Best Opening Sequence to a Movie

boyst

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop encouraging Batfleck!

(Kidding, I think he's becoming a fine director... :beer:)

Meh....cartoonish violence, flipping over desks, etc., none of which serves any purpose. Typical mindless, modern crap.

I'll take Dog Day Afternoon, A Fish Called Wanda or Butch Cassidy for bank robberies.

Meh....cartoonish violence, flipping over desks, etc., none of which serves any purpose. Typical mindless, modern crap.

I'll take Dog Day Afternoon, A Fish Called Wanda or Butch Cassidy for bank robberies.

Have you actually seen the movie? It's not cartoonish or mindless at all, IMO. Good story. Good acting. Well directed. Give it a chance old timer!

(M)

(Dazed and Confused)

I took a films class in college. We watched M. And I will always remember this film. Dark German films, from a dark German era. It is one of the better films I have seen. Battleship Potemkin, Bonnie and Clyde, Persona, Birth of a Nation, Citizen Kane, Annie Hall...were a few of the other films we watched

Some of the best lines in movies came out of that movie. DCTom just quoted one but I'll toss out another one. "The state will give you $10,000 for my head, how much did they give you for your legs?"

There are two kinds of people in this world, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

I was going to mention this one as the best opening of any Tarantino's movies imo. Also introduced me to Christoph Waltz's talents.

For cartoons I'd go with The Lion King and Up.

Excellent choices.

For comedies I would add:

"Ghostbusters", and I'm including Dr. Venkman's study on negative enforcement on ESP ability.

"Beverly Hills Cop"

One of my favorites in a while. The Town.

Stop encouraging Batfleck!

(Kidding, I think he's becoming a fine director... :beer:)

Have you actually seen the movie? It's not cartoonish or mindless at all, IMO. Good story. Good acting. Well directed. Give it a chance old timer!

I think "The Town" is overrated. As far as Ben Affleck directed movies, I would say that "Gone, Baby, Gone", is a much better film.

I know a lot of people love "Argo", and it is a very good movie, but it did not deserve all the awards it won.

I think "The Town" is overrated. As far as Ben Affleck directed movies, I would say that "Gone, Baby, Gone", is a much better film.

I know a lot of people love "Argo", and it is a very good movie, but it did not deserve all the awards it won.

Interesting. Overrated by whom? And relative to what?

Anyway, responding directly to the OP's question. I love the opening sequence to The Town. Thrown right into he middle of a modern bank robbery. Dudes with scary masks. The getaway scene is pretty cool. Love it.

I took a films class in college. We watched M. And I will always remember this film. Dark German films, from a dark German era. It is one of the better films I have seen. Battleship Potemkin, Bonnie and Clyde, Persona, Birth of a Nation, Citizen Kane, Annie Hall...were a few of the other films we watched

My buddies and I decided to try and watch the entire imdb.com Top 250 movie list. None of us finished, we pretty much all got bored with it but this movie stuck with me. You get so much information about the plot of the movie in the few minutes it's amazing.

Interesting. Overrated by whom? And relative to what?

Anyway, responding directly to the OP's question. I love the opening sequence to The Town. Thrown right into he middle of a modern bank robbery. Dudes with scary masks. The getaway scene is pretty cool. Love it.

Just by how many people who told me how great "The Town" was, and that I really needed to see it. Also by the high marks it got from critics.

I thought it was an alright movie. Affleck is a better director than he is an actor, so his presence doesn't really add much. Rebecca Hall is good and so is Jeremy Renner, but did he really deserve an Oscar nomination for best supporting actor?

I just wasn't as impressed by this film as others were, that's all.

Just by how many people who told me how great "The Town" was, and that I really needed to see it. Also by the high marks it got from critics.

I thought it was an alright movie. Affleck is a better director than he is an actor, so his presence doesn't really add much. Rebecca Hall is good and so is Jeremy Renner, but did he really deserve an Oscar nomination for best supporting actor?

I just wasn't as impressed by this film as others were, that's all.

Gotcha. I really enjoyed it (obviously), and I think Jeremy Renner was particularly awesome in this film. To each his/her own I suppose.