Calvin Johnson admits why he retired: Lions were hopeless

Moulds was very good.

He was very good, but he didn't achieve greatness. I'm not sure that Moulds would have been a hall of famer under any circumstances. He had very good seasons, but he isn't the type of player who people will be discussing for years to come. I think that Calvin Johnson is in the latter category. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

And the Bills don't?

There are a few guys from the 70's teams whose careers were ruined by being a part of the Bills. How many guys during this recent playoff drought would have been hall of famers elsewhere? Honestly I believe that many of these guys have been overrated as a result of being on such bad teams. Guys like Aaron Schobel would have been really good NFL players anywhere. They wouldn't have been hall of fame level guys though.

Moulds was very good.

...sure he was good and endured the pain of crap teams (as did others) but he was also a diva......Ralph had to personally fly in from Detroit to mitigate the spat of Moulds vs Mularkey......Eric was RW's pet.....and he made sure he burned EVERY bridge outta town before heading to the Texans...his "publicist (really needed somebody to speak for him??)" said, "Eric is very upset with the Buffalo Bills because his consecutive game catching streak was broken".....now there's a real TEAM guy pissed about a ME record....lost ALL respect for him at that point.................

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Moulds had a chance to be an all-time great on another team perhaps, but joined the Bills at a bad time. No way he was ever going to be Megatron good though. I get the point that some are making about the Bills squandering good players, but Johnson and Sanders were once in a generation-type talents.

"Calvin Johnson Confirms He Retired Because the Lions Were Hopeless"

http://thebiglead.com/2017/07/12/calvin-johnson-confirms-he-retired-because-the-lions-were-hopeless/

He was "stuck" in his contract with the Lions

"It wasn't worth my time to keep on beating my head against the wall"

They did better without ya.

...sure he was good and endured the pain of crap teams (as did others) but he was also a diva......Ralph had to personally fly in from Detroit to mitigate the spat of Moulds vs Mularkey......Eric was RW's pet.....and he made sure he burned EVERY bridge outta town before heading to the Texans...his "publicist (really needed somebody to speak for him??)" said, "Eric is very upset with the Buffalo Bills because his consecutive game catching streak was broken".....now there's a real TEAM guy pissed about a ME record....lost ALL respect for him at that point.................

Yeah no kidding. Even Terrell Owens didn't gripe any when Trent Checkwards couldn't give him a reception against the continuously-porous saints defense. From what I recall, TO was a refreshingly good dude and a solid teammate for us, which was surprising since he and Jauron seem to be as good of a mix as oil and water.

As for my thoughts on this thread as a whole, why the hate for the lions? They were rather good last year and have a solid roster. Stafford showed he's definitely one of the top Qbs in this league (and will stick around longer than Rodgers) and could have helped Megatron shatter all sorts of records. I understand the POV of health and being financially stable, but trashing the team that drafted you and rewarded you with that mega deal screams typical diva WR.

He was very good, but he didn't achieve greatness. I'm not sure that Moulds would have been a hall of famer under any circumstances. He had very good seasons, but he isn't the type of player who people will be discussing for years to come. I think that Calvin Johnson is in the latter category.

Perhaps a matter of personal definitions. I think there are a lot of great players that may bleed together and picture the truly iconic players of the era as generational talents

I can't believe you compared to any of those names to Calvin Johnson or Barry Sanders[/quote

Did I say these players were HOF talents?

They were some of the best players the Bills had during this horrific era. That is the point of the thread - wasted talent. It is an analogy. Which means comparing like characteristics. It doesn't equate them.