Knowing what you know today about Kelly and Brady

I realize that we can't compare eras....but I see a lot of " today's QB aren't tough or wouldn't last in the old days "........Brady has taken a crap load of hits throughout his career...and he's still playing at 40 years old...not only playing, but doing so at a MVP level....the guy whines a lot,but to say he's not tough is silly...he's missed the entire year in 2008 ( I think ) when he tore up his knee..but besides that year, I don't remember him ever going out during a game ...the Giants kept saying how tough he was after beating them in the SB.....Von Miller goes on and on how he respects Brady because of his toughness....The guy can take a hit....he's a tough dude....he's a whiner, but he's tough....

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize that we can't compare eras....but I see a lot of " today's QB aren't tough or wouldn't last in the old days "........Brady has taken a crap load of hits throughout his career...and he's still playing at 40 years old...not only playing, but doing so at a MVP level....the guy whines a lot,but to say he's not tough is silly...he's missed the entire year in 2008 ( I think ) when he tore up his knee..but besides that year, I don't remember him ever going out during a game ...the Giants kept saying how tough he was after beating them in the SB.....Von Miller goes on and on how he respects Brady because of his toughness....The guy can take a hit....he's a tough dude....he's a whiner, but he's tough....

Yep. He is, hands down, the greatest of all time.

Clearly Brady has had a far better career. But I have always contended that if Brady wasn't on the Patriots, and didn't have Bellidick's mastery finding guys that he could plus in and protect Marcia, and if Brady played on virtually any other team and had to face a constant rush in his face, he wouldn't have turned out nearly as good. And yes, I know how smart he is and how fast he can get the ball out and how he can move in the pocket. I also know he cant deal with a strong rush.

I don't know about that. I think if he had been on the Steelers with the receivers that Big Ben has had and their usual running game and defense that Pittsburgh would probably have won more than two Super Bowls since Big Ben has been quarterbacking that team. And I like him as a QB.

Brady is Brady. A guy that comes around once in a generation and no matter who he played for that team's record would be better than what it's been up to now. And if it's been one of the better teams such as Pittsburgh, Baltimore, they'd probably have more trophies than they do now.

And he probably deals with a strong rush better than any QB under the same pressure. His release is very quick and his reads are as well.

I don't know about that. I think if he had been on the Steelers with the receivers that Big Ben has had and their usual running game and defense that Pittsburgh would probably have won more than two Super Bowls since Big Ben has been quarterbacking that team. And I like him as a QB.

Brady is Brady. A guy that comes around once in a generation and no matter who he played for that team's record would be better than what it's been up to now. And if it's been one of the better teams such as Pittsburgh, Baltimore, they'd probably have more trophies than they do now.

And he probably deals with a strong rush better than any QB under the same pressure. His release is very quick and his reads are as well.

Slightly off topic, but sometimes I feel as if the Steelers have never unleashed Big Ben completely. The "Steeler way" is to play smash mouth football. Sometimes it seems as if they cling too tightly to this philosophy. They've has some great backs including their current back in Bell. Big Ben is an elite QB who doesn't get to run the same offense guys like Brady and Manning did.

I would state that Kelly would not fair as well in the Brady era,

Brady would not fair as well in the Kelly era.

The defense of the 90's and the ability to hit the QB would have had a greater impact on Brady. Would he have been as successful without the tuck rule and if a flag would not have been thrown every time someone breathed on him?

Kelly OTOH would be more like a Carson Palmer in the Brady Era.. Just my opinion

Dude, no way. Jim Kelly would eat defenses for breakfast in today's NFL. He was a prolific passer, lest ye forget. Hell man, Marino would hit 6000 yards lol.

But for real, he played in an era before the Ty Law rule, and the passing game exploded ever since. Keep Kelly healthy and upright and he'd torch everyone

What you really ought to consider is what if the Bills ended the 90s era by starting the Brady era. Instead of kids almost old enough to vote never having witnessed the bills in the postseason, we could have had 30 years of dominance. Wade Phillips would be BB.

Edited by voodoo poonani

Clearly Brady has had a far better career. But I have always contended that if Brady wasn't on the Patriots, and didn't have Bellidick's mastery finding guys that he could plus in and protect Marcia, and if Brady played on virtually any other team and had to face a constant rush in his face, he wouldn't have turned out nearly as good. And yes, I know how smart he is and how fast he can get the ball out and how he can move in the pocket. I also know he cant deal with a strong rush.

Not to mention the fact that in the 80s and 90s QB were hit with more fury. Could his body have handled it all these years. I think he would have retired already. There was not the protection of the QB. Only flag I remember for hitting the QB was if you slamed him to the ground. Edited by fansince88

Not to mention the fact that in the 80s and 90s QB were hit with more fury. Could his body have handled it all these years. I think he would have retired already. There was not the protection of the QB. Only flag I remember for hitting the QB was if you slamed him to the ground.

Could you imagine someone giving Tom the business, like Marty Lyons did to Jimbo? Lmao. I don't think you can even sneeze at Brady without a 15 yarder. Hell, I'm surprised they don't eject the player that sacks him, lol.

Hyperbole aside, draft Brady and give him a fire to burn on like he's had for 16 years and we'd be the best team, the greatest, believe me.

Kelly hands down. I personally think if you put Bellichick here as head coach, We win possibly all 4 superbowls. Bellichick made Brady, not the other way around.

This is where I was leaning. Would you rather have Bill or Marv?

This is where I was leaning. Would you rather have Bill or Marv?

...BB by a landslide.....hindsight is a beautiful thing, but I'd bet he goes no worse than 2-2 with the four Buffalo SB teams......and nobody would lose their helmet............

Kelly is a Buffalo legend who embraces the blue collar town.

Could anyone see pretentious Tom Brady and Giselle doing that?

Screw Brady, I'll take Jim any day over him.

He spent four seasons in Ann Arbor. If his career started here I don't think location would have been a big issue. Jimbo himself didn't want to come here. I think that fact makes this a somewhat moot point overall. Attitudes change when people actually see reality versus myth. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

I hate Brady but this is a giant blowout. Jim Kelly was a terrible playoff qb. He played on a team with no salary cap.

What the Pats and Brady are doing is unprecedented. He, sadly, is probably the great qb ever.

Surgeries are better now too. Marino probably could have played for a long time with his release but his Achilles injury was a killer when he played.

And Marino is far and way the better qb than Kelly. But Marino seemed to always want to be the star and I think guys secretly hated playing with him. He would have completely misused Thurman.

Agreed. Remind me again how many Super Bowls Jim Kelly willed his team to win? It makes me sick to my stomach to pick Tom Brady but he's arguably the GOAT. Brady, no contest.

Brady QBing the Bills in the late 80 and into the 90s would have won multiple Super Bowls. That team might have gone down as the greatest ever with Brady at the helm.

No he would not have survived under those rules. It is two different eras so hard to say. But i would take Dan Marino over both.

...BB by a landslide.....hindsight is a beautiful thing, but I'd bet he goes no worse than 2-2 with the four Buffalo SB teams......and nobody would lose their helmet............

I bet he goes 4-0.

I wish Kelly had played in the era where they protected quarterbacks like anything and opened up the passing game. And that the Bills had a DC cheater who gets away with everything, and is still glorified because of it, like Belichick.

Fixed

This is why I would take Kelly. Cry baby would not survive in a league when quarterbacks were still considered to be real football players.