Shaq Attack - Sharks Never Sleep

@FanRagSports

#Bills DE Shaq Lawson offers immense upside in Sean McDermott's scheme. @TheJoeMarino explains why: https://www.fanragsports.com/nfl/bills/bills-de-shaq-lawson-offers-immense-upside-mcdermotts-scheme/

My No. 5 overall player in the 2016 class, Lawson is the total package at defensive end. He rushes the passer with a combination of power moves, flexibility, twitch and burst. He offers a wide variety of pass rush moves, gets off the ball and plays behind his hands. From spin moves to rips and inside counters, Lawson is a dynamic pass rusher off the edge.

Lawson is equally as solid when defending the run. He has a natural feel for stacking blocks with the functional strength to consistently set a firm edge while maintaining outside leverage. He has the power, the squeeze gaps and sheds blocks at will.

Now fully healthy with an entire offseason under his belt, Lawson is expected to take a major step forward this year in McDermott’s defense playing at his natural position. Buffalo needs young building blocks on defense to emerge, and Lawson is a prime candidate to be one of those players.

A double-digit sack season in 2017 is not out of the question for Lawson as he aims to prove himself to the new coaching staff.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@FanRagSports

#Bills DE Shaq Lawson offers immense upside in Sean McDermott's scheme. @TheJoeMarino explains why: https://www.fanragsports.com/nfl/bills/bills-de-shaq-lawson-offers-immense-upside-mcdermotts-scheme/

The 5th best player......and a double digit sack second season "isn't out of the question"?

Such conviction, Joe Marino! :lol:

Seems like it would be more like an expectation for such an elite DE......no? :flirt:

The 5th best player......and a double digit sack second season "isn't out of the question"?

Such conviction, Joe Marino! :lol:

Seems like it would be more like an expectation for such an elite DE......no? :flirt:

Do you know how many players in the entire NFL had more than 10 sacks last year?

10+ sacks doesn't make or break a player. I'm also interested in pressures, disrupting the run, doing his job, etc.

Sure, bump this in the offseason after he has 9 sacks and claim he's a bust, it'll make for a good laugh.

Isn't he in the ... pros now? That college stuff truly doesn't matter anymore, and Lawson most decidedly did not look good last season. If it did matter, Vernon Gholston would be a multi-time all-pro. Badol's point is that we shouldn't be aiming to get DEs with the upside of a Robert Ayers in the first round.

I'm willing to give the guy a mulligan for last season, but not this one.

No, it doesn't. #BADOL said he wasn't drafted to stop the run. I brought up a stat that shows he was clearly very good against the run in college, therefore, he was drafted to help stop the run.

Edited by elroy16

Yeah........not so common anymore are they! :doh:

Because teams don't invest high picks or big bucks into run stopping 4-3 DE's.

Again.......he was not drafted for his run-stopping ability.........he was supposed to be an elite pass rusher.........and plug-and-play at that.

Last year he was not good on the pass rush(2 sacks in 10 games) and he was awful against the run as well.

What defense did he play in? What position was he asked to play?

He played DE in Rex D.

That wasn't the plan going into camp but he couldn't even handle DE responsibilities when the time came.

Abysmal rookie season.

It would not be the first time a 1st round pick didnt impress in his rookie year....and this doesnt even take into account the surgery and missing all that time.

I do get your point....I want to see pash rush ability to out of a 1st round pick.....I think we will

I personally expect double digit sacks....especially given who the other players are on this DL

As well you should if you believe he was what he was advertised as.

As Lorax has proven, you don't need all the traits of a Von Miller to rush the passer effectively.........but traits are the most common link between consistently effective pass rushers.

Shaq lacked prototypical burst, bend and technique at Clemson.

I viewed him as having a floor of Courtney Upshaw and a ceiling of Melvin Ingram.

For people who think I "hate" Shaq, check those guys stats.

Ingram came on late in his rookie contract.......so just got to double-digits in time to get paid.

That's not ideal for a pick that early and though he is a good player now, Ingram's subsequently high contract will probably be a fail for the Chargers.

The defense is going to need a good impact from Shaq if the unit is going to be good this year. The defensive line being a very dominant unit rests on Shaq and Dareus in my opinion. Kyle and Hughes will be good but just how great the D-line will rest on if Shaq can make an impact off the edge and if Dareus can dominate the middle again.

The linebackers, in my opinion, will be an OK unit. The secondary will be a bit up and down. But the D-line being a good or above average unit just simply won't cut it. They need to be dominant to avoid hanging the secondary out to dry and to make life easier for the LB's.

The defense is going to need a good impact from Shaq if the unit is going to be good this year. The defensive line being a very dominant unit rests on Shaq and Dareus in my opinion. Kyle and Hughes will be good but just how great the D-line will rest on if Shaq can make an impact off the edge and if Dareus can dominate the middle again.

The linebackers, in my opinion, will be an OK unit. The secondary will be a bit up and down. But the D-line being a good or above average unit just simply won't cut it. They need to be dominant to avoid hanging the secondary out to dry and to make life easier for the LB's.

Yep, the pass rush has to be fierce for this D to work.

I personally expect double digit sacks....especially given who the other players are on this DL

I do not. I expect O Coordinators to be sure and account for him.

Pick your poison so to speak.

Sacks are over rated. Pressures are where its at. and the turnovers due to pressures.

Yep, the pass rush has to be fierce for this D to work.

On this I agree. And I feel pretty good the D will function fairly well and improve over the season as the secondary gets settled

He played DE in Rex D.

That wasn't the plan going into camp but he couldn't even handle DE responsibilities when the time came.

Abysmal rookie season.

OLB.

rating his rookie season i wholly unfair. He was just plopped in for Game reps. not being effective so much.

Rex was trippin' and may have lost his mind. Not sure what Rob was dosing him with.

new Coach new scheme that fits the front four? Lets see how they mesh

Edited by 3rdand12

Sacks are over rated. Pressures are where its at. and the turnovers due to pressures.

On this I agree. And I feel pretty good the D will function fairly well and improve over the season as the secondary gets settled

OLB.

rating his rookie season i wholly unfair. He was just plopped in for Game reps. not being effective so much.

Rex was trippin' and may have lost his mind. Not sure what Rob was dosing him with.

If they account for him that means Hughes, Marcel, and meatball are going to be cut loose

I dont think it is because he is gonna me Mario Williams this year...i think he is going to be the beneficiary of the other quality players on the line and having enough talent to take advantage of that.

If they account for him that means Hughes, Marcel, and meatball are going to be cut loose

I dont think it is because he is gonna me Mario Williams this year...i think he is going to be the beneficiary of the other quality players on the line and having enough talent to take advantage of that.

we are on the same page.

Bills starting front four should all be an O coordinators sleepless night or two.

If Yarborough Jerel and Adolphus can show? Well this might be a couple Tons O' fun

we are on the same page.

Bills starting front four should all be an O coordinators sleepless night or two.

If Yarborough Jerel and Adolphus can show? Well this might be a couple Tons O' fun

Just in limited snaps.....you hope that guys like that give you enough quality reps just to give yoru starters a blow or fill in a game if someone gets nicked up. Personally I think our DL is actually a strength

I actually like guys like Worthy....gives a huge effort

OLB.

Plopped in for game reps? :lol: He was available for the final 10 games. :doh:

And he played with his hand in the dirt not in space like an OLB........calling him an OLB is like saying Rex had Mario dropping into coverage a lot.......HIGHLY inaccurate.

And he played with his hand in the dirt not in space like an OLB........calling him an OLB is like saying Rex had Mario dropping into coverage a lot.......HIGHLY inaccurate.

he had one start.one. so technically he WAS just plopped in for reps. Also, Mario dropped into coverage 28 times in 2015, compared to only 13 times in 2014. So he did actually drop bqck into coverage alot more. Roughly 60% more. While 28 might not seem ALOT, the percentage sure was

Just in limited snaps.....you hope that guys like that give you enough quality reps just to give yoru starters a blow or fill in a game if someone gets nicked up. Personally I think our DL is actually a strength

I actually like guys like Worthy....gives a huge effort

Worthy is good depth. The DEs is where we are light on depth. as far as interior tho were good. Yardboro or watever da fck his name is, is moving up the depth chart to 2nd string tho, thats good to see

Cmon bro. youre smart enough to remember Rex had Shaq setting the edge on almost every play out there while blitzing other LBs and DBs in place. Thats the RR scheme. the front are used as run blocking space eaters and the blitzes come from outside of that. Plus Shaq coming off injury and having his 1st practices on a game week with no TC to bulk up and cut fat to move lighter def cost him a few steps and had us calling him slow but it looks like hes back to form this season. Ill bet hes ANYONE hes Over 6 sacks this season

Edited by Marty McFly