Why Bills were smart to wait until now to clear out FO

The other thread is enormous and I keep seeing this asked in several threads, so thought this was worthy of its own otherwise it will get buried and the question will continue to come up...

Bills were wise to wait until after the draft to clean out the front office

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/30/bills-were-wise-to-wait-until-after-draft-to-clean-out-front-office/

Many have criticized the Bills for waiting until after the draft to fire G.M. Doug Whaley and the entire scouting department. While the franchise has done plenty of things in recent years that merit criticism, this wasnt one of them.

The end of the season is the best time to fire a coach, and the conclusion of the draft is the best time to move on from a G.M. Plenty of teams fire the G.M. at the end of the season due in part to an effort to appease the fans and quiet the media. This overlooks the fact that the G.M. has done plenty of work in preparation for free agency and the draft, and that a new G.M. would in some respects be starting from scratch.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I was surprised -really! -that so many posters vehemently argued it would never happen, that the time to release him and the scouting staff was at seasons end. I felt sure it would happen as it did because of the points Yolo makes.

Then again, most of the 'sodamnsmart' naysayers are newbies or refugees.

I think Florio is way off base here. The ideal scenario is to hire a GM and give him complete authority to hire his own coach (this is especially true for new owners as we're seeing first hand). What happened today was necessary, but still backwards.

I don't think it's all that complicated. Pegulas liked McDermott. Whaley liked Lynn. Pegulas hire McDermott anyway. Whaley starts to butt heads with McDermott like he probably did with Rex and Marrone. Pegulas see how polished and smart McDermott seems (we don't know yet for sure) and compares it to Whaleys fumbling, bumbling demeanor and made a decision. Bottom line, Whaley wasn't professional enough or smart enough for the job and he got fired.

I don't think it's all that complicated. Pegulas liked McDermott. Whaley liked Lynn. Pegulas hire McDermott anyway. Whaley starts to butt heads with McDermott like he probably did with Rex and Marrone. Pegulas see how polished and smart McDermott seems (we don't know yet for sure) and compares it to Whaleys fumbling, bumbling demeanor and made a decision. Bottom line, Whaley wasn't professional enough or smart enough for the job and he got fired.

actually the rumor was Whaley didn't want Lynn. Pegs did. Until he met McD. Whaley wanted to keep interviewing his guy from the Steelers and Pegs shut it down to go with McD.

"Now that the draft has ended, the Bills can move on. The only problem is that the new G.M. may not have hired the fairly new head coach. Which could eventually set the stage for even more dysfunction, culminating in the new G.M. wanting his own coach unless the new coach ends up being stronger than the usual G.M."

So, its a lose-lose scenario, unless you already had a secret agreement with your future GM.

"Now that the draft has ended, the Bills can move on. The only problem is that the new G.M. may not have hired the fairly new head coach. Which could eventually set the stage for even more dysfunction, culminating in the new G.M. wanting his own coach unless the new coach ends up being stronger than the usual G.M."

So, its a lose-lose scenario, unless you already had a secret agreement with your future GM.

Or you hire a GM who gets along with your HC.

i think this will operate similar to the Shanny Jr. situation in SF, where he handpicked his own GM.

Pretty sure its someone McD has worked with before.

Coming from pretty good organizations he probably recognized right away Whaley was in over his head.

The timing of Whaley firing was perfect! Now lets go hire the best new GM we can find.

Hey New GM! Come to Buffalo! We have already chosen the coach for you. We have already chosen the QB for you. Dont mind the fact that we strung Whaley and Scouts along for the past 4 months. Don't mind the fact that we fired Whaley the day after he secured us an extra 1st round pick. Just pretend that we didn't fall for Rex Ryan's glowing personality, hire him against Whaleys advisement, and send Whaley running through personnel hoops. Come to Buffalo. Its the perfect fit.

actually the rumor was Whaley didn't want Lynn. Pegs did. Until he met McD. Whaley wanted to keep interviewing his guy from the Steelers and Pegs shut it down to go with McD.

What is the definition or RUMOR?

Exactly, you're welcome

The timing of Whaley firing was perfect! Now lets go hire the best new GM we can find.

Hey New GM! Come to Buffalo! We have already chosen the coach for you. We have already chosen the QB for you. Dont mind the fact that we strung Whaley and Scouts along for the past 4 months. Don't mind the fact that we fired Whaley the day after he secured us an extra 1st round pick. Just pretend that we didn't fall for Rex Ryan's glowing personality, hire him against Whaleys advisement, and send Whaley running through personnel hoops. Come to Buffalo. Its the perfect fit.

Thanks, you saved me alot of typing. If I were a Qualified GM, Buffalo would be the last place I would go in all honesty and I love this team. Ownership is just too young and proven to be way over their heads right now trying to deal with 2 professional teams.

I have never once called our team dysfunctional ever until today. My NE and Jets fan friends don't understand this move at all either with the Pegula - Ryan fiasco. They actually thought Rex was the only thing holding the team back as Whaley filled this team with talent.

Ohh well, who is next up on the chopping block?

Edited by Real McCoy