Rick Dennison interview on WGR

Interesting comments:

-TT needs to get the ball out a lot quicker

- this is coachable

-this offense will be more timing based

- his feet will tell him when to throw it

- They won't ask him to do a lot at the LOS... the read will take him to the right person.

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/05-19-bills-offensive-coordinator-rick-dennison-howard-and-jeremymp3

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting comments:

-TT needs to get the ball out a lot quicker

- this is coachable

-this offense will be more timing based

- his feet will tell him when to throw it

- They won't ask him to do a lot at the LOS... the read will take him to the right person.

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/05-19-bills-offensive-coordinator-rick-dennison-howard-and-jeremymp3

His first point is definitely the most important, since it will mitigate Tyrod's biggest weakness (holding the ball too long), as well as his second biggest weakness (bailing the pocket too soon and in the wrong direction).

Regarding his final point, if Tyrod can get become more consistent in reading across the field (as opposed to just the High-Low concepts he's become efficient with) it'll really open up the playbook and limit opposing safeties' ability to roll coverage.

His first point is definitely the most important, since it will mitigate Tyrod's biggest weakness (holding the ball too long), as well as his second biggest weakness (bailing the pocket too soon and in the wrong direction).

Regarding his final point, if Tyrod can get become more consistent in reading across the field (as opposed to just the High-Low concepts he's become efficient with) it'll really open up the playbook and limit opposing safeties' ability to roll coverage.

is it really coachable like he says?

and I would add to this, it is expected that he would need to get the ball out quicker because its a new offense and concepts from last years whack ass passing offensive scheme

and I would add to this, it is expected that he would need to get the ball out quicker because its a new offense and concepts from last years whack ass passing offensive scheme

Dennison was interesting in that he said He didn't care what he was taught or coached before or what the scheme was. But didn't sound like he was very impressed with it.

I guess that depends upon how you define "coachable"...in my opinion, and this may sound stuffy because it's a semantics point, "coachable" is a word that applies to the player, whereas "learnable" is the word I would use to describe the technique.

I would say that it's definitely learnable; the question is precisely how coachable​ the player is when it comes to this one particular issue.

I think Tyrod can learn the skill; I'm just not sure how well he can marry it with what he innately does well.

Dennison was interesting in that he said He didn't care what he was taught or coached before or what the scheme was. But didn't sound like he was very impressed with it.

To be fair, the previous OCs didn't exactly give Tyrod a ton to handle in terms of pre-snap or post-snap reads; they more or less allowed him play within his comfort zone.

I want to believe him but I'm not sure if it is. It seems like it's more of an internal make up of the player that's really hard to break.

Did you hear the WGR segment with Sam Wyche coaching Bledsoe to get the ball out quicker? Using the blown horn as the alarm. Didn't help at all. I forgot about those days.

I guess that depends upon how you define "coachable"...in my opinion, and this may sound stuffy because it's a semantics point, "coachable" is a word that applies to the player, whereas "learnable" is the word I would use to describe the technique.

I would say that it's definitely learnable; the question is precisely how coachable​ the player is when it comes to this one particular issue.

I think Tyrod can learn the skill; I'm just not sure how well he can marry it with what he innately does well.

To be fair, the previous OCs didn't exactly give Tyrod a ton to handle in terms of pre-snap or post-snap reads; they more or less allowed him play within his comfort zone.

i have no doubt that he will put the work in. I'm just skeptical that when the bullets start flying he will not revert back to his tendencies.

the west coast offense is timing based so the entire success of the play is whether or not Tyrod can get the ball out at the exact right moment. if anything, it will force him to make the throw at a certain time when in the past he has held onto it. whether he can do it or not is another question. if they practice it enough and he gets the timing down then it should be second nature.

Not sure if it's coachable for a QB to dissect a defense to make the right read in a timely fashion with confidence. We'll see, but I'm skeptical.

i have no doubt that he will put the work in. I'm just skeptical that when the bullets start flying he will not revert back to his tendencies.

I too am quite skeptical, and a bit concerned by the approach. Why would you take a player like Tyrod and try to fit him into a timing offense, which requires precision and anticipation?

Edited by Coach Tuesday

I too am quite skeptical, and a bit concerned by the approach. Why would you take a player like Sammy and try to fit him into a timing offense, which requires precision and anticipation?

Why cant Sammy thrive in an offense based on precision and anticipation?

I too am quite skeptical, and a bit concerned by the approach. Why would you take a player like Sammy and try to fit him into a timing offense, which requires precision and anticipation?

In college he was very successful converting bubble screens etc into long gains.

I would seriously poo my pants if I ever saw Tyrod do a 3 step drop, plant, and throw. It's literally never happened. He likes to bounce around, pat the ball a few times, run to the side, point, scramble a little, and then throw. I want to see Tyrod on the list of QB's with the fastest average time in the pocket, up there with Brady at less than 2 seconds. I don't think he can do it. Yates and Peterman are more suited for that style of offense. Tyrod thinks he's in college and can run around and make people miss and turn a simple play into a highlight reel. He's either going to sink or swim in this offense and if he can't execute the play then they are going to move on from him pretty quickly

Edited by kdiggz

I would seriously poo my pants if I ever saw Tyrod do a 3 step drop, plant, and throw. It's literally never happened. He likes to bounce around, pat the ball a few times, run to the side, point, scramble a little, and then throw. I want to see Tyrod on the list of QB's with the fastest average time in the pocket, up there with Brady at less than 2 seconds. I don't think he can do it. Yates and Peterman are more suited for that style of offense. Tyrod thinks he's in college and can run around and make people miss and turn a simple play into a highlight reel. He's either going to sink or swim in this offense and if he can't execute the play then they are going to move on from him pretty quickly

has his offense ever asked him to do a quick 3 step drop? has he played in a WCO before?

Then how do you know he cannot do it?

I would seriously poo my pants if I ever saw Tyrod do a 3 step drop, plant, and throw. It's literally never happened.

Dude...

http://www.cover1.net/2017/03/tyrod-taylors-2016-passing-campaign-misinterpreted-misused/

"Statistics show Tyrod Taylor is a capable quick-game quarterback. On the season, Taylor completed roughly 65 percent of his throws and had an accuracy rating of 79.1 percent when throwing quick-game off of a 3-step drop. The Bills’ offense motioned 33 percent of the time while they had a quick-game concept play called. The quick game allowed Taylor to diagnose the defensive coverage pre-snap and find the correct receiver to throw the football to post-snap. The quick game is an effective way to pick up a decent amount of yards on early downs. Some of Taylor’s best passing games were when he was efficient in the 3-step passing game (See above chart)."

Tyrod is 27 years old and has been playing his way for most of those years. He plays within his comfort zone.

Hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Tyrod is 27 years old and has been playing his way for most of those years. He plays within his comfort zone.

Hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

You cant. 3 years as a backup "developing" then two as a starter and he still doesn't have it

I'd prefer it if they designed the offense around his unique skillset. He's at his best when improvising. It doesn't have to be a bad thing that he holds on to the ball longer most because he can avoid pressure longer than most. Designed rollouts, moving pocket, guys running deep, etc. Be unconventional.