PFF:Taylor undervalued QB.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from the article, a bit of an oddity:

35th in pass attempts in 2015? are they saying that 3 backups (in addition to the starters on those teams) had more pass attempts than Tyrod? last year too, another backup also had more attempts than Tyrod?

perhaps i am missing something simple here but i don't see it.

It's pass attempts per game. Meaning some backups threw more in their games than Tyrod did.

Tyrod hater's worst nightmare is him having a playoff-caliber season.

That makes zero sense. I dislike Tyrod plenty, but if the guy shows up huge, and takes us to the playoffs, sign me up. All of a sudden those those two first rounders could really help towards roster building instead of possibly having to draft a QB with one of them.

Now, do I this he'll be that guy, absolutely not. Nevertheless, the team is who I root for. Never would root for someone to fail on purpose while in the Bills uniform.

That Denver team was an outlier. As was Carolina's run in 2015. But keep in mind I did not argue it was necessary to have a good yards per catch per attempt. It just is better than the alternative.

Patriots and Falcons were also tied for 1st in interceptions + fumbles. Bills were 2nd.

Not saying low interception numbers are necessary to have a good year. It's just better than the alternative.

That makes zero sense. I dislike Tyrod plenty, but if the guy shows up huge, and takes us to the playoffs, sign me up. All of a sudden those those two first rounders could really help towards roster building instead of possibly having to draft a QB with one of them.

Now, do I this he'll be that guy, absolutely not. Nevertheless, the team is who I root for. Never would root for someone to fail on purpose while in the Bills uniform.

Honestly just making the playoffs will not convince any Tyrod hater worth his salt that he's any good,even if he has a decent year.

Patriots and Falcons were also tied for 1st in interceptions + fumbles. Bills were 2nd.

Not saying low interception numbers are necessary to have a good year. It's just better than the alternative.

I believe in assessing risk properly. If my QB throws a pick on 3rd and 10 on the 50 yard line with 35 seconds left and it it intercepted deep it is the same as a punt. You will get more picks when you challenge a defense to make plays. Playing not to lose might feel right for a Jauron or a Rex Ryan but I prefer a bolder approach.

I believe in assessing risk properly. If my QB throws a pick on 3rd and 10 on the 50 yard line with 35 seconds left and it it intercepted deep it is the same as a punt. You will get more picks when you challenge a defense to make plays. Playing not to lose might feel right for a Jauron or a Rex Ryan but I prefer a bolder approach.

No I get it, only the stats you like matter, and the ones Tyrod is good in don't. Or there's some excuse. Even though the Super Bowl teams are #1 in the stat I chose (and playoff teams have a significant trend towards less turnovers) it doesn't matter.

What matters is YAC. Because it looks bad. Just like how every decision the Bills have made this offseason is bad because we didn't take Pat Mahomes. You have a one track mind. I haven't been getting as involved in the Tyrod discussions lately. I think all that could be said has been said. Join me in waiting and seeing jeff. The season is almost here.

No I get it, only the stats you like matter, and the ones Tyrod is good in don't. Or there's some excuse. Even though the Super Bowl teams are #1 in the stat I chose (and playoff teams have a significant trend towards less turnovers) it doesn't matter.

What matters is YAC. Because it looks bad. Just like how every decision the Bills have made this offseason is bad because we didn't take Pat Mahomes. You have a one track mind. I haven't been getting as involved in the Tyrod discussions lately. I think all that could be said has been said. Join me in waiting and seeing jeff. The season is almost here.

I laid out what I wanted to happen BEFORE we hired the coach and GM. A real GM search for the best candidate to get players for the Buffalo Bills. Then the GM picks a top coach who can run a 21st century offense and develop a QB. If we had done a real GM search and landed the next John Schneider and then the GM chose Jim Bob Cooter I would be accused of excessive Kool-Aid posts. But instead the Pegulas got a list from the NFL and a name "jumped out at them" and then they invited Sean on their yacht before asking any football questions as he "had them at hello".

So no, passing on Mahomes was terrible but they set themselves up for that by the prior moves.

Yes he does have a one track mind and unless he gets his way it's the wrong way. Already doesn't like the Sabres new coach because he's a Leafs fan

I laid out what I wanted to happen BEFORE we hired the coach and GM. A real GM search for the best candidate to get players for the Buffalo Bills. Then the GM picks a top coach who can run a 21st century offense and develop a QB. If we had done a real GM search and landed the next John Schneider and then the GM chose Jim Bob Cooter I would be accused of excessive Kool-Aid posts. But instead the Pegulas got a list from the NFL and a name "jumped out at them" and then they invited Sean on their yacht before asking any football questions as he "had them at hello".

So no, passing on Mahomes was terrible but they set themselves up for that by the prior moves.

...non sequitur.............

...pretty interesting.....don't think EJ or TT started off in the greatest working environments (exclude injuries as they're part of game for all teams)......no need to rehash.......despite numerous chances, EJ unfortunately showed he didn't have "it".....on the other hand, TT has shown promise in spite of all the crap (Wrecks, Roman firing, Lynn trying to do his best)....if Dennison can design an offense to break his tendencies of one read and taking off, better WCO type options, utilizing the back field more (NE's Faulk used to kill us), this kid could yet develop into a solid starter.....worry about the "franchise QB" moniker later and the 1,284 purported definitions of exactly what the hell that means anyway.............

This is a fantastic post. It's almost exactly how I feel.

Good stuff :thumbsup:

I have a sneaking suspicion TT is going to have a great season. He will become the franchise QB we all want under this new coaching regime.

If not, move on and see what Peterman can do. Or someone else. <shrug>

But I'm optimistic Tyrod can step up.

That Denver team was an outlier. As was Carolina's run in 2015. But keep in mind I did not argue it was necessary to have a good yards per catch per attempt. It just is better than the alternative.

They weren't outliers. They were 1 & 2 in Defensive DVOA that year, which is also a pretty good indicator for team success.

To add to my earlier post I am not saying take credit off Tyrod for his deep balls. I am saying I don't agree with the methodology because devaluing perfectly thrown balls because they are not thrown far is nonsensical to me.

Maybe a perfectly thrown 30 yard pass is more difficult than a perfectly thrown 3 yard pass. It's not about taking credit away from the 3 yard pass itself, it's more about all the work the WR does after that gets added in and factored into normal passer rating 0:)

They weren't outliers. They were 1 & 2 in Defensive DVOA that year, which is also a pretty good indicator for team success.

Winning a Superbowl with a poor passing attack is an outlier. It's like the people who say why can't we win with "insert crap QB" who can be our Trent Dilfer? Carolina I was speaking to their offense just rolling people as an outlier.

Maybe a perfectly thrown 30 yard pass is more difficult than a perfectly thrown 3 yard pass. It's not about taking credit away from the 3 yard pass itself, it's more about all the work the WR does after that gets added in and factored into normal passer rating 0:)

Throwing a perfect slant pass to hit a receiver in stride is a skill that should not be dismissed. It really helps the offense when a QB can hit those passes as well as deep go patterns as the slants and YAC stuff moves the chains.

New England and Atlanta had the highest Yards Per Catch per pass in the league and met in the Superbowl. Tyrod was bottom 2 in the NFL.

I assume you meant to say Yards After Catch per Reception. Otherwise, your post is blatant misinformation.

To add to my earlier post I am not saying take credit off Tyrod for his deep balls. I am saying I don't agree with the methodology because devaluing perfectly thrown balls because they are not thrown far is nonsensical to me.

I tend to agree with you. I think YPA is the single most meaningful stat, and I don't really care how far the ball travels in the air. Yards are yards.

Winning a Superbowl with a poor passing attack is an outlier. It's like the people who say why can't we win with "insert crap QB" who can be our Trent Dilfer? Carolina I was speaking to their offense just rolling people as an outlier.

Throwing a perfect slant pass to hit a receiver in stride is a skill that should not be dismissed. It really helps the offense when a QB can hit those passes as well as deep go patterns as the slants and YAC stuff moves the chains.

Winning a Super Bowl with a poor defense is also an outlier. And I'd argue that your point would be more accurate if you said winning with a one-dimensional offense is an outlier.