VETERAN WR OPTIONS

I just don't get why people like Quick over a Holmes/Streater. What has he done that they didn't do? If he was good - they wouldn't have spent 34 million on Bob Woods.

Right now it looks like Jones is taking over the Woods spot of #2, probably moving over to the slot in 3 WR formations. I don't think he's an upgrade there, but Woods always seemed to have a sore something... and he fell over a lot.

Holmes is #3, and Brown is #4. Last year that was goodwin/hunter. Goodwin has speed, but he isn't a red zone threat, and is a poor route runner. He didn't seem to have a good football sense/toughness either. Hunter was added mid-season so it's tough to evaluate him. Streater may provide some depth, and tate probably returns kicks. Watkins needs to healthy, and then we're better than a year ago. 1 Healthy watkins is a big upgrade over the 1/2 watkins we had a year ago.

Quick had 41 for 563 and 3 TDs vs. Woods 51 for 613 and 1 TD. They aren't terribly different. The bottom line is that Woods isn't a number 2. I know that may come across as blasphemous but he's not. He's a decent possession guy but no better than the guys we have. If Zay Jones isn't an upgrade this year, we should be disappointed.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick had 41 for 563 and 3 TDs vs. Woods 51 for 613 and 1 TD. They aren't terribly different. The bottom line is that Woods isn't a number 2. I know that may come across as blasphemous but he's not. He's a decent possession guy but no better than the guys we have. If Zay Jones isn't an upgrade this year, we should be disappointed.

I think Woods is a low end 2. Not a 2 is a tad unfair on him I think. I do think Zay's ceiling is higher for what it's worth.

Edited by GunnerBill

I think Woods is a low end 2. Not a 2 is a tad unfair on him I think. I do think Zay's ceiling is higher for what it's worth.

Maybe a low end 2. He's caught 4 TDs in 2 years. They've thrown at least 40. He isn't explosive and teams don't need to prepare for him. He's a piece but a piece that can be easily upgraded if someone is given the same opportunity. He's not bringing anything that Holmes and company aren't bringing besides blocking. If Jones doesn't catch 60 balls this year it will be disappointing (if healthy). I'd bet anything he catches 4+ TDs. He just has more tools than Woods.

Streater had 60 and 888 with 4 TDs in 2013. Holmes had 47 and 693 and 4 TDs in 2014.

Bottom line - quicks stats resemble streater and holmes. If he is cut - he will have missed OTAs, TC, Preseason, and a ton of time with the Tyrod. To me - it wouldn't make sense to bring him in unless he looked like a major upgrade

Maybe a low end 2. He's caught 4 TDs in 2 years. They've thrown at least 40. He isn't explosive and teams don't need to prepare for him. He's a piece but a piece that can be easily upgraded if someone is given the same opportunity. He's not bringing anything that Holmes and company aren't bringing besides blocking. If Jones doesn't catch 60 balls this year it will be disappointing (if healthy). I'd bet anything he catches 4+ TDs. He just has more tools than Woods.

I don't disagree.... as you well know I always thought Hogan was as good as Woods if not better (not trying to re-open out Hogan debate btw). I just think when you look around the league how many teams have a #2 that teams are legitimately designing defensive game plans around? I'd think a third of the league might be pushing it....

I don't disagree.... as you well know I always thought Hogan was as good as Woods if not better (not trying to re-open out Hogan debate btw). I just think when you look around the league how many teams have a #2 that teams are legitimately designing defensive game plans around? I'd think a third of the league might be pushing it....

Ones I came up with (I took out guys who play primarily in the slot, and I didn't use any rookies since i don't really know what their role will be)

M Crabtree

E Sanders

B marshall

M Jones

R Cobb

D Jax

J Brown

D Parker

M Wallace

T benjamin

Mostly just big guys, or speed guys. The possession route runners will always get their - 5 for 50 type of games.

Edited by dneveu

Fair assements on woods although blasphemous to be sure.

I see Woods as a very precise intermediate route runner with nice hands. If an offense features that set and has a QB that clicks with him, it's his most likely to find his production ceiling.

He lacks size, speed and shake to be a RAC threat or multifaceted.

The biggest accolade being, he's tough and rarely off the field.

Streater had 60 and 888 with 4 TDs in 2013. Holmes had 47 and 693 and 4 TDs in 2014.

Bottom line - quicks stats resemble streater and holmes. If he is cut - he will have missed OTAs, TC, Preseason, and a ton of time with the Tyrod. To me - it wouldn't make sense to bring him in unless he looked like a major upgrade

Don't disagree at all. I am not sure Quick is an upgrade. I was just saying that he's another guy "in that mix" potentially. Those guys are pretty interchangeable.

Maybe that's true but there are still #2 options that you need to worry about. Guys like Mike Wallace can do damage if you aren't careful. The same goes for guys like Willie Snead, Devante Parker, Sanu, etc... They can hurt you if you aren't prepared. Woods doesn't do that. Jones may do that.

Yeah, I always liked Woods but he rarely looked like a guy who could take over a game if we needed him to. He was a monster in the Seahawks game but outside of that he didn't really have any "wow" games come to mind. Not that he needs to be a superstar, but you want your #2 to be able to fill is as a 1 occasionally and be able to exploit weaker coverages provided the 2 guy. Maybe that's Tyrod's fault, or EJ's, but I don't think we are going to miss Woods outside of his blocking.

Definitely feel opportunity exists with the Steelers...here's their latest depth chart.

1. A.Brown

2. M. Bryant

3. E. Rogers

4. J.J. Smith-Schuler

5. D. Heyward-Bey

6. S. Coates

7. J. Hunter

I'd be happy with Coates or Hunter on our depth chart.

Definitely feel opportunity exists with the Steelers...here's their latest depth chart.

1. A.Brown

2. M. Bryant

3. E. Rogers

4. J.J. Smith-Schuler

5. D. Heyward-Bey

6. S. Coates

7. J. Hunter

I'd be happy with Coates or Hunter on our depth chart.

whats ours now

Sammy

Holmes

Jones

Brown

Streater

Ross/Tate

It would probably be hunter or heyward-bey. I don't think either of them is particularly good.

Can Lee Evans or Eric Moulds get back into shape? At this point how about Josh Reed? TO? Randy Moss?

For those that think I am serious... just look at the list that are available. The FA/Trade WR are not much better (except Decker) then these "old" guys. My point is we are going into the season with what we got, nothing is going to change that dynamic. None of these FA/trade guys are worth much and will not change our offense enough to make it worth while.

moulds is 5 yards away from 10000. I would love to get him that 5 yards.