Any Bills of late you'd put on the Wall of Fame?

...FredEx was as much an "off the field" Bills Ambassador as he was on the field true grit style.......VanBortel Ford dealership in Rochester had a "Steve Johnson Autograph Night" all set up.....sure enough, Johnson was a "no show" with some BS excuse, "limo broke down.......dog ate the Mapquest....cat ate the dog.....yada yada"......FredEx to the rescue........he shows up and never leaves the dealership until EVERY fan in attendance gets his autograph free of charge...............

Good story! Fred's career statistics certainly don't warrant the wall. But his talent (in his prime), his effort, his leadership, and his off-the-field contributions make him wall worthy IMHO.

Edited by hondo in seattle

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fred Jackson is one of the most "Buffalo" guys we have ever had. He was a small school, hard-nosed, overachiever. He was a great player.

With that being said, if he would have been a 5-star recruit, 1st round pick from Alabama we wouldn't remember him nearly as fondly. Buffalo loves being the underdog. That inferiority complex leads us to believe the blue-chippers will leave us as soon as they get the chance. As a defense mechanism we push them away and pretend that they aren't as good as they really are. We prefer small school guys to big school guys and late round picks to guys in the 1st 2 rounds. It's a really odd dynamic and from my experience, unique to Buffalo.

Good story! Fred's career statistics certainly doesn't warrant the wall. But his talent (in his prime), his effort, his leadership, and his off-the-field contributions make him wall worthy IMHO.

...agree that his stats may say otherwise, but the kid's dedication, grit, determination and HEART tell me something far more important......he is a lunchpail Daryl Talley clone.....

Fred Jackson is one of the most "Buffalo" guys we have ever had. He was a small school, hard-nosed, overachiever. He was a great player.

With that being said, if he would have been a 5-star recruit, 1st round pick from Alabama we wouldn't remember him nearly as fondly. Buffalo loves being the underdog. That inferiority complex leads us to believe the blue-chippers will leave us as soon as they get the chance. As a defense mechanism we push them away and pretend that they aren't as good as they really are. We prefer small school guys to big school guys and late round picks to guys in the 1st 2 rounds. It's a really odd dynamic and from my experience, unique to Buffalo.

I think you are over analyzing things. We love Freddy because the guy was talented, and got the most out of his talent, always played hard, played hurt, was a team leader, and was an all around good guy. I am not too concerned where he came from. Sure its a nice story, but stories don't make players. Talent, smarts and hard work make players. Jimbo came from Miami, Thurman from Ok State, Bruce from Va Tech, Andre from little Kutztown State. But once you are in the NFL, it doesn't matter where you come from. It matters what you do once you are there. If Freddy came from Alabama and had the same career, I would love him just as much.

Freddy should definitely be on the wall, and Kyle as well. And I think Terrance McGee should have some consideration. Best KO return man we ever had, and a dam good corner until injuries took away his speed and quickness. But he was a gamer.

I think you are over analyzing things. We love Freddy because the guy was talented, and got the most out of his talent, always played hard, played hurt, was a team leader, and was an all around good guy. I am not too concerned where he came from. Sure its a nice story, but stories don't make players. Talent, smarts and hard work make players. Jimbo came from Miami, Thurman from Ok State, Bruce from Va Tech, Andre from little Kutztown State. But once you are in the NFL, it doesn't matter where you come from. It matters what you do once you are there. If Freddy came from Alabama and had the same career, I would love him just as much.

Freddy should definitely be on the wall, and Kyle as well. And I think Terrance McGee should have some consideration. Best KO return man we ever had, and a dam good corner until injuries took away his speed and quickness. But he was a gamer.

I'm not just talking about Fred and the Super Bowl era guys don't count. They were all beloved for what they accomplished. I'm talking about Sammy, Whitner, Spiller, Marshawn, Willis, Gilmore, Clay, Mario, Dareus, etc... They all weren't great as Bills but they were pretty good. We love Gillislee, Freddy, Chandler, Hogan, Kyle, Lorax and Moorman. Those guys had varying degrees of success but we loved their blue-collar mentality. We much prefer the guy that "earned it." Just a general observation and where I think it comes from. Edited by Kirby Jackson

They should stop putting players on the wall until Gilchrist is added.

I don't understand how Aaron Schobel does not get more love from this board. He was the best player they had while he was there. Second all time in sacks for the Bills - 16 and 26 more than Hansen and Biscuit respectively.

Ruben Brown, Schobel, and maybe Moulds are most deserving for retired players. Fred Jackson was great but Cribbs was better.

They can save a place for Kyle because he is assured a spot when he retires.

Here are 8 candidates that I listed: http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/05/8_buffalo_bills_who_could_be_named_to_the_teams_wall_of_fame.html#incart_river_index

Personally, I'd go with Cornelius Bennett, Cookie Gilchrist and Butch Byrd as my top three.

I didn't realize Cookie wasn't . I vote for him first and foremost. Legend.

First off, I am in no way comparing any of the players, or their circumstances, we're discussing with Bob Kalsu. But the reason I mention him is that clearly he is not on the Wall in recognition of his playing career, and no one has any issue with him being up there (well, maybe somebody does but I'm not arguing about that). The point is, contributions and considerations outside the playing field, such as team leadership on the sidelines or practice field, or the community in the form of their time and focus, are valid points to consider in putting someone on the Wall.

Hence my vote for Freddie and Moorman as they contributed on the field for an extended period of time but also off the field both in the locker room and in the community.

Butch Byrd!! Before anybody else

Yeah. He'd be the only one I would even consider but in the end, I have to say no. Butch Byrd please.[/quote

This message board is a joke. The so called fans think the history goes back 10 yrs

A punter on the wall you guys are a joke

Butch Byrd!! Before anybody else

Yeah. He'd be the only one I would even consider but in the end, I have to say no. Butch Byrd please.[/quote

This message board is a joke. The so called fans think the history goes back 10 yrs

A punter on the wall you guys are a joke

Moorman was a football player.Top punter, ran it, threw it, made tackles, was excellent holder for long snaps.

Yeah and I'm an old guy who saw OJ play. Butch Byrd was before my time but his stats would certainly indicate Wall status. I would think Gilchrist too.

The OP subject line was "Bills of late" which I read as last 10-15 years. So maybe the fans on the board aren't a joke, they just have better reading comprehension than you.

Kyle Williams has had a WAY better career than Phil Hansen. Moorman & Fred Jackson have a chance as well. Ruben Brown should be up there and maybe Eric Moulds. Bennett should have been up there years ago.

moulds or brown need to go up this year. Maybe both.

Down the line Jackson and williams. I'd do Jackson at a time when we need fans pumped