UK General election 2017: Make your call!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the challengers in Theresa May's district is dressed in an Elmo costume.

Elmo got 3

There are plenty of oddball candidates in UK parliamentary elections. The 'Party Party Party' party and 'Monster Raving Loony' party are things.

But but but she won the popular vote

Do they even do a total vote count? BTW, you do understand the voters are only voting for their local constituent? The simplest way to explain it in American terms would be whoever has the majority in the House of Representatives usually gets to pick their "president." Then they need the Queens permission. The whole process is odd to me, but maybe that's what other countries think of our system.

Edited by Doc Brown

The Tories will likely seek a coalition with the DUP in Northern Ireland to get over the 326 mark. Not something they'd want to do but at least they're Brexit-friendly for them.

To a degree. Although they will want a far less hard Brexit than May was aiming for.

UKIP are a tiny party and have no seats in this parliament. Even at their height of popularity they only ever had two MPs, both of whom were ex-Tory defectors. Their vote in this election collapsed.

Edited by Brit

Do they even do a total vote count? BTW, you do understand the voters are only voting for their local constituent? The simplest way to explain it in American terms would be whoever has the majority in the House of Representatives usually gets to pick their "president." Then they need the Queens permission. The whole process is odd to me, but maybe that's what other countries think of our system.

It's safe to say the rest of the world finds the electoral college more bizarre than the parliamentary system.

To a degree. Although they will want a far less hard Brexit than May was aiming for.

Certainly more friendly to them than the SNP or the Lib Dems will be, that's for sure.

There are plenty of oddball candidates in UK parliamentary elections. The 'Party Party Party' party and 'Monster Raving Loony' party are things.

Lord Buckethead stands again, I'm moving to Maidstone - https://twitter.com/scottbix/status/873014998179745794

Don't let easily googled facts get in the way for these people.

They are determined something evil has happened, then their life won't be in the gutter any more.

Blaming Trump for one's crappy existence is like blaming Ronald McDonald for your cheeseburger not having two pickles on it?

Wait. You get two pickles on your cheeseburgers at McDonalds? Bastard! I always only get one. This could very well turn me into a Bernie supporter. :angry:

The People don't want women like Hillary or May or Kim Campbell to lead them, and bounce them the first legit chance they get to show it.

Depends on which burga you order at McCafe and what is actually handed to you in the bag...

The People don't want women like Hillary or May or Kim Campbell to lead them, and bounce them the first legit chance they get to show it.Depends on which burga you order at McCafe and what is actually handed to you in the bag...

A record number of women won seats...

A record number of women won seats...

Not as a federal leader they didn't.

There's enough truly elected federal leaders as women to show that the people will support a good one.

Sure ain't May, Hillary or Canada's Kim Campbell.

The UK/Canada parliamentary procedure allows someone appointed by party hacks to take the leadership of the 2 serious parties. And they sometimes find their way into leading.

But they haven't a ghost of a prayer with the voters.

I'm just applying the same logic that Leftists applied to the American election.

First past the post, party appoints its leader, you can win a majority government with 31% of the vote. You could have the leader not win their seat to lead a majority government, but they'll soon find a riding to get them in.

I would state than in almost all my votes (Federally and Provincially) that I have voted based on the party leader, rarely have I cared at all about the individuals making up my riding.

Should hear how BBC followers on facebook are HOWLING about the tories forming a coalition with the DUP :lol:

Sound like leftists here. Hating the process ("200,000 people and 10 seats!"), hating the people who vote DUP ("How dare she form a coalition with fundamentalist bigots who are anti-LGBTQ, anti-abortion, etc...")

It's priceless. Leftists are leftists, no matter where. Tolerant of those who agree with them, intolerant of those who don't.

The right is at work, they have an interest in politics as far as it preserves their lifestyles of family, church, work, safety from criminals.

The left takes it more seriously, thinks paradise is coming if they get hold of government. But when they do it usually gets worse, and they never learn.

Should hear how BBC followers on facebook are HOWLING about the tories forming a coalition with the DUP :lol:

Sound like leftists here. Hating the process ("200,000 people and 10 seats!"), hating the people who vote DUP ("How dare she form a coalition with fundamentalist bigots who are anti-LGBTQ, anti-abortion, etc...")

It's priceless. Leftists are leftists, no matter where. Tolerant of those who agree with them, intolerant of those who don't.

First off, you should really stop using Facebook :D

On the face of it, they seem pretty distasteful to a lot of my sensibilities. However, being a creationist isn't about tolerance, that's an issue of extreme stupidity.

First off, you should really stop using Facebook :D

On the face of it, they seem pretty distasteful to a lot of my sensibilities. However, being a creationist isn't about tolerance, that's an issue of extreme stupidity.

Point is...many of these same people tolerate the extreme stupidity of Islam.

They're hypocrites :lol:

Point is...many of these same people tolerate the extreme stupidity of Islam.

They're hypocrites :lol:

you never know what 3rd parties will do.

I recall some comment about an election in Europe where 2/3 of the country basically voted for various neo-Nazi parties, along with other parties that were even worse.