Most likely TANK theory I've heard thus far...

#34fan

I don't know if I would agree with that one.

That's not to say that they're not going to try to win every game they play this season. But teams pushing for immediate wins are usually successful teams with a slew of expensive veterans and looming cap issues. Those teams are at the end of - or in the middle of - their window for a championship run, or at least a deep playoff run. They trade future draft capital for immediate impact and extend themselves with the cap (creating future issues) so they can afford to keep older key, expensive players. They also aggressively fill out their rosters with aging vets as short term fixes. The Bills have really done very little of that. They have largely done the opposite.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm skeptical of the Bills "playing a long term game" this season simply because what they've done this season pretty much looks like what they've done in the past: fired a poor coach; hired a new one with, at best, modest NFL credentials; let an expensive proven DB walk and filled in his spot with a first round rookie; let other proven veterans leave and signed cheaper ones to replace them. So, to a lot of fans, it just looks like the same old, same old. Among the most frustrated, the idea of tanking to get the #1 pick seems a reasonable way to break the cycle.

Realistically, the Bills aren't tanking for the #1 pick in 2018 but just doing what they've been doing for this entire century, although there's an outside chance that maybe they really do have a long term plan but the initial stages look similar to past actions. If, however, McDermott turns out to be a dud or if Taylor gets hurt or something similar happens, the Bills might very well wind up drafting in the top 3 or 5 of the draft, possibly even #1. That's no guarantee that there will be a QB worth taking at #1, though. If the Bills had had the #1 pick in the 2006, 2007, 2010 or 2013 draft, they still wouldn't have a franchise QB while if they'd drafted smarter in 2004 or 2012 they would, which seems to be the reality that the "tank for a QB" posters can't seem to understand.

A pair of first round picks next year (one relatively high) gets the ball rolling in a big way... Especially if your FQB or FDT is there... Filling those two spots early is a desirable situation for any HC/GM combo.

-Especially a new one... If your guys aren't there, a trade-down scenario helps the team amass picks... The "tank" will hurt for one season, and then it will be over... Sure it's a risk... But the most foolish risk, is never taking

one at all.. I think we'd be okay.

So, with the #1 pick, your 1 or 2 win team should trade down to amass more picks and pass on Bruce Smith or JJ Watt so the next year it can trade half those picks to trade up to grab Robert Griffin III? Brilliant! The teams that have started their runs to the Super Bowl using that strategy are too numerous to count!

Edited by SoTier

So, with the #1 pick, your 1 or 2 win team should trade down to amass more picks and pass on Bruce Smith or JJ Watt so the next year it can trade half those picks to trade up to grab Robert Griffin III? Brilliant! The teams that have started their runs to the Super Bowl using that strategy are too numerous to count!

They're not obligated to pick if their guy isn't there... If he is, pull the trigger... If not, parlay the pick into a couple more... 2 #1's (One in the top 5) is a good start... 2-14 TEN got the ball Rolling with Mariota... 2-14 Indy got it

going with Luck... Wash, rinse, dry, -repeat is punishment for the fans.. Let's NOT piece together another 7-9 team in 2018.....

Edited by #34fan

can we start being mean to people who continually bring up 17 years? we !@#$ing get it already.

thumbsup.gif

Sure... Because that would make the issue go away, wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

It's the first thing out of the mouth of media commentators when discussing the Buffalo Bills... TV, internet, radio, take your pick....At least threads like this discuss ways of ENDING the protracted drought.

You may not like the methods being discussed, but gag-orders on phrases like "tanking", and "17 year drought" expose how devoid of hope you really are... GO BILLS! -Even if it means tanking in an attempt to end the now 17-year, drought.

Edited by #34fan

It's the first thing out of the mouth of media commentators when discussing the Buffalo Bills... TV, internet, radio, take your pick....At least threads like this discuss ways of ENDING the protracted drought.

You may not like the methods being discussed, but gag-orders on phrases like "tanking", and "17 year drought" reveal how devoid of hope you really are... GO BILLS! -Even if it means tanking in an attempt to end the now 17-year, drought.

no. this is nonsense. you constantly mentioning 17 years will have nothing to do with breaking the drought. it's just you finding the most uncreative, uninteresting way to beat a topic to death. and no...no every member of the media keep bringing it up. most have moved on from it. tanking this year isn't happening, no matter how many times you mention 17 years. get over it already.

no. this is nonsense. you constantly mentioning 17 years will have nothing to do with breaking the drought. it's just you finding the most uncreative, uninteresting way to beat a topic to death. and no...no every member of the media keep bringing it up. most have moved on from it. tanking this year isn't happening, no matter how many times you mention 17 years. get over it already.

I've got a better Idea... -Collect your grumpy pals, and BAIL on the thread. I won't come looking for you guys, I promise.

While I agree that the drought has nothing to do with the possibility of tanking this year, I still think that the idea of the Bills tanking is not far-fetched.

What have they done since the end of last season that tells you they're committed to making a playoff run this year? Which of the players they let walk have they replaced with players who've proven they will be just as good/better than their predecessors?

While I agree that the drought has nothing to do with the possibility of tanking this year, I still think that the idea of the Bills tanking is not far-fetched.

What have they done since the end of last season that tells you they're committed to making a playoff run this year? Which of the players they let walk have they replaced with players who've proven they will be just as good/better than their predecessors?

Tanking this season is complete fantasy. #1 Pick White essentially replaced Gilmore as #2 Pick Zay Jones replaced Robert Woods. The backup RB Gillislee could be missed, but JWill has a chance to be productive in that role. There is much to be determined, but tanking? Nope!

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

You may not like the methods being discussed, but gag-orders on phrases like "tanking", and "17 year drought" expose how devoid of hope you really are... GO BILLS! -Even if it means tanking in an attempt to end the now 17-year, drought.

keep living in you fantasy nate, they're NOT tanking so deal with it.

it's been 17 years, did you know that, 17 years, 17. let that sink in, 17 years nate, 17...

GO BILLS!!!!

They're not obligated to pick if their guy isn't there... If he is, pull the trigger... If not, parlay the pick into a couple more... 2 #1's (One in the top 5) is a good start... 2-14 TEN got the ball Rolling with Mariota... 2-14 Indy got it

going with Luck... Wash, rinse, dry, -repeat is punishment for the fans.. Let's NOT piece together another 7-9 team in 2018.....

2016 would have been a WC if the defense had been as advertised. And your way only guarantees 18 years, with no assurances of the future.

Tanking this season is complete fantasy. #1 Pick White essentially replaced Gilmore as #2 Pick Zay Jones replaced Robert Woods. The backup RB Gillislee could be missed, but JWill has a chance to be productive in that role. There is much to be determined, but tanking? Nope!

These replacements you mention have never played in the NFL, which was exactly my point. And our #1 pick went to KC ... for the future.

These replacements you mention have never played in the NFL, which was exactly my point. And our #1 pick went to KC ... for the future.

Your point still does not in any way indicate tanking and "our" #1 pick was spent this year on White. They acquired an additional #1 in 2018 as you well know. The players mentioned have quite a bit to prove of course, but they have pedigree that predicts as certain measure of success as they (White and Jones) were both selected in the same rounds as the players they replaced. They have to show they can cut it at the NFL level, but I maintain that it in no way adds up to tanking.

Your point still does not in any way indicate tanking and "our" #1 pick was spent this year on White. They acquired an additional #1 in 2018 as you well know. The players mentioned have quite a bit to prove of course, but they have pedigree that predicts as certain measure of success as they (White and Jones) were both selected in the same rounds as the players they replaced. They have to show they can cut it at the NFL level, but I maintain that it in no way adds up to tanking.

Don't get me wrong - I was thrilled with the draft. But it was clearly a draft for the future. I've never been big on teams tanking. But, as I stated earlier, averaging 7 wins/year since 2000 hasn't done us any favors. We need a QB and that will never happen with a pick in the 10-12 area of the first round.

They let very, very good/great players just leave. And they replaced them with rookies. They took away our RB depth and the defense has to learn yet another new scheme. Rookie HC. Subpar QB.

I'm sorry, but this has tank written all over it, to me. But I respect that you and many others disagree.

Don't get me wrong - I was thrilled with the draft. But it was clearly a draft for the future. I've never been big on teams tanking. But, as I stated earlier, averaging 7 wins/year since 2000 hasn't done us any favors. We need a QB and that will never happen with a pick in the 10-12 area of the first round.

They let very, very good/great players just leave. And they replaced them with rookies. They took away our RB depth and the defense has to learn yet another new scheme. Rookie HC. Subpar QB.

I'm sorry, but this has tank written all over it, to me. But I respect that you and many others disagree.

You don't re-sign a 35 year old Lorenzo Alexander or bring back Tyrod and Kyle Williams to tank a season. It doesn't add up.