Chick-fil-a coming to Cheektowaga!!!!

Wacka

That's all great information. I sincerely appreciate you thoughtful post. However, what can anyone do about it? I love fast food, and I don't have any weight issues. I don't want the government steeping in with some crazy fast food tax. People need to make their own healthy choices. My greatest fear is the government getting their grimy paws getting all over our health choices.

Health care does suffer as a consequence of obesity without question. The government loses millions of dollars because of it. If everyone became a healthy weight tomorrow would my taxes go down? I'm sure they wouldn't, the government would just find something else to waste money on. There is also a flip side. How many people are employed in health care fields due to unhealthy habits? America has continually dwindling (eventually close to none) good paying industrial jobs remaining. Health care is a huge industry. Peoples poor health habits actually benefit many. Ultimately there is a positive and negative side to every issue out there. I simply don't lose sleep over obesity. It is very low on the list of things that impact my life.

First, I apologize to anyone looking for more info on Chik-fil-a. I did not intend to hijack this thread.

To address your points DF1O5. I am not certain what can or should be done. I am just pointing out the $ consequences to others from obesity. Understandably, most people do not want govt controlling their choices. Although I pointed out direct impacts from obesity to Medicare, Medicaid, and Workers Comp, that was my mistake to overemphasize that. What impacts me more is the increasing costs of private insurance and certainly some of that is due to the increase of obesity in the US (and other countries as well). Companies are trying to manage this through different means (e.g, on site gyms, sponsorship to athletic clubs, education, fit bit competitions, etc.). People should be able to make decisions but if their decisions impact others (e.g., smoking) than their independence has encroached on others independence. And the federal govt and states have enacted legislation on smoking and well they should. Unfortunately, people are generally selfish and it is all about me and what I want to do without consideration of anyone else.

I never mentioned a fast food tax. I indirectly referred to an obesity tax. You are fortunate to eat fast food but not gain weight. Perhaps it is your metabolism or maybe you got lucky in the DNA dept and will never gain weight, encounter heart disease or have to take medication for hypertension or hypercholesterolemia. But the majority of people are not like that. I am not advocating for a govt/federal tax on obesity, Perhaps higher life insurance and medical insurance by private companies addresses it. If you choose to eat fast food (or smoke) and analytics prove there is a direct correlation between this and hospital visits, medication, etc. (which there is) than perhaps you should bear a higher premium for health insurance.

Hopefully, our goal to increase GDP is not based on having a sicker population in order to bolster our health services industry. The US may have a dwindling manufacturing industry but that is being supplanted by a fairly robust technology industry. Let me know if you are a good pharmacologist, biophysicist, or biochemical engineer and I will recommend you for a job in our company so I can obtain a referral bonus.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. Same here. I agree, nothing special. They have them here. Too many other better food options. Must be a Southern thing like Sonic. That place is terrible too.

I respect the Sunday thing. MORE places should practice Blue Laws. Went to Indy 500 on Sunday. "Yep we will stop and get a few brews to pack in cooler for track." Little did anybody, but me, know that Indiana doesn't sell package goods (@ stores) on Sunday. Nice and convenient to avoid the whole booze thing! But, I could only use the excuse (that I didn't know) once before others catch on. I live right on Indiana Line. On Sunday I get my booze in Illinois and firearms and fireworks in Indiana. Thank God Indy is in middle of state.

Sonic for drinks and shakes.

They never say that to me. I was just there Wednesday, and they didn't say that.

To hear "my pleasure" one must first mutter "thank you!"

Edited by Cripple Creek

YAY! More garbage food for obese WNY'ers.

As if not enough of the women around here are whales as it is...

Didn't research but... Commenting on Your comment with family... My daughter did mention that Chick-fil-a gives free food to pregnant women.

Wonder if this is true... If only we had a tool @ our disposal:

Mostly false="Mother Clucker"

http://www.snopes.com/chick-fil-a-meal-promo/

But good for the one store in Houston! They should go chain wide... Everybody in screwing like rabbits. ;-)

That's all great information. I sincerely appreciate you thoughtful post. However, what can anyone do about it? I love fast food, and I don't have any weight issues. I don't want the government steeping in with some crazy fast food tax. People need to make their own healthy choices. My greatest fear is the government getting their grimy paws getting all over our health choices.

Health care does suffer as a consequence of obesity without question. The government loses millions of dollars because of it. If everyone became a healthy weight tomorrow would my taxes go down? I'm sure they wouldn't, the government would just find something else to waste money on. There is also a flip side. How many people are employed in health care fields due to unhealthy habits? America has continually dwindling (eventually close to none) good paying industrial jobs remaining. Health care is a huge industry. Peoples poor health habits actually benefit many. Ultimately there is a positive and negative side to every issue out there. I simply don't lose sleep over obesity. It is very low on the list of things that impact my life.

I agree.

I am an ex-fat person... The only sleep I will lose is over MY obesity. Yet, I don't want to burden society... Yet, I would gladly pay in. Just work hard, and don't play off others as fools.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I would use the analogy of smoking. Sure, it is your right to choose to smoke but then you have to bear the consequences and those may be higher costs for life insurance and medical coverage.

So, $6.75 in taxes per $7.00 pack of smokes is not enough? !@#$ off.

I have no issues if people don't want to eat fast food because it's unhealthy.

But a pet peeve of mine is the righteous indignation towards people who eat it, viewing them as slobs or obese. I had a boss once who would comment on "those fat people" at drive thrus as "disgusting." That's just mean.

So, $6.75 in taxes per $7.00 pack of smokes is not enough? !@#$ off.

I never brought up taxes. My perspective was on private insurance costs.

You are complaining about high cigarette taxes so I will assume you live in NY which is #1 in the country for this. I live in VA which is #49 in the country for cigarette taxes. This explains why my NY smoker friends ask me to bring back cartons of cigarettes.

I will confess that I have no idea what states use to base their cigarette tax. There is in addition to federal tax on cigarettes.

Whatever the basis of the cigarette tax, the impact to the consumer can be reduced. You can stop smoking, get them in another state (though this may be illegal), petition your govt to reduce them, etc.

I will bring up some analogies to this. I see lots on ex NY, NJ, VT, NH living in VA and NC. This is especially true for retirees on a fixed income. Property taxes are at least half in VA & NC compared to the former states I listed. https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-the-highest-and-lowest-property-taxes/11585/ People may have complained about these taxes but they have chosen to move to avoid the impact.

The same can be said for gasoline taxes. If the higher costs of gasoline taxes are impacting you adversely, then you sell your low mpg vehicle and obtain a high mpg vehicle.

You can continue to !@#$ing complain or do something to address it.

But a pet peeve of mine is the righteous indignation towards people who eat it, viewing them as slobs or obese. I had a boss once who would comment on "those fat people" at drive thrus as "disgusting." That's just mean.

Completely agree with this. And that perspective should be considered and extended to a lot more outside of fast food/obesity.

I never brought up taxes. My perspective was on private insurance costs.

You are complaining about high cigarette taxes so I will assume you live in NY which is #1 in the country for this. I live in VA which is #49 in the country for cigarette taxes. This explains why my NY smoker friends ask me to bring back cartons of cigarettes.

I will confess that I have no idea what states use to base their cigarette tax. There is in addition to federal tax on cigarettes.

Whatever the basis of the cigarette tax, the impact to the consumer can be reduced. You can stop smoking, get them in another state (though this may be illegal), petition your govt to reduce them, etc.

I will bring up some analogies to this. I see lots on ex NY, NJ, VT, NH living in VA and NC. This is especially true for retirees on a fixed income. Property taxes are at least half in VA & NC compared to the former states I listed. https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-the-highest-and-lowest-property-taxes/11585/ People may have complained about these taxes but they have chosen to move to avoid the impact.

The same can be said for gasoline taxes. If the higher costs of gasoline taxes are impacting you adversely, then you sell your low mpg vehicle and obtain a high mpg vehicle.

You can continue to !@#$ing complain or do something to address it.

Completely agree with this. And that perspective should be considered and extended to a lot more outside of fast food/obesity.

Are you for hire? I bet you're a hoot at parties.

Reality is sometimes mean.

This.

But it is getting edgy out there because people are realizing the cost to society... And they see every day what people are putting into their body and the poor choices they make... Not helping people's mean thoughts. Things boil over.

People working @ controlling their vices vs. the people paying vs. the gamers of the system... We are all @ each other's throats... Which is sad!

Remember when people weren't getting enough food and things like "a chicken in everybody's pot" was seen as basic subsistence? We are far removed from those dire, immediate times when able body men would stand shamefully in a soup line.

Just look @ us know! 4,000 calories on every supermarket shelf, awaits each day, every man, woman, and child in this country! Do most even burn 4000kcal a day now!

Sad all the societal infighting!

Reality is sometimes mean.

Not sometimes, always.

This.

But it is getting edgy out there because people are realizing the cost to society... And they see every day what people are putting into their body and the poor choices they make... Not helping people's mean thoughts. Things boil over.

People working @ controlling their vices vs. the people paying vs. the gamers of the system... We are all @ each other's throats... Which is sad!

Remember when people weren't getting enough food and things like "a chicken in everybody's pot" was seen as basic subsistence? We are far removed from those dire, immediate times when able body men would stand shamefully in a soup line.

Just look @ us know! 4,000 calories on every supermarket shelf, awaits each day, every man, woman, and child in this country! Do most even burn 4000kcal a day now!

Sad all the societal infighting!

Not sometimes, always.

I agree, but people need to think deeper. Sadly this rarely happens. Obesity can burden society, but there isn't much we can do about without instituting draconian measures. In reality everything we do kills us a little each day. I hate to sound like a hippy, but all the food we put into our bodies is crap. Food has been on the decline since we moved away from being an agrarian society many years ago. I say if you want to enjoy Chick fil-a or whatever other garbage, go for it. I would just encourage those with a desk job to exercise once in a while. This is a big cause of modern obesity that few mention. People are too physically inactive these days.

A very good friend has a kid who works at CFA. They are taught to follow the Ritz Carlton practice of replacing "you're welcome" with "my pleasure". Little things make a difference. A cut above.

They have to say it when you say thank you too. Whenever I'm at CFA, I say Thank You as many times as possible. I think my record for "my pleasures" is like 6, gotta try for higher.

YAY! More garbage food for obese WNY'ers.

As if not enough of the women around here are whales as it is...

The nice part about Chik-Fil-A is you can actually eat decent there. 12pc nuggets + ketchup + greek yogurt parfait = ~600 calories, 40g protein. It'd be less if I got the grilled but let's be honest, the fried breading on the nuggets is the best part.

I agree, but people need to think deeper. Sadly this rarely happens. Obesity can burden society, but there isn't much we can do about without instituting draconian measures. In reality everything we do kills us a little each day. I hate to sound like a hippy, but all the food we put into our bodies is crap. Food has been on the decline since we moved away from being an agrarian society many years ago. I say if you want to enjoy Chick fil-a or whatever other garbage, go for it. I would just encourage those with a desk job to exercise once in a while. This is a big cause of modern obesity that few mention. People are too physically inactive these days.

In spite of what I have said previously in this thread, at heart I am an optimist. Quality of food may have been in decline but there appears to be an upsurge in restaurants using locally sourced foods http://www.restaurant.org/News-Research/News/Demand-for-local-foods-is-on-the-rise

and there are more local vendors at farmers markets advertising their items (with pics of their farm/operation) that their items are grown with no synthetic fertilizers, genetically modified organisms, ionizing radiation, etc. Perhaps this will spread and people will eat more healthy so draconian measures are not necessary. Maybe continued education on eating healthy would be beneficial. Fortunately, some of us have the means ($) to purchase these items. The untreated local specialty food market items are expensive and beyond the budget of those who might benefit the most. I am uncertain how that can be addressed.

What is incredible is the amazing taste of packaged foods. They are non nutritious but they have been designed to 'create hunger' for more. Stimulate the consumer but not entirely satisfy as you do not want the consumer to feel full. Design a food with a nice crunch, mix of simple tastes, fats for smoothness, tingling saltiness, & underlying sweetness. Make it light so that it can be consumed by grazing...not eating. That way you will purchase the 30 pack box at Sam's. It's genius.

Dammit, DF1O5, I'm a biochemist, not an flavorist.

In spite of what I have said previously in this thread, at heart I am an optimist. Quality of food may have been in decline but there appears to be an upsurge in restaurants using locally sourced foods http://www.restaurant.org/News-Research/News/Demand-for-local-foods-is-on-the-rise

and there are more local vendors at farmers markets advertising their items (with pics of their farm/operation) that their items are grown with no synthetic fertilizers, genetically modified organisms, ionizing radiation, etc. Perhaps this will spread and people will eat more healthy so draconian measures are not necessary. Maybe continued education on eating healthy would be beneficial. Fortunately, some of us have the means ($) to purchase these items. The untreated local specialty food market items are expensive and beyond the budget of those who might benefit the most. I am uncertain how that can be addressed.

What is incredible is the amazing taste of packaged foods. They are non nutritious but they have been designed to 'create hunger' for more. Stimulate the consumer but not entirely satisfy as you do not want the consumer to feel full. Design a food with a nice crunch, mix of simple tastes, fats for smoothness, tingling saltiness, & underlying sweetness. Make it light so that it can be consumed by grazing...not eating. That way you will purchase the 30 pack box at Sam's. It's genius.

Dammit, DF1O5, I'm a biochemist, not an flavorist.

How do you feel about Blue Apron? I'm a huge fan.

I like to pick my own food daily. I probably average 6 days a week at Publix. I like the Blue Apron concept through. :)

I went on this kick where I was going to buy fresh meat and vegetables every night at the grocery store on my way home from work. It was great while it lasted (2 weeks).