Metal Detectors - experience, advice?

boyst

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Cool! You are one BRAVE and fearless Guy!

I didn't link my quote above, it was just a quick Google search. I am not sure what kind of "legs" the whole black light/illumination approach has when it comes to developing a practical portable detector, but I am glad I tweaked your curiosity!

Should we be scared! ;-)

You Guys were talking about "privy hunting"... This is kind of on topic:

I could show you some real interesting places if one could get access. One of the public health missions of the lock & dam (controlling works) I work @ is to aid in flushing of the Chicago canal system, ie: basically acting as a 1/2 mile long "water closet." Right above the controlling works is where Metro Water Reclamation District (MWRD) have the "schit/mud/sludge flats" for the Chicago area. Kind of a shore bird sanctuary to the untrained eye. Milwaukee sells Milorganite, here in Chicago they basically take all the area sewer sludge and lay it out to bake, cook off and disinfect in the sun. We dilute by flushing the water passing through the drainage, flood control, & navigation systems. The sun disinfects, the migratory birds are in shoreline paradise, water is controlled, & boats pass on by.

Anyway... Just imagine what kind of "schit" one could find in a place like that! It's one big "privy hunt!" Imagine the secrets it may hold.

Do you have a full HazMat suit? ;-)

I am not sure if I should be grossed out or fascinated by whatever could have found it's way through the Chicago area's sewer system. I imagine it could be very fascinating!

Just poop for thought! :-)

Figster the brave and fearless pooper scooper man, hahaha

Edited by Figster

Figster the brave and fearless pooper scooper man, hahaha

I am curious now. Do you really find a lot of good schit (pun intended). ;-)

This sounds like a great hobby. I might want to get one of these things and go hunting around... Especially @ work, so much untouched area and loads of time on my hands.

All this time /dev had me convinced the answer was in the gratuitous Free Cell playing. :-/

Is this a good one... Price seems reasonable:

https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-F22-Metal-Detector/dp/B010FB32IU

This sounds like a great hobby. I might want to get one of these things and go hunting around... Especially @ work, so much untouched area and loads of time on my hands.

All this time /dev had me convinced the answer was in the gratuitous Free Cell playing. :-/

It goes 9 in. deep. You sure you can handle that?

It goes 9 in. deep. You sure you can handle that?

I am a ditch digger by trade. I do make it flow backwards on the "schit ditch" too.

Anyway... I just installed the wife's "Little Free Library" in the front yard (please don't ask... Go there). I installed it on a 46" concrete pier that I dug in the horrendous clay soil... By hand, no cheating. I am a Federal employee... So of course, I over built it while running horrendously over budget. It's well below frost line and I guarantee it will be obsolete & fall over in two years.

I think I can handle 9".

Okay, you asked:

https://littlefreelibrary.org

nav-logo.jpg

I am a ditch digger by trade. I do make it flow backwards on the "schit ditch" too.

Anyway... I just installed the wife's "Little Free Library" in the front yard (please don't ask... Go there). I installed it on a 46" concrete pier that I dug in the horrendous clay soil... By hand, no cheating. I am a Federal employee... So of course, I over built it while running horrendously over budget. It's well below frost line and I guarantee it will be obsolete & fall over in two years.

I think I can handle 9".

Okay, you asked:

https://littlefreelibrary.org

nav-logo.jpg

Ditch digger would be given all kinds of good opportunities because getting permission to dig in lucrative areas is key.

Get an F75

Awww man, would I ever...

Ditch digger would be given all kinds of good opportunities because getting permission to dig in lucrative areas is key.

Get an F75

Awww man, would I ever...

Thanks. Basically, @ work built in 1960... The whole thing was back filled in. It looked like Mars in 1960... Could see all the way to Lake Michigan 7 miles away. Now, all trees and park land. Even in the water, we yanked out a bronze propeller that looked like this:

MIWHEEL-Propeller--DJ-X-IMG_1004_100_95_

And only because the zebra mussels cleared up the water so much we could see it on the bottom of the lock chamber, 20' down sunlight glinting off of it. Amazingly, no mussels on it? Our huge smallmouth paradise probably kept it clean? I snagged prop with the treble hook used to drag for a body.

Do they make anything that can go on a boat, waterproof. Or can all the heads of a metal detector be submerged? Extensions added. That could be a gold mine!

Don't do it as a get rich quick scheme, but as a ditch digger by trade , you might.

The reason old outhouse/privy locations yield hidden treasures is because glass and other old items were dumped in them many years ago like a mini land fill.

Garbage/ glass from back then if intact (bottles ect.) in many instances has value.

Thanks. Basically, @ work built in 1960... The whole thing was back filled in. It looked like Mars in 1960... Could see all the way to Lake Michigan 7 miles away. Now, all trees and park land. Even in the water, we yanked out a bronze propeller that looked like this:

And only because the zebra mussels cleared up the water so much we could see it on the bottom of the lock chamber, 20' down sunlight glinting off of it. Amazingly, no mussels on it? Our huge smallmouth paradise probably kept it clean? I snagged prop with the treble hook used to drag for a body.

Do they make anything that can go on a boat, waterproof. Or can all the heads of a metal detector be submerged? Extensions added. That could be a gold mine!

They make detectors that can be submerged, I've used a Tesero Tiger Shark that really does well IMO, good for diving.

Interesting. Doesn't make sense that prop was in there for long and came out clean. Everything breaks down. Still have a lot of bass with all the zebra mussels? I think they have effected the population in the thousand islands at least. Them and the gobies.

Don't do it as a get rich quick scheme, but as a ditch digger by trade , you might.

The reason old outhouse/privy locations yield hidden treasures is because glass and other old items were dumped in them many years ago like a mini land fill.

Garbage/ glass from back then if intact (bottles ect.) in many instances has value.

They make detectors that can be submerged, I've used a Tesero Tiger Shark that really does well IMO, good for diving.

Really? Glass...??? During dewatering I found old soda bottle that workers left. Probably not much, but cool.

Same thing when I mow across river... Find those old short, stubby beer bottle from when the kids would party back there in 1960s-70s. It has been long since fenced off.

Again, not worth much, but may have hidden older stuff. I look at it as cool, just a nostalgia thing mostly.

Everything is backfilled and stuff gets exposed as soil washes away in areas.

Interesting. Doesn't make sense that prop was in there for long and came out clean. Everything breaks down. Still have a lot of bass with all the zebra mussels? I think they have effected the population in the thousand islands at least. Them and the gobies.

Old screw. Probably fell off a medium sized tug, years ago. Boat probably had two screws.

Now... I digress on fishing. Better than 1,000 Islands and all under our noses. In city limits!

Some, if NOT, the best, biggest smalls in country... Hidden secret, tucked away and hidden away right in the middle of industry. I schit you not! I probably should keep it secret, keep reading, all kinds of problems now.

Smallmouth heaven! The whole lock and dam is built on metal sheetpiling "cells." Everything is backfilled 20 feet deep.

Smallies love the structure. Repeat, smallmouth LOVE STRUCTURE especially with a constant food supply (goby & zebra mussels). Lock chamber botton is concrete. And... It never gets fished, until now, the secret is seeping out. Its like playing in the middle of a freeway though.

Getting contentious here with the big money bass tourneys... The way the law (USC 33 cfr 207.300, sec. r) is written, fishing is technically off limits except in "designated fishing areas", which we don't have any accessible by boat... but we are not an enforcement agency. We expect people to follow rules and comply. We turn blind eye when somebody is just minding own business, being safe, and not a problem getting in way... Smallmouth has exploded. They gobble the invasive round goby and thick layers of zebra mussels... All the while using the superb human structure they love. You drop a line in lock or along guidewalls, you will yank out monsters!

Here's the prob... Seems last weekend two teens caught tourney winning smallies in lock. Now, other guys are protesting and want the catch DQ'd. It's a real mess. No way will they (USACE) make area a "designated fishing area." It would be like saying it is okay to rollerblade or play street hockey in the middle of the I-90 when traffic is light.

I digress though... But people really spoil a good thing and fighting over $$$$$ usually precipitates it!

Old screw. Probably fell off a medium sized tug, years ago. Boat probably had two screws.

Now... I digress on fishing. Better than 1,000 Islands and all under our noses. In city limits!

Some, if NOT, the best, biggest smalls in country... Hidden secret, tucked away and hidden away right in the middle of industry. I schit you not! I probably should keep it secret, keep reading, all kinds of problems now.

Smallmouth heaven! The whole lock and dam is built on metal sheetpiling "cells." Everything is backfilled 20 feet deep.

Smallies love the structure. Repeat, smallmouth LOVE STRUCTURE especially with a constant food supply (goby & zebra mussels). Lock chamber botton is concrete. And... It never gets fished, until now, the secret is seeping out. Its like playing in the middle of a freeway though.

Getting contentious here with the big money bass tourneys... The way the law (USC 33 cfr 207.300, sec. r) is written, fishing is technically off limits except in "designated fishing areas", which we don't have any accessible by boat... but we are not an enforcement agency. We expect people to follow rules and comply. We turn blind eye when somebody is just minding own business, being safe, and not a problem getting in way... Smallmouth has exploded. They gobble the invasive round goby and thick layers of zebra mussels... All the while using the superb human structure they love. You drop a line in lock or along guidewalls, you will yank out monsters!

Here's the prob... Seems last weekend two teens caught tourney winning smallies in lock. Now, other guys are protesting and want the catch DQ'd. It's a real mess. No way will they (USACE) make area a "designated fishing area." It would be like saying it is okay to rollerblade or play street hockey in the middle of the I-90 when traffic is light.

I digress though... But people really spoil a good thing and fighting over $$$$$ usually precipitates it!

Wow, sounds like heaven. Small mouth are my favorite, it's all we ever fish for anymore. Haven't had much luck with the northern pike for years

Really? Glass...??? During dewatering I found old soda bottle that workers left. Probably not much, but cool.

Same thing when I mow across river... Find those old short, stubby beer bottle from when the kids would party back there in 1960s-70s. It has been long since fenced off.

Again, not worth much, but may have hidden older stuff. I look at it as cool, just a nostalgia thing mostly.

Everything is backfilled and stuff gets exposed as soil washes away in areas.

Go onto ebay and price some of the 18th century bottles