Culture change is based upon understanding how it got to where it is. Not just new banners in the fieldhouse.

Feel the pain Sean.

I really like this guy and wish him success as much as I wish the Bills to become a consistently tough team to play week after week.

You can be the new Sheriff in town while at the same time assuming ownership of the fan's plight and the team's history.

It's sort of like when that new player comes into town and recognizes the they are part of a team that hasn't succeeded rather than pointing out they had nothing to do with the failures of the past.

It's a respectable leadership stance. If it's genuine, this guy may be the general we've been hoping for to lead the troops.

every bit of this and I can dig the unbolded as well 28 !

Like Scott Law I neither saw the Pegs, or DW, say it was their fault for allowing anyone to dismantle the identity of our 2014 team, the D pass rush/front 4, and it was Pegs hire, and Pegs willingness to allow that to happen, resulting in less wins the next 2 years, and still no playoffs

However that was then and it has little to do with 2017 moving forward

And with no offense to those who think whatever Coach Sean says this off season is inspiring, my guess is you likely said the exact same thing to whatever Rex or Marrone claimed those off seasons too, lol, belief is al, 'you gotta stay positive', but.....at the end off the day the only thing that really counts is winning 10 games plus, on the field, during the regular season, not owning anything or winning anything, or saying all the 'right' things in the off season

Who cares if Sean owns it? If he can only guide us to 6-7 wins in 2017, big effin deal?

The off season PR is pretty and all, from ownership down to Chris Brown they all look focused, and say all the 'right' things fans want to hear but this is the NFL, you ain't gonna last unless you win on the field, and you are not deemed successful unless you both win 10 games plus and make the playoffs, and not just once, but numerous times

jc

Like i have mentioned more than once, It will show in how the Bills play the Game. Maybe not the record in this first season under the New Regime. But the fight and then the awareness both Coaches and Players exude.

Find it difficult to discount that the " mood' has certainly changed.

Too many quotes from players who are not over enthusiastic but well spoken and seem to be responding.

So many of us can fall back upon , we shall see.

I think that is a fair take with all of us for now

so McD says he now owns the drought?...what's wrong with that?....could have easily thrown any of his inept predecessors under the bus but did not do so.....maybe I'm a minion but it tells ne something about the character of the new guy in charge...........

Not addressed yet, is the elephant in the room. The NFL is an 8-8 season driven entity. The structure of the Draft, Cap, pay to the Cap, FA and scheduling make this undeniable. Sure, every year there's a 3-13 team, where the roof caves in, but there is usually a rebound to respectability soon after. Equally, 8-8ers typically have one season in 6 where the bounces go their way, making the playoffs and occasionally the SB, only to fall back the following season. As many as 25 teams fall into this structure and the Bills are the model. The AFCW & AFCS, NFCE & NFCS rarely have repeat Champions. The small handful of teams that buck the system have A.) stability in the FO & Coaching Staff and B.) a top tier QB. But there are also great QB's playing on perennial 8-8er's, like Brees & Rivers. Blaming the Pegula's is ridiculous, though I certainly understand the frustration and the need to blame. We've been snake-bit on Coaching staffs who've failed at finding/developing a QB, yet the middling carousel continues. The new staff, while currently winless, appears to be an attempt to stabilize the franchise for a long haul, which SHOULD soon lead to minimizing middling seasons and produce consistent quality play. I like Tyrod, but if he doesn't take a big step forward in Dennison's offense, QB WILL BE the focus next off season. That's how I take McD's owning the past.

It's good that he recognizes the frustration of the fans (not to mention some of the players who have been here a long time).

But taking blame in something that happened before he arrived is kinda stupid.

The only thing that matters is what McDermott does going forward.

It's good that he recognizes the frustration of the fans (not to mention some of the players who have been here a long time).

But taking blame in something that happened before he arrived is kinda stupid.

The only thing that matters is what McDermott does going forward.

he didn't take blame.

One can feel a sense of accountability for overcoming a situation and own the outcome without blaming themselves for being in the situation to begin with. When he decided to take the job, he decided to take on ownership of the team's situation. To overlook that part of that is the longest playoff drought in North American pro sports would be burying his head in the sand.

Edited by YoloinOhio

And you know what?

Back to Cubs thing. Joe Maddon owned nothing. It was all in the past. Changed culture. That is why the ChiCubs broke free.

McD would be wise to do the same.

Also had a lot to do with having some big time players and acquiring the right talent at the deadline.

However, I do agree, can't let the past linger around. Need to be a separate entity from that losing culture.