Chinese Flying Lanterns

Any trick to getting these things flying?

Went to Chinatown in Chicago for dim sum on Sunday and picked up a few of these flying lanterns.

@ work... We tried to launch a few. Both duds, both developed holes even though I was careful lighting and handling. Used handheld torch on ultra low to light. Lit well & fast, but they wouldn't fly. Calm winds... Patched quickly a hole. But the hole wasn't caused by flame or man handling the things... Cheap Chinese duds? ;-)

Anybody have luck... Or should I just wait for cold weather to launch the other two I have?

Tips, tricks, anybody have luck flying them, getting them launched without burning down the farm and killing the cows. ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I have no specific knowledge other than people were launching these things all over the place where I watched fireworks last night. Don't think the temperature has anything to do with it.

I know... Not rocket surgery.

Think I got duds... I should storm down there and give them a piece of my mind! :-) ;-) Time to try a different brand? Or order the gross of them off of Amazon.

LoL

I have no specific knowledge other than people were launching these things all over the place where I watched fireworks last night. Don't think the temperature has anything to do with it.

Same here. An unusual amount. I get kind of scared by those; seems like they could come down and catch something on fire.

I see those and I just think of trash and fire hazard. Last year, I was at a festival where they were going to be shooting off a large fireworks display. One idiot kept lighting and sending them up in the air. Which way did they float? If you said towards the already setup fireworks, you win a prize!

I saw them flying last night, saw one in a tree at the little wild life preserve around the corner this morning

Mine said: biodegradable. Probably why it did not fly. ;-)

Just bamboo, paper & wax and thin piece of wire.

Come to think of it... That wire... Is the brace for the wax candle, right? Run loop in hole through candle and have fuel supply just sit there in middle of bamboo ring. ??

Not really clear instructions & English is my second language too!

Come to think of it... That wire... Is the brace for the wax candle, right? Run loop in hole through candle and have fuel supply just sit there in middle of bamboo ring. ??

The ones I saw being launched up close....I was astounded that they didn't instantly burst into flames. They were teetering back and forth, and the flames were clearly touching the "fabric." I just assumed that they were made of some type of flame retardant material.

Edit...wait, what? What is first language? How many languages to you speak?

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

The ones I saw being launched up close....I was astounded that they didn't instantly burst into flames. They were teetering back and forth, and the flames were clearly touching the "fabric." I just assumed that they were made of some type of flame retardant material.

Edit...wait, what? What is first language? How many languages to you speak?

He he....

On the package I noticed it said that the paper is "fireproof"... God knows what the Chinese treat it with? Didn't stop slight tear holes. I was careful to unfold them as per instructions.

They crashed, I soaked them with water before throwing them in garbage can. Boy that ink on the paper made a mess!

I made sure there were no pertol-chem barges, via marine AiS , within a five mile radius. ;-) ;-)

Maybe a blessing these things were duds, I am reading a lot of schit about these things. ;-)

The paper and bamboo is but, since when is wire is biodegradable?

Wow, that is fast, you gotta buy better steel JBoy! Order some from California, it lasts 50 to 100 years.

it'll last me that long, usually, just swear i fix the same spots over and over again. its all about where it is. if its too tight against a tree the tree rots it quick

it'll last me that long, usually, just swear i fix the same spots over and over again. its all about where it is. if its too tight against a tree the tree rots it quick

Just out of curiosity, what kind of tree? I've seen barbed wire grown over by scrub oaks for 50 years or more here in California. I wonder if the tree sap is corrosive or something?