WGR Draft Roundtable Today Noon

Yeah it's almost like we want to win or something.

If that were true we'd pay attention to how many duds there are. But hey, they all look like they're on their way to Canton a week before the draft.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If that were true we'd pay attention to how many duds there are. But hey, they all look like they're on their way to Canton a week before the draft.

You can't win if you don't score. I'm not sure how you ever get a franchise QB if you don't take shots to get one.

Calling out people that want a QB amidst one of the longest playoff droughts in NFL history is genuinely laughable to me.

I'm sure we were better off drafting Watkins, Gilmore, Dareus, Spiller, Maybin, Wood, and McKelvin, right? That's how you build a team, right?

I am more torn during the lead-up to this draft than I have ever been before.

On the one hand, there are some really talented playmakers that would drastically improve the Bills. Hooker, Adams, Foster, Reddick, M Williams, Davis, Howard...Sitting at 10, the Bills will have a shot at quality player, and they have glaring needs at WR, S, LB, RT, and CB.

On the other hand, they are perfectly situated to draft a franchise QB if they believe one is available in this draft. They are sitting at #10, have a starter in place to be a "bridge", and have a new head coach in place. The contract re-structuring they did with Tyrod screams "not sold on him" as QB of the future. They are in the PERFECT spot to land a QB this draft.

While drafting positional players year after year without having a franchise QB in place has resulted in utter mediocrity and 17 years of no playoffs, the Bills also have lots of needs and only six draft picks with which to attempt to fill them.

I'd hate to reach for a QB and strike out while missing out on some elite level positional talent. I'd also hate to draft a bazillionth cornerback and continue to not have a franchise QB. Everyone always gripes that the Bills don't do enough to address the QB position. Well, they're sitting at 10 and with a new head coach in place. What better time?

Really, really difficult choice this year. Glad I'm not the one who has to make it.

Edited by Logic

You can't win if you don't score. I'm not sure how you ever get a franchise QB if you don't take shots to get one.

Calling out people that want a QB amidst one of the longest playoff droughts in NFL history is genuinely laughable to me.

I'm sure we were better off drafting Watkins, Gilmore, Dareus, Spiller, Maybin, Wood, and McKelvin, right? That's how you build a team, right?

I'm calling out people who think the mere act of picking a QB creates instant success.

Dak looked incredible the moment he touched down in Dallas. The Dallas coaches realized before the season started that they had struck gold.

Complete nonsense. They hadnt even decided if they were sure about starting Dak over Romo after Romo healed. It went down to the wire. Let alone since the "moment he touched down". Lol

Complete nonsense. They hadnt even decided if they were sure about starting Dak over Romo after Romo healed. It went down to the wire. Let alone since the "moment he touched down". Lol

Well...It's Tony Romo...Not Brian Hoyer...What would you expect? There's a hell of a lot of history there and the Owner not only loves Romo, they are personal friends... B-)

It has been reported by the insider guys on this board that the Bills loved Dak and were going to take him in the 4th.

I'm pretty sure Sal Cappachio has gone on record saying Dak was the pick instead of Cardale had he been there...The Bills did like Dak quite a bit...But in typical Bills fashion they valued a MLB and back-up DT more than the most important position on the field...

I'm really unsure why any Bills fan is willing to let them off the hook on that one...The miscalculation and inability to work the Draft board in your favor, instead of against you, was really inexcusable...And to top it all off we don't have a 4th this year because of that stupid trade-up for Ragland... B-)

Well...It's Tony Romo...Not Brian Hoyer...What would you expect? There's a hell of a lot of history there and the Owner not only loves Romo, they are personal friends... B-)

I'm pretty sure Sal Cappachio has gone on record saying Dak was the pick instead of Cardale had he been there...The Bills did like Dak quite a bit...But in typical Bills fashion they valued a MLB and back-up DT more than the most important position on the field...

I'm really unsure why any Bills fan is willing to let them off the hook on that one...The miscalculation and inability to work the Draft board in your favor, instead of against you, was really inexcusable...And to top it all off we don't have a 4th this year because of that stupid trade-up for Ragland... B-)

If Ragland turns out to be a superstar linebacker, will it still have been a stupid trade? Probably should see the guy play in the NFL first before calling the move stupid.

If Ragland turns out to be a superstar linebacker, will it still have been a stupid trade? Probably should see the guy play in the NFL first before calling the move stupid.

I'll take my chances on the superstar thing, and still call it a stupid move if I want to...The truth is there is at least a decent chance Ragland would have been there had the Bills just stayed put...I don't like trading up and giving up picks...So I'm pretty much going to think it's stupid regardless...And that's just my opinion...It's nothing against Ragland...I did not like the trade up...And I definitely did not feel he was the sure fire 1st round talent Whaley said he was...He's a solid player...But IMHO he's not worth a 2nd and two 4th's, one of which cost the Bills a potential Franchise QB we now know they intended on Drafting...

If Ragland proves me wrong it's a win for me no matter what because I still love the Bills...But I think that superstar thing is a big-time long-shot...Especially with the ACL now... B-)

I'm calling out people who think the mere act of picking a QB creates instant success.

Excuse me, but...that's how you interpreted my post?

Literally not one person who thinks that.

Are you sure?

Yes, no one is saying that. No one. If you think that's the counter to your argument then you've completely misunderstood it.

Excuse me, but...that's how you interpreted my post?

Yes, no one is saying that. No one. If you think that's the counter to your argument then you've completely misunderstood it.

The way I understand the argument is "you'll never find that franchise QB if you don't draft one." It's the same argument the lottery uses in their ads. "You can't win if you don't play." But the odds are pretty long of winning so buying lottery tickets is not exactly a sound retirement strategy. Neither is just drafting people hoping one pans out. If you honestly look at the last 20 drafts you get one or two starters out of each draft. Maybe out of 8-10 starters there is an elite QB. That's out of hundreds of QB's drafted. Now if you think there is a guy, you get him. But don't let the itch of drafting a QB like a lottery ticket lead you to waste picks.

The way I understand the argument is "you'll never find that franchise QB if you don't draft one." It's the same argument the lottery uses in their ads. "You can't win if you don't play." But the odds are pretty long of winning so buying lottery tickets is not exactly a sound retirement strategy. Neither is just drafting people hoping one pans out. If you honestly look at the last 20 drafts you get one or two starters out of each draft. Maybe out of 8-10 starters there is an elite QB. That's out of hundreds of QB's drafted. Now if you think there is a guy, you get him. But don't let the itch of drafting a QB like a lottery ticket lead you to waste picks.

Drafting a QB is the only way to waste picks? See here I thought the way to waste picks was by drafting CB's or RB's you don't retain. Or maybe it's wasting top picks on guys like Maybin or Spiller or Whitner or McKelvin or even Mike Williams?

It sounds like the whole thing is a lottery, doesn't it?

Draft a QB. Keep drafting a QB. If you don't do that you wind up in situations where Tyrod Taylor is the best QB you've had in 20 years. That's right, we're now at a point where we celebrate average starting QB's that are mostly inept as passers simply because as a franchise we've neglected to groom at the very most important position.

Drafting a QB is the only way to waste picks? See here I thought the way to waste picks was by drafting CB's or RB's you don't retain. Or maybe it's wasting top picks on guys like Maybin or Spiller or Whitner or McKelvin or even Mike Williams?

It sounds like the whole thing is a lottery, doesn't it?

Draft a QB. Keep drafting a QB. If you don't do that you wind up in situations where Tyrod Taylor is the best QB you've had in 20 years. That's right, we're now at a point where we celebrate average starting QB's that are mostly inept as passers simply because as a franchise we've neglected to groom at the very most important position.

You are correct. All draft picks are crap shoots to some extent. Then there is the wild card of injuries. But QB is the most physically and mentally demanding position to play, and good ones don't come along by the dozen.

If the Bills drafted a QB every year, the odds are 80-90% that none of them would amount to anything. Those are wasted picks. Sure, you can waste them on linebackers, receivers, linemen, etc. But it's also easier to scout those positions so if your front office is competent, they are more likely to hit than miss.

And again, if your competent front office deems that none of the QBs available to them are worth drafting, or the good one would take too much to trade up for, you move on and wait till next year. EJ Manuel was a desperate attempt to scratch that QB itch. But the calls from fans to draft a QB in 2013 were just as loud as 2017.

We all want something that every team wants but only few have, but we still think that there are 4 or 5 "studs" in every class when history shows that is never the case.

You are correct. All draft picks are crap shoots to some extent. Then there is the wild card of injuries. But QB is the most physically and mentally demanding position to play, and good ones don't come along by the dozen.

If the Bills drafted a QB every year, the odds are 80-90% that none of them would amount to anything. Those are wasted picks. Sure, you can waste them on linebackers, receivers, linemen, etc. But it's also easier to scout those positions so if your front office is competent, they are more likely to hit than miss.

And again, if your competent front office deems that none of the QBs available to them are worth drafting, or the good one would take too much to trade up for, you move on and wait till next year. EJ Manuel was a desperate attempt to scratch that QB itch. But the calls from fans to draft a QB in 2013 were just as loud as 2017.

We all want something that every team wants but only few have, but we still think that there are 4 or 5 "studs" in every class when history shows that is never the case.

If you wait for the sure thing at QB you will never draft one. I have no problem drafting EJ Manuel, he was the best QB in that draft and it's a shame no one panned out. It happens. It also set the team no farther back than say...drafting Maybin.

My only problem with the Manuel pick is that the team did not draft a QB the year before or continue to draft a QB the following year.

As long as Mike Schopp and Paul Hamilton aren't part of it, I'll listen.

I am just the opposite.

As soon as I heard Sal Cappacio was leading it I was out.

Sal is a motor-mouth who drowns out everyone else in the room with his stories about living in Florida, and his little sources that never really break any news.

You can't have him on for more than a segment because he just talks over everyone else in the room.