What if Peterman is better than Mahomes??

This is exactly my point. The Chiefs win with Alex Smith because they have a better overall roster and coaching. Do you honestly think switching out Alex Smith and Tyrod makes a huge difference to that record?

In Smith's 2nd year in Kansas City, the Chiefs went 9-7 and missed the playoffs. You're telling me you wouldn't have been calling for a 1st round QB the next year and to get rid of Alex Smith? Well Andy Reid didn't. Like I said and you are continuing to ignore this point, we are ahead of their schedule.

Not even close. Tyrod Taylor is not Alex Smith and never had his success. If Tyrod was leading us to the playoffs every year then you could make your case. But he is a QB that falls apart in big moments and in the 4th quarter where games are won.

Nope.

We take the two good picks and get a real QB as opposed to Mahomes or Alex Smith.

You mean you try to trade up for a Carson Wentz type. Hey, that could happen. You aren't getting a prospect better than that as teams will not trade even a Jameis Winston level prospect for your 2 1sts if one is 10 and another is 20.

Not even close. Tyrod Taylor is not Alex Smith and never had his success. If Tyrod was leading us to the playoffs every year then you could make your case. But he is a QB that falls apart in big moments and in the 4th quarter where games are won.

Alex Smith is terrible. TERRIBLE! He got benched for Kaep. He's good enough to not turn the ball over and beat crappy and mediocre teams but will never be able to take a team anywhere.

You mean you try to trade up for a Carson Wentz type. Hey, that could happen. You aren't getting a prospect better than that as teams will not trade even a Jameis Winston level prospect for your 2 1sts if one is 10 and another is 20.

I don't think the bills will be in the 20 range. So maybe a 10 and a 12.

Alex Smith is terrible. TERRIBLE! He got benched for Kaep. He's good enough to not turn the ball over and beat crappy and mediocre teams but will never be able to take a team anywhere.

I don't think the bills will be in the 20 range. So maybe a 10 and a 12.

So what QB prospect do you want? Or is this just hope?

Sure, if you have the 2001 Ravens or the 85 Bears. But if you have teams that great why not also get a QB better than Tyrod Taylor? I don't get why you are so obsessed with other team's backups. And if Mcdermott and Beane think they are about to create the 85 Bears in 2 years then they will be packing their stuff. The NFL has changed and teams need to adapt. Trying to win without a very good QB is going to a fight with both arms tied behind your back.

why you are so obsessed with other team's backups

funny you post that, well, since you have another teams possible back up as your avatar?

talk about obsessed, hey kettle, meet pot...

....fact....when Alex was available, OBD passed because they termed him a "lateral move from Fitzpatrick".......OBD QB prowess is enviable..............

Which I am sure plays into the reason why the entire scouting and personnel staff was just fired...

Hopefully the new staff being out together will do a much better job at evaluating QBs.

If they plan to focus on accuracy, ability to read defenses, find open receivers and throw with anticipation (as the Peterman pick, and what McDermott said afterwards seems to suggest), I already like our chances a LOT better than under the old staff.

So what QB prospect do you want? Or is this just hope?

Hope that between Peterman, Cardale, and one of the 5 projected five first rounds picks one turns into a real franchise guy.

Drafting a quarterback is really a crap shoot. Just because a team trades up to get you, doesn't mean you will pan out. Who is a better quarterback Jared Goff or Dak Prescott? Wouldn't it be funny if Mahomes is a bust and Peterman is the next Zak Prerscott. LOL The Bills are due to get some luck.

That would be awesome for us, and certainly not unprecedented that a QB drafted later outplays QB drafted ahead of him.

However, smart money plays the odds and the odds of drafting a good QB in the first half of the first round are highest.

Which I am sure plays into the reason why the entire scouting and personnel staff was just fired...

Hopefully the new staff being out together will do a much better job at evaluating QBs.

If they plan to focus on accuracy, ability to read defenses, find open receivers and throw with anticipation (as the Peterman pick, and what McDermott said afterwards seems to suggest), I already like our chances a LOT better than under the old staff.

...just sad that as far as the QB spot since the Kelly era. OBD has been the epitome of mumblin', grumblin', rumblin' stumblin' when it comes to THE most important position on the football field...TE spot has been a close second...patchwork FO/Admins do strange things I guess..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Alex Smith had a much better defense and MUCH better coaching. This is your problem, you can't see that the rest of the team matters too. AND they don't have to worry about the Patriots being in their division. You could switch Alex Smith out with Tyrod Taylor and not see a record difference on either side, I stand by that.

Again - Andy Reid followed the exact strategy we're doing right now.

Alex Smith had a much better defense and MUCH better coaching. This is your problem, you can't see that the rest of the team matters too. AND they don't have to worry about the Patriots being in their division. You could switch Alex Smith out with Tyrod Taylor and not see a record difference on either side, I stand by that.

Again - Andy Reid followed the exact strategy we're doing right now.

You're assuming that Andy Reid would want to design an offense around Tyrod. Reid would not.

The model I want to follow is the Raiders who took their young QB and just won 12 games with a defense worse than Buffalo.

Edited by jeffismagic

Over a 2 year period:

QB1: 7,620 Total Yards, 42 Total TDs, 15 INTs, and an average passer rating of 93.3

QB2: 7,206 Total Yards, 47 Total TDs, 12 INTs, and an average passer rating of 94.5

Take your pick.

Over a 2 year period:

QB1: 7,620 Total Yards, 42 Total TDs, 15 INTs, and an average passer rating of 93.3

QB2: 7,206 Total Yards, 47 Total TDs, 12 INTs, and an average passer rating of 94.5

Take your pick.

That's the problem with QB rating with no context. If both QB's are asked to carry their team then QB rating could be a fair way to evaluate two different players. But if one QB is hidden by a top running game and throws into good situations then it is not. Tyrod Taylor has to be protected and therefore his value is far lower than Alex Smith. Alex Smith is also near the end of his career and will be replaced next year. If that's what you want for Tyrod then sign me up.

Over a 2 year period:

Take your pick.

Hmm, those numbers look surprisingly similar. Does one have Rex at the helm screwing things up? That could affect the outcome of games.

That's the problem with QB rating with no context. If both QB's are asked to carry their team then QB rating could be a fair way to evaluate two different players. But if one QB is hidden by a top running game and throws into good situations then it is not. Tyrod Taylor has to be protected and therefore his value is far lower than Alex Smith. Alex Smith is also near the end of his career and will be replaced next year. If that's what you want for Tyrod then sign me up.

So one QB is asked to carry the team and produces fewer TDs and more Turnovers and you're telling me he's better than the QB that is 'hidden' and produces more TDs and fewer turnovers?

So one QB is asked to carry the team and produces fewer TDs and more Turnovers and you're telling me he's better than the QB that is 'hidden' and produces more TDs and fewer turnovers?

What QB are you talking about? I don't feel like opening pro football reference and delving further into this.