Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Couldn't agree with this more.  He's a more important player than Conner McDavid was because there has literally NEVER been anyone like him.  We may have just won the most important draft lottery in NHL history.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Alaska Darin said:

Couldn't agree with this more.  He's a more important player than Conner McDavid was because there has literally NEVER been anyone like him.  We may have just won the most important draft lottery in NHL history.

I feel like this pick (Dahlin) has the potential to make all those other very painful misses - McDavid, Babcock (etc) - worth it. 

We may be able to look back and say "it all happened for a reason". 

Had we landed McDavid, or Babcock, we wouldn't have been in the position to land Dahlin, and we wouldn't have a potential 1C/1D combo like Eichel/Dahlin. 

That combo could be "Stanley Cup level" good. Not all by themselves, obviously. But almost every cup winning team has a top tier 1C/1D combo. So I just mean that it looks like Buffalo could be adding a crucial piece to the puzzle. Not the last piece by any means, but maybe the most important. 

Its amazing what this pick has done to refill my hope meter as far as the Sabres.

I was so burnt out after last season....

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I feel like this pick (Dahlin) has the potential to make all those other very painful misses - McDavid, Babcock (etc) - worth it. 

We may be able to look back and say "it all happened for a reason". 

Had we landed McDavid, or Babcock, we wouldn't have been in the position to land Dahlin, and we wouldn't have a potential 1C/1D combo like Eichel/Dahlin. 

That combo could be "Stanley Cup level" good. Not all by themselves, obviously. But almost every cup winning team has a top tier 1C/1D combo. So I just mean that it looks like Buffalo could be adding a crucial piece to the puzzle. Not the last piece by any means, but maybe the most important. 

Its amazing what this pick has done to refill my hope meter as far as the Sabres.

I was so burnt out after last season....

Agree with pretty much all of that too. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/4/2018 at 1:18 PM, Alaska Darin said:

Cosmic payback for decades of futility.

On 5/4/2018 at 12:18 PM, Alaska Darin said:

Thanks... Nice way to put.

Why I was uneasy.  D-men  usually need time.. Can be wrecked too. I never seen anything like this, was apprehensive. 

Dude was born in 2000.  Really?  Holy Good God, time is flying by and I getting old!

On Wednesday, May 02, 2018 at 5:02 AM, Fadingpain said:

I will concede that your opinion here is widely held among Sabres fans and t se old uniforms are generally loved.

But man, I hate those things!  The royal blue is cheesy and the color scheme in general is not very good.

I was too little to remember the Frinnch Connection era.  Other than that, I have never associated anything with the old uniforms other than losing and being a really mediocre sports franchise.

I would like to start a new era too, but one where we go BACK to the black/white/red era....but where we replace the goat head with something good.  I liked those uniforms and we did a lot of winning in them.

the-buffalo-sabres-celebrate-winning-gam

Until this 7 season stretch started, the Sabres have been top 3-4 in team winning percentage throughout their history.  A lot of that's due to the '75-'80 teams being the 2nd best team in the league.

There was a lot of talent in those early years, and evenin that 10 year drought that they couldn't win a playoff series they were only sub-0.500 one time - the year that let them draft Turgeon.  In '89 they had the 3rd best record in the entire league & had to play the team w/ the 4th best record in the 1st round; during a season that 16 out of 21 made the playoffs. :wallbash:

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Thanks... Nice way to put.

Why I was uneasy.  D-men  usually need time.. Can be wrecked too. I never seen anything like this, was apprehensive. 

Dude was born in 2000.  Really?  Holy Good God, time is flying by and I getting old!

I think in the old NHL defensemen took a REALLY long time to develop but today's NHL salary cap demands they get thrown to the wolves.  Even 10 years ago an 18 year old would NEVER be on an NHL roster.  Most wouldn't see a roster until age 22 or 23.  Additionally, they are FAR more ready now in every way at a much younger age. They get better training, better nutrition, and better coaching throughout their careers.

The big key for Dahlin is staying healthy.  As long as he can stay on the ice, he's going to be terrific and one of the best players in the NHL very quickly.

7 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

"His floor is Drew Doughty".  Yeah, I'll take that. 

5-8: NHL Central Scouting's Director of European Scouting Goran Stubb Talks Rasmus Dahlin on WGR (8:56)

With his thoughts on Rasmus Dahlin, NHL Central Scouting's Director of European Scouting Goran Stubb joins Howard and Jeremy next on WGR! #Sabres

Stubb - we have been hearing about Dahlin for 4-5 years. When a hockey talent like him comes up, everyone starts to follow him. Everyone has known that he is the #1 prospect for a couple of years now. #Sabres

Stubb - He's more or less a complete package once he gains a little bit more weight. He can skate well, he can shoot and pass, and he plays well in both ends. He's been playing with men for the past two years too. #Sabres

Stubb - The Swedish Hockey League is a very high class league. When you play there regularly as a 16-year-old on one of the best teams in Frolunda, people will take notice. #Sabres

Stubb - Rasmus Dahlin is in a class of his own. That's how good he is. Last time there was a player like Dahlin coming out with so much hype surrounding him was when Alex Ovechkin came out. #Sabres

Stubb - It's very seldom you get a natural talent like Dahlin. That's what stands out with him is that everything looks so easy. #Sabres

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

I think in the old NHL defensemen took a REALLY long time to develop but today's NHL salary cap demands they get thrown to the wolves.  Even 10 years ago an 18 year old would NEVER be on an NHL roster.  Most wouldn't see a roster until age 22 or 23.  Additionally, they are FAR more ready now in every way at a much younger age. They get better training, better nutrition, and better coaching throughout their careers.

It's amazing how much things have changed and how quickly it has happened.  There are so many more top end players who are NHL ready almost immediately and they're coming from everywhere now.  This will be the third year in a row where a non-Canadian goes first overall.  Finland and Sweden have become factories for top end talent.  Over that same time, Canada will probably wind up with only 3 total picks in the top 5 of each of those drafts combined.  It has to drive them crazy. 

Oh man, the  start of that interview with Dahlin was just embarrassing... 

Asking him what type of underwear he is wearing. 

Asking him if he knows who Ivan Drago is (why the **** would he know a character from a rocky movie made decades before he was born. And Drago was RUSSIAN, not Swedish. Idiots...). 

Now they're asking him about Crapes. A French food. 

:wallbash:

I cringed about 5 separate times during that interview.

Welcome to Buffalo kid! lol 

5-8: 2018 NHL Draft Top Prospect Rasmus Dahlin with The Instigators on WGR (16:17)

Projected first overall pick in the 2018 #NHLDraft Rasmus Dahlin joins @TheInstigators right now on WGR! Tune in: #Sabres

Dahlin - I don't know so much about Buffalo. I was there for the World Juniors, but I didn't go far from the hotel and the rinks. #Sabres

Dahlin - I've trained so much with skating technique since I was younger. The more you work, the better you get. #Sabres

Dahlin - I've learned so many things from Joel Lundqvist. I'm prepared for the NHL and ready to go. #Sabres

Dahlin - My whole team in Frolunda has helped me so much with my progression as a hockey player. #Sabres

Dahlin - I'm working on getting stronger in the gym and my defense right now. I have to play good in the defensive zone. #Sabres

Dahlin - I think Victor Olofsson has the best shot I've ever seen, it's amazing. Playing with him in Buffalo would be so much fun. #Sabres

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

5-8: 2018 NHL Draft Top Prospect Rasmus Dahlin with The Instigators on WGR (16:17)

Projected first overall pick in the 2018 #NHLDraft Rasmus Dahlin joins @TheInstigators right now on WGR! Tune in: #Sabres

Dahlin - I don't know so much about Buffalo. I was there for the World Juniors, but I didn't go far from the hotel and the rinks. #Sabres

Dahlin - I've trained so much with skating technique since I was younger. The more you work, the better you get. #Sabres

Dahlin - I've learned so many things from Joel Lundqvist. I'm prepared for the NHL and ready to go. #Sabres

Dahlin - My whole team in Frolunda has helped me so much with my progression as a hockey player. #Sabres

Dahlin - I'm working on getting stronger in the gym and my defense right now. I have to play good in the defensive zone. #Sabres

Dahlin - I think Victor Olofsson has the best shot I've ever seen, it's amazing. Playing with him in Buffalo would be so much fun. #Sabres

I have to think Olofsson will get every opportunity to make the big club. At least I hope so. One thing I can't stand about Housley is his old school mind set that says a rookie has to "earn" his way to the top 6 by getting minutes on the fourth line. That's horse crap. More often than not, a talented player is matched with unskilled linemates who can't get him the puck in the right spots at the right time and he suffers for it. Let's see what he can do with Jack off the bat. 

9 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I have to think Olofsson will get every opportunity to make the big club. At least I hope so. One thing I can't stand about Housley is his old school mind set that says a rookie has to "earn" his way to the top 6 by getting minutes on the fourth line. That's horse crap. More often than not, a talented player is matched with unskilled linemates who can't get him the puck in the right spots at the right time and he suffers for it. Let's see what he can do with Jack off the bat. 

I think he'll get a shot to make the Sabres out of TC, but it would not surprise me if he started the season with the Amerks to allow him to adjust to the North American game and ice size. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I think he'll get a shot to make the Sabres out of TC, but it would not surprise me if he started the season with the Amerks to allow him to adjust to the North American game and ice size. 

As long as he gets a look with top 6 wingers in training camp and a chance to show what he has with skilled linemates before getting sent down, I can understand that. 

IMO, the adjustment to NA ice is overstated when it comes to wingers. Especially skilled wingers. D-men? Yes, there's definitely an adjustment period but again, not as big a deal for fast, skilled Dmen who already play a sound positional game, like Dhalin. 

5-9: Frölunda Defensive Coach Pär Johansson Talks Rasmus Dahlin on WGR (16:51)

Frölunda's defensive coach Pär Johansson joins Howard Simon next on WGR to talk about Rasmus Dahlin! Tune in:

Johansson - Dahlin is the best defenseman I've ever coached by far, especially for him being so young. I think he's better than a young Erik Karlsson and John Klingberg. #Sabres

Johansson - Dahlin has more tools in his tool box than Karlsson did. Rasmus adds to the defense too. He developed his defensive side of the game this past year. #Sabres

Johansson - Dahlin is so easy to coach, he just wants to learn. Over the two years here, he comes to the rink every day and we've watched so much video on him. He wanted to break down every single piece of his video. #Sabres

Johansson - We watched video on the bus ride home, the next day, and he was always asking questions and wanting to develop even more. #Sabres

Johansson - It was almost scary how quickly he could learn something and apply it on the ice. He's willing to try things the day after, and if it doesn't work, he quickly learns from his mistakes. #Sabres

Johansson - When Dahlin first came in, he wanted to please everyone. We wanted to push him and be allowed to make some mistakes. When he accepted that, he went all out. #Sabres

Johansson - The mistakes are rarely there for Dahlin. He will take care of the puck, not being too careless. #Sabres

Johansson - As soon as Dahlin got used to the SHL, he took advantages of what was given to him. The NHL may be a bit bigger with a smaller rink, but the transition shouldn't be too difficult. #Sabres

Johansson - At the beginning, Dahlin melted in with our defensive group and didn't say much. Towards the end, he was a voice in our room. He can be a leader for sure. #Sabres

Johansson - Dahlin has a good ability to get the puck through to the net. He doesn't have the hardest of shots, but with a strong summer and if he builds some more strength, his shot will be better. He is more of a passer now than a shooter. #Sabres

Johansson - Dahlin has showed this year that he can play against the biggest of men in the Swedish Hockey League. His balance and skating makes him a good hitter too. He may need to put on some weight, but he's strong enough already. #Sabres

Johansson - Lawrence Pilut is good with the puck like Dahlin. He moves the puck well and sees the ice good. He needs to get a bit bigger too, but he was the top defenseman in the SHL this year. He took a big step this year, and he's a good player. #Sabres

• Thank you (+1) 1