Best Opening Sequence to a Movie

boyst

:thumbsup:

Idiocracy is one of those cult classics. Either you haven't seen it, seen it and didn't get it, or think it's one of the greatest comedies ever.

It's a great comedy, but a frightening documentary.

:thumbsup:

Idiocracy is one of those cult classics. Either you haven't seen it, seen it and didn't get it, or think it's one of the greatest comedies ever.

I'm in the third category

I kind of wish that they would re-make Idiocracy. It is a great premise but as I recall, the storyline sort of falls apart midway through. I bet someone could re-make it with a much funnier, tighter storyline. The premise and opening though are classic.

This is exactly what I think, too!..............I was going to reply to dev's statement that I am a fourth - I've seen it, I got it, at first I thought this is going to be one of the greatest comedies ever, and then I got bored with it after a while. Because of exactly what you said - the premise and opening are classic, then it falls apart.

I LOVE Beavis and Butthead - and I think Mike Judge is more suited for shorter bursts than full movies. Come to think of it - I thought the B&B dragged after awhile, too.

Agree with what already has been posted: "JAWS", "Star Wars", "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

I would add, "Once Upon A Time in the West". Not just the opening scene, but the second scene as well.

"The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring".

This was my clear number 1! Can never hear a helicopter fly by without having "The End" start playing immediately in my head.

This is number my #2 as well - Sergio Leone's "Once upon a time in the West". First time I saw it, I said WTF is goin on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QML28YQBvyc

Agree with what already has been posted: "JAWS", "Star Wars", "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

I would add, "Once Upon A Time in the West". Not just the opening scene, but the second scene as well.

"The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring".

Heck, the whole darn movie.

Edited by Tony P

Some of my favorites that I can recall:

Se7en

The Shining

Goodfellas - Also has an amazing opening line to go with it "As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster"

Jurassic Park

Mission Impossible 3

Funny Games - which is actually a tip of the cap to The Shinning

The Big Lebowski

And pretty much what others have said, Indiana Jones trilogy, some of the Bond films and the Dark Knight.

I'd also say pretty much anything David Fincher does opening scene wise to a movie, is pretty good. Fight Club, The Social Network, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo along with Se7en. Same goes for Kubrick films.

2001 A Space Odyssey

Dr. Zhivago.

I presume you are talking about the opening credits scenes to these movies?

Because if you are I agree with both of you.

"Se7en" with that creepy music, twisted film strip and seeing the grotesque images of what John Doe keeps with him.

"2001: A Space Odyssey" having that powerful music and seeing the shot of the moon leading to the reveal of Earth and the Sun. Spectacular.

Other great opening credits scenes I love are: "Watchmen", "Ed Wood" & "Edward Scissorhands".

I presume you are talking about the opening credits scenes to these movies?

Because if you are I agree with both of you.

"Se7en" with that creepy music, twisted film strip and seeing the grotesque images of what John Doe keeps with him.

Yup.

David Fincher and Kyle Cooper really turned the opening credits into an "opening scene." There were a couple movies previously were guys like Saul Bass worked on the opening credits but Cooper, IMO, really changed the way movies open. Instead of just scrolling text he took the opportunity to expand the movie.

I'm sure I'll get laughed at, but as far as the Horror genre goes, the opening scene to Scream was incredible. That was a gruesome and chilling murder scene. What a way to start a movie.

That is a good opening scene.

"Scream" may not have longevity, but it was a fun way of adding itself into the horror genre.

Both.

Other classics that grab you right off the bat:

Inglorious Bastards

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Jaws

Several Bond movies

I was going to mention this one as the best opening of any Tarantino's movies imo. Also introduced me to Christoph Waltz's talents.

For cartoons I'd go with The Lion King and Up.

no words spoken the first 30 minutes it seems. It is compelling because the scenery, the photography, and close ups of facial expression. An epic film

Some of the best lines in movies came out of that movie. DCTom just quoted one but I'll toss out another one. "The state will give you $10,000 for my head, how much did they give you for your legs?"

Stop encouraging Batfleck!

(Kidding, I think he's becoming a fine director... :beer:)

Meh....cartoonish violence, flipping over desks, etc., none of which serves any purpose. Typical mindless, modern crap.

I'll take Dog Day Afternoon, A Fish Called Wanda or Butch Cassidy for bank robberies.

Meh....cartoonish violence, flipping over desks, etc., none of which serves any purpose. Typical mindless, modern crap.

I'll take Dog Day Afternoon, A Fish Called Wanda or Butch Cassidy for bank robberies.

Have you actually seen the movie? It's not cartoonish or mindless at all, IMO. Good story. Good acting. Well directed. Give it a chance old timer!

(M)

(Dazed and Confused)

I took a films class in college. We watched M. And I will always remember this film. Dark German films, from a dark German era. It is one of the better films I have seen. Battleship Potemkin, Bonnie and Clyde, Persona, Birth of a Nation, Citizen Kane, Annie Hall...were a few of the other films we watched

Some of the best lines in movies came out of that movie. DCTom just quoted one but I'll toss out another one. "The state will give you $10,000 for my head, how much did they give you for your legs?"

There are two kinds of people in this world, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

I was going to mention this one as the best opening of any Tarantino's movies imo. Also introduced me to Christoph Waltz's talents.

For cartoons I'd go with The Lion King and Up.

Excellent choices.

For comedies I would add:

"Ghostbusters", and I'm including Dr. Venkman's study on negative enforcement on ESP ability.

"Beverly Hills Cop"

One of my favorites in a while. The Town.

Stop encouraging Batfleck!

(Kidding, I think he's becoming a fine director... :beer:)

Have you actually seen the movie? It's not cartoonish or mindless at all, IMO. Good story. Good acting. Well directed. Give it a chance old timer!

I think "The Town" is overrated. As far as Ben Affleck directed movies, I would say that "Gone, Baby, Gone", is a much better film.

I know a lot of people love "Argo", and it is a very good movie, but it did not deserve all the awards it won.

I think "The Town" is overrated. As far as Ben Affleck directed movies, I would say that "Gone, Baby, Gone", is a much better film.

I know a lot of people love "Argo", and it is a very good movie, but it did not deserve all the awards it won.

Interesting. Overrated by whom? And relative to what?

Anyway, responding directly to the OP's question. I love the opening sequence to The Town. Thrown right into he middle of a modern bank robbery. Dudes with scary masks. The getaway scene is pretty cool. Love it.

I took a films class in college. We watched M. And I will always remember this film. Dark German films, from a dark German era. It is one of the better films I have seen. Battleship Potemkin, Bonnie and Clyde, Persona, Birth of a Nation, Citizen Kane, Annie Hall...were a few of the other films we watched

My buddies and I decided to try and watch the entire imdb.com Top 250 movie list. None of us finished, we pretty much all got bored with it but this movie stuck with me. You get so much information about the plot of the movie in the few minutes it's amazing.

Interesting. Overrated by whom? And relative to what?

Anyway, responding directly to the OP's question. I love the opening sequence to The Town. Thrown right into he middle of a modern bank robbery. Dudes with scary masks. The getaway scene is pretty cool. Love it.

Just by how many people who told me how great "The Town" was, and that I really needed to see it. Also by the high marks it got from critics.

I thought it was an alright movie. Affleck is a better director than he is an actor, so his presence doesn't really add much. Rebecca Hall is good and so is Jeremy Renner, but did he really deserve an Oscar nomination for best supporting actor?

I just wasn't as impressed by this film as others were, that's all.

Just by how many people who told me how great "The Town" was, and that I really needed to see it. Also by the high marks it got from critics.

I thought it was an alright movie. Affleck is a better director than he is an actor, so his presence doesn't really add much. Rebecca Hall is good and so is Jeremy Renner, but did he really deserve an Oscar nomination for best supporting actor?

I just wasn't as impressed by this film as others were, that's all.

Gotcha. I really enjoyed it (obviously), and I think Jeremy Renner was particularly awesome in this film. To each his/her own I suppose.