Metal Detectors - experience, advice?

boyst

I'm trying to find a hobby for my dad to take up since he just sits his ass inside all day and dundu nuffin.

anyone here use metal detectors? with the farm and the history of the land (revolutionary war & civil war, and the Indian stuff i find regularly) i am wondering if it is an easy enough hobby that won't require a ton of money?

amazon has detectors for $200ish but also sells a ton of extra stuff and fancy kits.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Digging through old poop to find hidden treasures is a blast and can be very lucrative near battlegrounds in the south.

Rebels tossed anything military related down the out house poop holes to hide their identity in some instances.

Privy poker/ finder is the tool used to find them...

I took my detector down to the local privy and it was ringing like my phone in a movie theater. I started digging expecting some sweet, sweet booty only to find nothing but copper tubing and pipes. I don't get it? I followed all the instructions. Not only did I find nothing of value, my property management is threatening eviction. Hate you guys!!!!

Edited by Jauronimo

Enjoying treasure hunting as a hobby is somewhat dependent on finding treasures,

and why I urge people to buy good equipment if you can afford it.

any insights on what is worth it? whats not? i have two creeks/rivers come together on my property along a railroad line http://dc.lib.unc.edu/cdm/ref/collection/ncmaps/id/2082 i own wher eabbotts creek forks and the railroad line runs parallel

the railroad dates back to early 19th century

I took my detector down to the local privy and it was ringing like my phone in a movie theater. I started digging expecting some sweet, sweet booty only to find nothing but copper tubing and pipes. I don't get it? I followed all the instructions. Not only did I find nothing of value, my property management is threatening eviction. Hate you guys!!!!

The local privy has probably been worked over,

virgin ground is what you need.

any insights on what is worth it? whats not? i have two creeks/rivers come together on my property along a railroad line http://dc.lib.unc.edu/cdm/ref/collection/ncmaps/id/2082 i own wher eabbotts creek forks and the railroad line runs parallel

the railroad dates back to early 19th century

Owning or having access to property with some history to metal detect on is key.

My advice is to get in touch with a local dealer that carries FIsher and set up for a demonstration to find out what works good for your pops.

(check out model F75)

Edited by Figster

Okay... Why not just call it an outhouse?

What's with these archaic British terms making a God awful trendy comeback? Privy? Whilst? Get real...

All these years I had to hear my father thump his chest on how he grew up using an outhouse until he joined the Army and was able to use a flush toilet in Basic...Yada yada... How kids got it soft now.. Yada yada yada... You think they called it a "privy" in Cheektowaga back in the day... He weeps for you softies. :-P :-/

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I expect far more than two. Add me to the list! Or maybe a metal plate in his head, or something about loose screws post-surgery. :)

back before 9/11 my dad would travel a lot with work and other guys. they would cut out aluminum foil guns and place them in a page of the book. "hey mike, you got a long flight, here, try this book, it's fantastic."