Wade Phillips: New book

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a fairly easy choice.

Flutie had struggled all year.

Two mortifying HOME losses to non-playoff teams(Raiders/Giants) where Flutie was atrocious cost them homefield in the first two rounds and probably the easiest chance at a SB victory they had since SB XXV.

That Titans game in TN would have been the toughest challenge they faced.

And all the people who thought Doug Flutie might come up bigger in the playoffs had very short memories because he killed the Bills with his 5 turnovers in the wildcard game versus Miami the previous year facing a lesser team and a less hostile environment.

That MCM loss was a killer.......that was easily the best D the Bills have ever had since joining the NFL.......and a lot better than the Tampa defense that held the Rams to just 9 points in St. Louis in the NFC championship game.

They had a prime chance to steal a Lombardi that year......the same way that Baltimore and later Tampa did at that turn-of-century point where there were no great teams.

You are correct sir. I remember that Giants game vividly. It was a beautiful December day by WNY standards. 50 degrees/partly sunny/no wind. I took my dad to the game for his birthday. He was the biggest Flutie fan there was. Flutie was awful that day & he was awful for most of the season. Even my dad came away from that game saying "I think Flutie's time might be done here." With that being he was still a better option than Rojo, who never seem to sense where the pressure was coming from.

I wonder if Wade wrote about that Monday night game against the Colts in 2000. During the pre-game interview he was asked about the playoff implications, with both teams being 7-6. He said something along the lines of "neither of these teams is going to the playoffs." He was half right: the Bills lost that game & were basically done. The Colts won it & their next two, and made the playoffs. Good times.

I rewatched the MCM again recently.(It's on YouTube if you can stomach it)

I forgot how awful the announcers were in that game.... And how awful our offensive line was. Johnson was sacked around 6 times in the first half.

If I recall both starting OT's were out.......it was a rough day for the OL.

But as was Rob Johnson's MO he got hot at the end to lead a late comeback.

Guy was clutch and willing to sacrifice his body at the end of games and his whole-field arm....not as common around the league then as today...... made him dangerous in 4 down football.

Flutie had some high profile comebacks in his career but more often than not he was atrocious at the end of games because teams would sit on the short routes and he couldn't work tighter windows deep.

People remember Rob Johnson as a scrub but there was a reason many thought he could be great........when he was engaged/focused he was extraordinary.

It was the mundane, every-Sunday stuff where he just couldn't get up for to produce.........have to wonder if Cardale Jones has the same issues.........great in championship/playoff games at Ohio State but a dud against poor competition.

i love how everyone says Rob Johnson was the right choice.... his stats were absolutely horrendous in the wild card game and he gave up a safety at one point (i think he was 9-18 for 107 yards or something)

bills would not have been a playoff team had Rob Johnson started all 17 games that year... Flutie struggled that year but it is not far fetched to think flutie could have done a little more to win that game

It was a fairly easy choice.

Flutie had struggled all year.

Two mortifying HOME losses to non-playoff teams(Raiders/Giants) where Flutie was atrocious cost them homefield in the first two rounds and probably the easiest chance at a SB victory they had since SB XXV.

That Titans game in TN would have been the toughest challenge they faced.

And all the people who thought Doug Flutie might come up bigger in the playoffs had very short memories because he killed the Bills with his 5 turnovers in the wildcard game versus Miami the previous year facing a lesser team and a less hostile environment.

That MCM loss was a killer.......that was easily the best D the Bills have ever had since joining the NFL.......and a lot better than the Tampa defense that held the Rams to just 9 points in St. Louis in the NFC championship game.

They had a prime chance to steal a Lombardi that year......the same way that Baltimore and later Tampa did at that turn-of-century point where there were no great teams.

Flutie was responible for 3 turnovers not 5.... Eric Moulds fumbled a 50+ yard catch after being caught from behind and reed also fumbled in the 4th quarter (should have been called down) .... bills also had a eric moulds touchdown ruled out of bounds and an andre reed obvious touchdown ruled short of goalline (which led to 15 yard penalty for spiking his helmet - pre-replay era)

Edited by billz4life820

People remember Rob Johnson as a scrub but there was a reason many thought he could be great........when he was engaged/focused he was extraordinary.

It was the mundane, every-Sunday stuff where he just couldn't get up for to produce.........have to wonder if Cardale Jones has the same issues.........great in championship/playoff games at Ohio State but a dud against poor competition.

From what I remember, you could usually tell how engaged he was from the look on his face during pregame warmups. There were many Sundays when he seemed totally checked out before the game even started.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

i love how everyone says Rob Johnson was the right choice.... his stats were absolutely horrendous in the wild card game and he gave up a safety at one point (i think he was 9-18 for 107 yards or something)

bills would not have been a playoff team had Rob Johnson started all 17 games that year... Flutie struggled that year but it is not far fetched to think flutie could have done a little more to win that game

Flutie was responible for 3 turnovers not 5.... Eric Moulds fumbled a 50+ yard catch after being caught from behind and reed also fumbled in the 4th quarter (should have been called down) .... bills also had a eric moulds touchdown ruled out of bounds and an andre reed obvious touchdown ruled short of goalline (which led to 15 yard penalty for spiking his helmet - pre-replay era)

it's pretty amazing to see how people remember this era for the bills. johnson was an absolute waste. the guy was fantastic in shorts, but the moment the bullets started flying, he fell to pieces. is it total chance that the bills were 0-3 when he was the started, and then ripped off 4 straight wins, (one against the undefeated jags) once flutie took the spot? i don't think flutie was a great qb by any length of the imagination, but he was far better suited as the starter for the bills than johnson ever was. teams always had the ability to make johnson look foolish.

From what I remember, you could usually tell how engaged he was from the look on his face during pregame warmups. There were many Sundays when he seemed totally checked out before the game even started.

i don't have a link for it, but i specifically remember rob making a comment along the lines of you don't really have to be a leader if you want to play qb. i just don't think he ever had it in him. amazing athlete, useless qb.

It is really both parts fascinating and sad that 17 years removed from this era fans remain so passionately divided on this topic.

Fascinating, and sad. Bear in mind, I was 12 years old at the time so most of these memories are very hazy. But I remember our household, my mom, dad, and older brother were firmly in pro-Flutie camp. So I was a Flutie guy by default.

The last good coach we had.

...pretty sad how the guy always seemed to get jerked around despite being a top notch coach, DC definitely, HC is questionable......Ralph tried to screw him out of $800 grand as Bflo's HC with the "you quit...no you fired me" nonsense....arbitrator ruled in Wade's favor.....is Cowgirls HC and Scummy Jones pays his boy toy Garrett MORE as OC......goes to Denver, molds a great defense and Elway lets him walk......would be bittersweet to see Wade & Lynn make the playoffs in 2017 at LA......

Yep. Always got the impression he didn't love the game and it was forced on him by his dad, the QB guru of SoCal. But when provoked he was pretty good. If you only caught him at those moments you'd think he was a great QB. I remember Gruden saying he was enthralled with Rojo after watching him battle/compete against Flutie in San Diego and that's why he brought him to Tampa. You'd be hard pressed to pick his best game out of the short time he was in Buffalo because he actually had a bunch of them. But the duds were Trent/JP level unwatchable.

i don't have a link for it, but i specifically remember rob making a comment along the lines of you don't really have to be a leader if you want to play qb. i just don't think he ever had it in him. amazing athlete, useless qb.

IMO still the most physically gifted QB in Bills history. Combination of ideal height with a great arm, touch and accuracy all over the field and the ability to rip off 50 yard runs.

I wonder if there is a chapter on Ronnie Jones. If you follow Ronnie Jones career it is amazingly, astonishingly bad as he basically ruined any unit or team he coached.

That is next book. The title will be "One really bad decision: I should have fired Ronnie Jones".

IMO still the most physically gifted QB in Bills history. Combination of ideal height with a great arm, touch and accuracy all over the field and the ability to rip off 50 yard runs.

he really was. he was always one of the best at the qb skill competitions, usually winning them if i remember. when it came down to the final, physical aspects of football, he was a truly gifted guy. it just never clicked beyond that.

is there actually some rob johnson love in this thread? yuck.

i don't say this in defense of flutie, but if given a full season, johnson would have ruined this team.

Be careful with that yuck talk!

...pretty sad how the guy always seemed to get jerked around despite being a top notch coach, DC definitely, HC is questionable......Ralph tried to screw him out of $800 grand as Bflo's HC with the "you quit...no you fired me" nonsense....arbitrator ruled in Wade's favor.....is Cowgirls HC and Scummy Jones pays his boy toy Garrett MORE as OC......goes to Denver, molds a great defense and Elway lets him walk......would be bittersweet to see Wade & Lynn make the playoffs in 2017 at LA......

Wade is the amazing defensive minded coach that nobody seems to want around, despite his reputation for being a good guy and despite his results on defense.

Reminds me of Bruce Arians, who was informed by the Steelers that he was retiring.

Wade is the amazing defensive minded coach that nobody seems to want around, despite his reputation for being a good guy and despite his results on defense.

Reminds me of Bruce Arians, who was informed by the Steelers that he was retiring.

Wade's strength was adapting to his personnel.........which just might be the most important thing a HC can do and that's why he had the success he did at time.

But he was a lousy gameday head coach who didn't believe in sweating the details(like Rex).......which lead to his teams getting sloppy and more injury prone until it reached a point where he couldn't be retained.

For a man who was by no means a control enthusiast......he sure stood on some ill-conceived principles and died on those hills for it

It was a very telling sign about the direction of two organizations when Wade was utterly refusing to even wear a headset on the sidelines while BB was on the cusp of using communication devices to his advantage(via cheating) to turn a mediocre roster roster into a dynasty.

It's inconceivable nowadays that a HC would just delegate full authority to his coordinators and NOT EVEN KNOW what playcalls were coming :lol: .......which I think explains his seemingly omnipresent agape look of surprise on the sidelines.

When Wade got his shot in Dallas he did so WITH a headset and WITHOUT a certain mullet-sporting assistant gymn teacher coaching his NFL special teams. :flirt:

One other thing about Wade.........people see the jovial Wade nowadays and think he was always like that but he was in a constant state of pissed-off in Buffalo.

His TV show was hilarious as he would basically field softball questions and talk football for a half hour and glare into the distance and never even crack a smile.

And he would really give it back to the media.........I remember him gnawing on Mike DeGeorge for asking him about Marc Trestman turning down the Bills OC gig.......most coaches just give some coach speak and move on but Wade was like "what the hell is wrong with you asking me that question?". :lol: