Sal C: the ten Bills players to protect/expansion draft.

JM2009

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's reasonable, my ten:

- Shady

- Tyrod

- Sammy

- Cordy

- Zay

- Hughes

- Shaq

- White

- Darby

- Hyde

I like this one, no way Dareus is on the list for me due to his salary and the amount of times he has let the team and fans down. He is worthless suspended and he is high risk for that

You never know which Dareus you'll get.

43 base. Attack the QB Dareus, he's proven he can dominate in the run and pass rush in this specific scheme. I'd protect him, obviously if I felt he was 110% focused and done puffing the magic dragon.

I like your list. Id have Dareus on their and Ragland who I think is going to be a stud/staple of this defense for years.

I'd replace Zay With Charles Clay on your list as well. Clay is a stud. He can do it all at the TE position. His loss would be a much bigger impact

Edit-

Taylor

Sammy

Shady

Glenn

Miller

Dareus

Darby

Ragland

Hyde

Shaq

Clay is my next man up.

Edited by JerseyBills

I think the thought process is because Dareus's contract is so bad, financially, with cap hits of $16m for the next 3 years the expansion team wouldn't select him. And if they did it would clear $66m off of the Bills cap. Do you believe Dareus has played up to the contract he was given?

Curious- when an expansion draft happens, does the player go to zero cap hit immediately or do you still have to amortize everything as if it was trade?

Curious- when an expansion draft happens, does the player go to zero cap hit immediately or do you still have to amortize everything as if it was trade?

For this scenario, Sal has said that everything financilally is released immidiatelely, so no amortizing.

I'm not exactly sure how it would practically happen.

Well, if we're going to take this little thought experiment seriously, and if we assume that players with under 2 years are exempt, then:

-The "please take this guy off my payroll" list: Dareus, Clay

- The "we'd be o.k. with keeping him, but we wouldn't be shattered if you took him" list: Hughes, Watkins (because he's unsigned beyond this year), Wood, Glenn, Kyle (sorry, it's not about you, it's about Father Time), Preston Brown, O'Leary, "Philly"

- The "we'll try to sneak him past the expansion draft, but we're really hoping nobody takes him" list: Tyrod, Richie, Micah Hyde (because we just decided he was worth the contract he just got), Jordan Poyer (same), Patrick DiMarco (same) and maybe Tolbert (same, but I can't think they're that excited about him), Lorax (same) Andre Holmes (same), Haushka (same), Jerel, Ducasse (same), Groy, Logan Thomas (the Bills have big plans for you, young man), Shady (because contract! not because of performance)

Which leaves us with the guys you'd want to protect under any circumstances, which is pretty uninspiring - basically the 2014-2015 draft/UFA class who are considered starter quality:

- Miller

- Darby

And right now I can't think of anyone else. This is why expansion teams are historically awful. The NFL is built around excess value found in pre-free agency players, and if you exempt players with 2 years service or less, the pickings are slim, particularly when you factor in that an expansion team isn't going to have the cap space to steal away everyone's Shady and Tyrod. But there's another point too with the Bills: really, Miller and Darby (and of course Sammy, and maybe Preston Brown?) are the only 3rd/4th year players expected to start? Yup. Doug Whaley, you really did a fine job in those 2014-15 drafts ...

Edited by The Frankish Reich