Sal C: the ten Bills players to protect/expansion draft.

JM2009

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/opinion/capaccio-10-bills-players-id-protect-if-there-was-nfl-expansion-draft

QB Tyrod Taylor

"Even though there was a debate about even bringing him back at all, now that he is going to be wearing a Bills uniform again, Taylor offers the only realistic option for the Bills to win football games as the regular starter under center. Add to that he has a very reasonable salary to deal with for a starting quarterback ($9.7 million cap hit). So a good - not great - starting QB making peanuts compared to most starters in the league (his 2017 cap hit ranks 21st among starting QBs), that's an easy call to protect. "

Interesting list.

You can make any rules you want for your own expansion draft. I went for optimal fun and debate here.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one that bugs me the most is not protecting Hughes, but then again I cannot say for sure who I would replace. Probably Dawkins, but I can't take too much issue with having two solid OTs.

I would have to agree that Dareus wouldn't be protected. Let some other team take on that contract if they want.

It's reasonable, my ten:

- Shady

- Tyrod

- Sammy

- Cordy

- Zay

- Hughes

- Shaq

- White

- Darby

- Hyde

I like that list better than Sals. He was exposing 3 out of the 4 starting DL, all the LBs and still wanted to remain competive. The expansion team, if running a 3-4, could snatch up Hughes and Dareus and the Bills would be left with a starting DL of Kyle Williams, Shaw Lawson, Adolphus Washington and ?

Dareus???

I think the thought process is because Dareus's contract is so bad, financially, with cap hits of $16m for the next 3 years the expansion team wouldn't select him. And if they did it would clear $66m off of the Bills cap. Do you believe Dareus has played up to the contract he was given?

I like that list better than Sals. He was exposing 3 out of the 4 starting DL, all the LBs and still wanted to remain competive. The expansion team, if running a 3-4, could snatch up Hughes and Dareus and the Bills would be left with a starting DL of Kyle Williams, Shaw Lawson, Adolphus Washington and ?

The way that I look at it is like the reverse of the draft. At the top you want QB, elite playmakers, elite DBs, LT and pass rush. I protected the best playmakers, pass rush (without Dareus' contract) and the young Dbs.

Dareus???

He's certainly a top 10 player but I would definitely expose that contract.

The way that I look at it is like the reverse of the draft. At the top you want QB, elite playmakers, elite DBs, LT and pass rush. I protected the best playmakers, pass rush (without Dareus' contract) and the young Dbs.

He's certainly a top 10 player but I would definitely expose that contract.

Yea I agree with that. Sal's pick of Dawkins, who will play RT and hasn't played a down in the NFL, is a bit of an odd choice.

In this fictional draft, is the expansion team allowed to take more than one player from a team?

If I were a fictional GM drafting from Sal's list I would probably use my 2 picks on Miller & Ragland. Even though I protected Hughes, 2 young starters on rookie deals would be a better situation for an expansion team.

I liked Rumblings' rules a bit better. They kept it so that 1st and 2nd year players were automatically exempt.

Hypothetical Protected Players List

• Sammy Watkins
  • Tyrod Taylor
  • LeSean McCoy
  • Marcell Dareus
  • Cordy Glenn
  • Charles Clay
  • Andre Holmes
  • Eric Wood
  • Jerel Worthy
  • Gerald Hodges
  • Micah Hyde
  • Jerry Hughes

<p>

I liked Rumblings' rules a bit better. They kept it so that 1st and 2nd year players were automatically exempt.

Hypothetical Protected Players List

• Sammy Watkins
  • Tyrod Taylor
  • LeSean McCoy
  • Marcell Dareus
  • Cordy Glenn
  • Charles Clay
  • Andre Holmes
  • Eric Wood
  • Jerel Worthy
  • Gerald Hodges
  • Micah Hyde
  • Jerry Hughes
If that's the case mine would be:

- Tyrod

- Sammy

- McCoy

- Hughes

- Hyde

- Miller

- Glenn

- Groy

- Clay

- Darby

Edit: forgot that Darby is over 2 years (sorry Richie)

Edited by Kirby Jackson