Who else is all in on this new way of doing things?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marshawn Lynch. Lee Evans. Jason Peters. Aaron Schobel, Byrd, Fred Jackson-there was talent on those teams. They went 7-9 every year. Nix couldn't even get to the seven win mark. His body of work was below average. The 2010 offseason was one of the worst in the team's history. Extension of Kelsey, Fitz.Whaley was average at best. Nix-16-32. Whaley-30-34. Neither good enough.

Pesky things, facts.

None of these players were on the Bills for most of 2010:

• Marshawn Lynch was traded to Seattle on October 5, 2010.
  • Jason Peters was traded to Philly before the 2009 season.
  • Aaron Schobel's last season was 2009.

As for the others, the reality is that they weren't all that great.

• Fred Jackson, however much he was beloved in Buffalo, was, in fact, a journeyman RB. That he was the Bills starting RB in 2010 just underscored how talentless the Bills roster was.
  • Lee Evans was an okay WR but never a top one. As the thirteenth player take in his draft year, he was a disappointment. On most teams, he wouldn't have been the #1 WR.
  • Jairus Byrd was a genuine talent, but he was one player out of 53.

Who else did the Bills have in 2010?

• Spiller was a rookie.
  • Wood was a sophomore slowly coming back from a broken leg.
  • Others who were good/decent players included Kyle Williams, Whitner, Stevie Johnson, Posluszny, Kelsay, and Fitzpatrick.

Most of the players on the Bills roster that Nix and Gailey inherited weren't NFL caliber players except possibly on special teams.

The 2010 off season was hardly "one of the worst" in team history. Fitzpatrick wasn't extended in the 2010 off season but during the 2011 season when the Bills were in a big hurry to lock him into a contract in case his price went up ... just like they agreed to extend Jauron in 2008 after they beat San Diego. Both were likely done at Ralph Wilson's insistence.

2009 was much worse as the Bills extended Jauron despite the disaster of the 2nd half of 2008, drafted Aaron Maybin, traded Jason Peters (and getting fleeced royally by Andy Reid), and lost OT Langston Walker because he refused to play LT. Do you consider signing Terrell Owens and selling 55+K season tickets as balancing all the negatives ... or even coming close?

These posts drive me crazy; this has been a failed organization since 1999. You can rationalize past efforts, laud them, make excuses, whatever, but talent acquired does not mean squat! Do you win and are you still playing in January consistently offers the final grade!

Somebody asked me a question about GM/HC combos, and I answered. Thinking that NIx/Gailey were the best of a poor lot doesn't mean that they were any good. They at least helped the Bills get a better talent foundation going forward rather than further depleting it or just treading water.

Pesky things, facts.

• Fred Jackson, however much he was beloved in Buffalo, was, in fact, a journeyman RB. That he was the Bills starting RB in 2010 just underscored how talentless the Bills roster was.
  • Lee Evans was an okay WR but never a top one. As the thirteenth player take in his draft year, he was a disappointment. On most teams, he wouldn't have been the #1 WR.

• Spiller was a rookie.
  • Others who were good/decent players included Kyle Williams, Whitner, Stevie Johnson, Posluszny, Kelsay, and Fitzpatrick.

Most of the players on the Bills roster that Nix and Gailey inherited weren't NFL caliber players except possibly on special teams.

The 2010 off season was hardly "one of the worst" in team history. Fitzpatrick wasn't extended in the 2010 off season but during the 2011 season when the Bills were in a big hurry to lock him into a contract in case his price went up ... just like they agreed to extend Jauron in 2008 after they beat San Diego. Both were likely done at Ralph Wilson's insistence.

2009 was much worse as the Bills extended Jauron despite the disaster of the 2nd half of 2008, drafted Aaron Maybin, traded Jason Peters (and getting fleeced royally by Andy Reid), and lost OT Langston Walker because he refused to play LT. Do you consider signing Terrell Owens and selling 55+K season tickets as balancing all the negatives ... or even coming close?

Somebody asked me a question about GM/HC combos, and I answered. Thinking that NIx/Gailey were the best of a poor lot doesn't mean that they were any good. They at least helped the Bills get a better talent foundation going forward rather than further depleting it or just treading water.

Nix was terrible. Whaley was average at best. Results do count.

Nix was terrible. Whaley was average at best. Results do count.

The 2010 offseason was terrible. It's listed as one of the worst in Bills history. And for good reason.

I like a lot of what they are doing but there are still some glaring repetitions of past errors..........like drafting for need.......this past draft was even more need based in early rounds than the typical Whaley drafts that netted league low retention results.

This is exactly how I feel. I am actually quite sure that our new coach and GM are twice as competent as Whaley and Rex. I loved the trade down and then, lo and behold, here comes the first round corner and the trade-ups.

The first round corner merry go-round and the drafting to fill holes are frustrating issues to be sure but again, things were SOOO bad that I just can't see it getting worse.

For Bills Fans, this is good. :)

Pesky things, facts.

• Spiller was a rookie.

2010 NFL Season Preview:

Veteran Additions:

OT Cornell Green, DE/DT Dwan Edwards, ILB Andra Davis, ILB Reggie Torbor.

Draft Picks:

RB C.J. Spiller, NT Torell Troup, DE/DT Alex Carrington, WR Marcus Easley, OT Ed Wang, DE/OLB Arthur Moats, DE/OLB Danny Batten, QB Levi Brown, OT Kyle Calloway.

Offseason Losses:

WR Terrell Owens, WR Josh Reed, TE Derek Fine, OT Jonathan Scott, G Richie Incognito, DE Aaron Schobel, DE Ryan Denney, SS John Wendling.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/offseason2010buf.php#sTEJWLy3I2pJGIgL.99

I see lots of threads griping about this or that and I am curious who, along with me, loves what the Bills are doing? I love the new approach, I have wanted this for well over a decade.

Clean house and bring in a fresh new HC with a background of working with successful HC's on his way up and in successful programs. A GM who shares his vision. Cleaning out the old way of scouting and whatnot and bringing in new, experienced, talent to pretty much scrap what we have done for dozens of years now.

HC, GM etc doing an honest, 3rd party per say, evaluation of the talent on this team with NO Ties what so ever. They have clear systems, they know the types of overall football players they want AND who will fit their system. They aren't going to sit here and wait years on "potential" either you can and will perform or you are gone. That is how it should be.

I love everything that is going on at OBD these days and the direction they are going and don't care who they cut, trade or whatever to get their team that they want. This is very long past due.

For the first time as long as I can remember, I finally have some legit hope this team will finally turn around. Anyone else with me in this?

I have to reserve judgement. I don't understand where a statement such as "I love everything that is going on at OBD these days" comes from.

We have change. Sometimes change is good. Sometimes it isn't. As far as player personnel, we really won't know for 18 mos or so - until the new scouts are responsible for a draft class and they come in and play.

We have a new HC who was a DC. Sometimes these guys are great out of the box. Sometimes they're examples of the Peter principle. We won't really know until the season gets started. Ditto our OC.

I was pleased that they got rid of Rex because I thought he had "checked out" mentally. I felt it was a good thing to release Whaley and bring in a GM that McWrestler wants, so as to avoid all the divided responsibility and the finger pointing festival we've had (at least in the news media) under the last two coaches. If they relieve Overdorf or change the org structure, I feel that will be the final piece.

So those are positives, but whether we all ought to "love it" or not remains to be seen. It's all about performance in the end.

Yea.

A few things they are doing doesn't make sense. Obviously someone fell asleep with the MG situation. Not picking up Watkins deal is a head scratcher and then essentially spinning their wheels with FAs they lost with the draft.

Gillislee was a big loss. Can't whitewash it.

I agree, that hurt. We will never know how much was scheme, but MG seemed to have far more speed to break big runs than J Williams. Hopefully he's fully healthy and surprises us, relieving my angst.

Have to essentially agree here.

Also not a big fan of moving on from Gilmore. It frankly looks like more of the "leave a hole then fill it" to me.

But I'm willing to reserve judgement that maybe they felt the value wasn't there for their scheme - it's just I can't be all "love everything that they're doing, it's all wonderful"

Have to essentially agree here.

Also not a big fan of moving on from Gilmore. It frankly looks like more of the "leave a hole then fill it" to me.

But I'm willing to reserve judgement that maybe they felt the value wasn't there for their scheme - it's just I can't be all "love everything that they're doing, it's all wonderful"

That's what helps me feel a little better. Top CB's are SO expensive, but you need good ones. If zone based guys come a little cheaper, that's an advantage. As you said earlier, change can be good or bad. It's certain to be some of both. I just hope (and actually believe) that on balance we will be doing more things right than in recent years. Admittedly, I have nothing much to base that on other than gut feeling and listening to some talking heads (that I generally hate listening to). People who think it will be quick and easy will be disappointed, I'm afraid. This wasn't broken over night, and it won't be fixed that way. But I'm hopeful.

I'm getting old. I've seen lots of coaches and GMs come and go. I'm always a little hopeful when there's a change but that hope is tempered by years of disappointment.

So far I like "this new way of doing things." But that's a preliminary and cautious "like." Let's see some real games before we judge.

This is where I am at as well. 1st year head coach, 1st year Gm, along with others. I have no idea how people can say we got this awesome coaching group when we really have no idea. I think those people are just excited that Rex is gone, and I can't much blame them

That's what helps me feel a little better. Top CB's are SO expensive, but you need good ones. If zone based guys come a little cheaper, that's an advantage. As you said earlier, change can be good or bad. It's certain to be some of both. I just hope (and actually believe) that on balance we will be doing more things right than in recent years. Admittedly, I have nothing much to base that on other than gut feeling and listening to some talking heads (that I generally hate listening to). People who think it will be quick and easy will be disappointed, I'm afraid. This wasn't broken over night, and it won't be fixed that way. But I'm hopeful.

Perhaps Gillislee got a little bit of the "not a good Fit " action too.

Change is Good !

Fear Change !

This is exactly how I feel. I am actually quite sure that our new coach and GM are twice as competent as Whaley and Rex. I loved the trade down and then, lo and behold, here comes the first round corner and the trade-ups.

The first round corner merry go-round and the drafting to fill holes are frustrating issues to be sure but again, things were SOOO bad that I just can't see it getting worse.

For Bills Fans, this is good. :)

I don't understand the complaint of selecting a player who fills a need? If a player is drafted in the range of his ranking and also replaces a player at a position that needs to be filled then what is the complaint? The Bills traded down and took a corner back to replace Gilmore who was too costly to keep. On most draft boards the selected CB had a lower first round grade, and that is exactly where he was drafted. Addressing a weakened backfield corps was more of a necessity pick than a luxury pick.

I not especially enamored with trading up for the receiver and giving up another pick. But when you tabulate the result of that transaction they ending up getting a receiver they liked to replace Robert Woods, another player who wasn't worth the contract he was asking for. Again, a player who was drafted in the range of where he was ranked and also addressed a critical need. What's to criticize?

On balance the top two/three picks not only addressed positions that were undermanned but just as importantly it starting balancing out the cap distribution. Or another way of looking at it started the process of undoing the handiwork of Whaley, a GM you have consistently excoriated.

Perhaps Gillislee got a little bit of the "not a good Fit " action too.

Change is Good !

Fear Change !

Well, they can go an entire game with enough runs you can count them on one hand, so maybe he will forget how to catch?

Not a chance.

Patriots caught the Bills being cheap is essentially what happened.

Haha and this is where things get confusing(which is what the Bills like). Nobody knows who's call was who's this offseason. So if **** hits the fan.... Blame Whaley! If things go well, McDermotts a genius!

We will always have someone to blame.

Less likely we hail anyone soon.

I have to reserve judgement. I don't understand where a statement such as "I love everything that is going on at OBD these days" comes from.

We have change. Sometimes change is good. Sometimes it isn't. As far as player personnel, we really won't know for 18 mos or so - until the new scouts are responsible for a draft class and they come in and play.

We have a new HC who was a DC. Sometimes these guys are great out of the box. Sometimes they're examples of the Peter principle. We won't really know until the season gets started. Ditto our OC.

I was pleased that they got rid of Rex because I thought he had "checked out" mentally. I felt it was a good thing to release Whaley and bring in a GM that McWrestler wants, so as to avoid all the divided responsibility and the finger pointing festival we've had (at least in the news media) under the last two coaches. If they relieve Overdorf or change the org structure, I feel that will be the final piece.

So those are positives, but whether we all ought to "love it" or not remains to be seen. It's all about performance in the end.

Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells faced the same resistance!

Not a chance.

Patriots caught the Bills being cheap is essentially what happened.

Haha and this is where things get confusing(which is what the Bills like). Nobody knows who's call was who's this offseason. So if **** hits the fan.... Blame Whaley! If things go well, McDermotts a genius!

This entire off-season is on McDermott.