[Vague Title]Sammy Watkins puts up a Million $ and doesnt show fo

Do you think that they would be strangers?

You must hate the RICO laws too, no?

Let's can agree to disagree, shall we? I dislike murderers. I have seen enough of their work and don't view these darlings from an abstract, lofty, sanctimonious perch.

Fact: the charge against Jari McMiller, Sammy Watkins half-brother, is felony racketeering, not murder. I google searched, and can find nothing about previous arrests or charges of murder against him.

Fact: the point I raised, was applying the law equally to everyone. From the OP link: "Defense attorney Donald Day fired back, "I appreciate that comment judge, but I can't find any legal authority with that requirement."

Fact: nowhere in the post you're replying to did I say anything about RICO laws much less hating them.

Fact: If the legal system believes someone is too dangerous to release, they can not set bail. Pretrial detention of someone on the grounds of dangerousness has been ruled on by the USSC as not intrinsically unconstitutional

The specific question I raise is: whether having set bail, the legal system should accept the amount of bail they set and not impose additional restrictions not imposed on all equally.

The generalized question is: should the law be applied equally to all citizens?

Lofty, sanctimonious perching about "disliking murderers" when that's not the charge and speculation about my emotions regarding RICO are not fair game for "agreeing to disagree" because they are not the questions at hand.

If you believe it is justified for the court to treat some citizens differently wrt matters such as bond/bail because they might be guilty of crimes other than they are charged with, or because in your view felony racketeering justifies keeping people for whom bail has been set in jail, Sure! we can disagree to disagree about that.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fact: the charge against Jari McMiller, Sammy Watkins half-brother, is felony racketeering, not murder. I google searched, and can find nothing about previous arrests or charges of murder against him.

Fact: the point I raised, was applying the law equally to everyone. From the OP link: "Defense attorney Donald Day fired back, "I appreciate that comment judge, but I can't find any legal authority with that requirement."

With all due respect to the defense attorney, but it certainly looks like source of funds can be used as a condition in a bail hearing

With all due respect to the defense attorney, but it certainly looks like source of funds can be used as a condition in a bail hearing

You are right - it certainly can. But in this particular case it seems pretty clear cut where the money came from if sammy signed the check. He can cover the $100,000.

Serious question....how do you keep from getting banned? Your posts totally warrant it but you do seem to slide by.

I get spoken to about it. And my length of being here and ability to toe the line is skillful

You are right - it certainly can. But in this particular case it seems pretty clear cut where the money came from if sammy signed the check. He can cover the $100,000.

I don't understand how it's clear cut. Did the guy show up in court with a personal check from Watkins and an affidavit certifying the signature was genuine? Did he bring a notarized paper trail showing where the money came from?

While guys on a Buffalo Bills fan board may be familiar with the details of his contract, assuming that a judge in FL has ever heard of Watkins much less knows what his contract says is fairly ridiculous. I imagine that's why he wanted Watkins there -- to testify that he does in fact have an NFL contract, $X of liquid funds, did post the bond, etc. That's the whole point, putting someone on the hook for coming up with the money. That happens via court testimony. People here seem to think the judge's job is to investigate that in his spare time.

If you're going to post million dollar bonds for people, you just might need to show up in court. Shocking concept.

I don't understand how it's clear cut. Did the guy show up in court with a personal check from Watkins and an affidavit certifying the signature was genuine? Did he bring a notarized paper trail showing where the money came from?

While guys on a Buffalo Bills fan board may be familiar with the details of his contract, assuming that a judge in FL has ever heard of Watkins much less knows what his contract says is fairly ridiculous. I imagine that's why he wanted Watkins there -- to testify that he does in fact have an NFL contract, $X of liquid funds, did post the bond, etc. That's the whole point, putting someone on the hook for coming up with the money. That happens via court testimony. People here seem to think the judge's job is to investigate that in his spare time.

If you're going to post million dollar bonds for people, you just might need to show up in court. Shocking concept.

That's what the lawyers are for sir. Only thing sammy does by showing up is also testifying under oath that the bail is legit. Which the father and the defendant already did. Ya think the brother is going to risk another charge after getting off (relatively) easy? I mean, maybe, but again, sammy's got the $100,000.

Also, Florida, even though it seems so at times, isn't some third world country. They have the internets down there i'm fairly certain.

I'm just a dick haha

Yup we know.

Edited by Zulu Cthulhu

So everyone's assuming this judge follows football, or the Bills or Clemson and knows exactly who Watkins is. There's nothing wrong with asking him to appear and explain if that is what would normally be done in this situation to anyone else. Doesn't matter if his brother is a pro athlete or famous/well known, they just want to confirm where/how the money was put up. I'm sure in many cases involving racketeering and money laundering there's a possibility money could have been put up under someone else's name that it might look less suspicious from (like a wealthy relative)

If he didn't want to show up, maybe he shouldn't have put the money up or made other arrangements to meet the courts request. Just because he is somewhat well known, or a pro athlete shouldn't mean he gets preferential treatment or the rules don't apply.

That isn't the law