Class

i've been thinking since reading that.

teaching may mean, at least to me, the basics from the ground up even if it is not an ability.

coaching may mean, at least to me, the refinement of what may be more natural or inclined to the individual.

thinking of my current profession and my past coaching as relevance i do best when it is more coaching.

i dislike teaching.

🤡

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you bring up Little League. People give kids crap these days for getting participation trophies. Well I played Little League and I too got a participation trophy every year and that was nearly 50 years ago (ouch that hurt). Here's the difference. I'd get mine and think "why am I getting this? I suck. We suck." Today I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped giving little Johnny is trophy little Johnny would cry like a baby and his mommy and daddy would be on the phone to their lawyer.

Haha; I felt the same way. I remember how at our awards picnic, the coaches game me the game ball for when we beat Pizza Hut. They told tales of my great bloop single in that game, omitting my many errors or how, as a pitcher, I once walked like 8 guys in a row. I just shook my head and tossed that ball in my garage later. I give them credit for trying to be nice.

i would love to be a clown coach.

Seriously. How could someone call them-self a coach and in the same breath say that they dislike teaching? How do you coach? By teaching of course. Even if you use video to teach or are more hands on type you can't coach without teaching.

interpretations of the meanings vary, do they not? i will also say i am a terrible mentor as i take short cuts and have levels of expertise on some things that i cannot slow down in doing without greatly struggling.

"Both teaching and coaching are of course helping someone learn a particular skill or sharing a certain piece of knowledge, and both of them are gifts that are given to a student. ... The biggest difference is that, ultimately, teaching is about the teacherand coaching is about the student"

simply googled that. try it. words have different meanings.

i've been thinking since reading that.

teaching may mean, at least to me, the basics from the ground up even if it is not an ability.

coaching may mean, at least to me, the refinement of what may be more natural or inclined to the individual.

thinking of my current profession and my past coaching as relevance i do best when it is more coaching.

i dislike teaching.

I don't have much of a choice. Most of my players are kids who just pick up a stick for the first time in 9th grade. Tough kids who like to hit...mostly football players and wrestlers, although lately, I've been recruiting from the soccer and basketball programs. We finally were able to field a 7th/8th grade team this year.

Most of the programs around me have youth feeder programs. Kids start at 4 or 5 with skills development, and are playing organized, competitive lacrosse by 3rd grade.

I am teaching these kids how to play the game (even during the games) rather than sitting back and "coaching." I need to find a new gig.

I don't have much of a choice. Most of my players are kids who just pick up a stick for the first time in 9th grade. Tough kids who like to hit...mostly football players and wrestlers, although lately, I've been recruiting from the soccer and basketball programs. We finally were able to field a 7th/8th grade team this year.

Most of the programs around me have youth feeder programs. Kids start at 4 or 5 with skills development, and are playing organized, competitive lacrosse by 3rd grade.

I am teaching these kids how to play the game (even during the games) rather than sitting back and "coaching." I need to find a new gig.

i always wonder how i'd have been at lacrosse. my school fielded a club team my junior year. i didn't bother. i was tall, very quick (fastest on the team despite playing OL and DE) and had great athleticism mixed with agility. i'd probably have been better at it than football.

This thread morphed from "Class" to "coaching". So I'll say Marrone was a coach, Levy was a teacher and McDormant is a leader of men. Seriously, McDormant may be our coach for 20 years (he has the "it factor" as Whaley called it).

This thread morphed from "Class" to "coaching". So I'll say Marrone was a coach, Levy was a teacher and McDormant is a leader of men. Seriously, McDormant may be our coach for 20 years (he has the "it factor" as Whaley called it).

Marrone...questionable class. Levy...total class. McCoach? I couldn't care less as long as he wins games. I want him to be a mean, ruthless SOB.

Marrone...questionable class. Levy...total class. McCoach? I couldn't care less as long as he wins games. I want him to be a mean, ruthless SOB.

not that marrone was perfect or i am defending him but he seemed to have strong morals and principles that he held to, in a way that is class.

someone like rex had no class, no morals and no principles. he was a man who'd bend the rules, take a wide turn on a short lane or just completely run off course if he could justify it in his mind. he was and is a clown.

not that marrone was perfect or i am defending him but he seemed to have strong morals and principles that he held to, in a way that is class.

someone like rex had no class, no morals and no principles. he was a man who'd bend the rules, take a wide turn on a short lane or just completely run off course if he could justify it in his mind. he was and is a clown.

I agree completely with both paragraphs. You're a daisy.

For me, class is having morals and principles, but importantly, also being of the highest character (humble, honest, platinum rule). This of course means living and staying true to yourself under even the most adverse situations.

But you must have both to truly have class. Marrone is an interesting example. He most definitely had principles and I admire him for sticking to them. Orton over EJ, team rules, discipline, etc. But St. Doug (if true) and the way he left the organization were classless.

Someone posted a story about how the team went to a movie together, the players left a big mess, and Marrone stayed behind to help clean up. Sounds classy, but what if he was bitching about his players and how they're a bunch of pigs the entire time?