Buffalo News sports department is a joke

bbb

Felser was a gentleman, and even when he was being critical it felt like the team was being scolded by a grandfather. He seemed to genuinely care about the teams and PEOPLE he covered. You could hear it in the anecdotes he was fond of telling, often about off-field interaction with players, coaches, front office, and Ralph.

My favorite comparison is Jim Kelley. He spoke his mind, could be tough and confrontational and take the Sabres to task while still maintaining (at least the appearance) of respect, gave credit when due, was an excellent writer, and most of all stood by his integrity.

The last bit is the part I miss the most. IMO Graham and Carrucci used to have that before the current era of non-edited internet news.

Good writers can be critical without resorting to insults

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny. I like Sully when on Toronto's Fan590. Not over the top, interesting opinions, and somewhat informative.

When he's on with Bucky on Sports Talk Sunday its like the crash of fing metal. Train wreck TV.

I understand that he's had not much positive to write about over the last....say 1000 years but sometimes his shooting fish in a barrel approach gets old. I really miss Felser. Real sweetheart of a guy in person too.

It's funny. I like Sully when on Toronto's Fan590. Not over the top, interesting opinions, and somewhat informative.

When he's on with Bucky on Sports Talk Sunday its like the crash of fing metal. Train wreck TV.

I understand that he's had not much positive to write about over the last....say 1000 years but sometimes his shooting fish in a barrel approach gets old. I really miss Felser. Real sweetheart of a guy in person too.

My God, a common sense post; you will get attacked!

New thread police huh? Gotta make sure you announce you have seen the thread before.

I was reading the Cardale thread and this is what I see posted by him:

Posted Yesterday, 08:41 PM

Original thought. Obviously needs a thread.

The Buffalo News is a joke, Sully is an idiot, Gleason is a moron, Harrington is a pompous ass, Carucci used to be good, now he is a hack, and the newspaper industry is dying blah blah blah...

Yet somehow these threads pop up several times a week year round. Amazing considering NO ONE reads the Buffalo News.

Carry on.

LOL

By now, you've proved my point. You said "Sully's article is totally refuted by Vic's," and I twice asked you to show the quotations where it happened and you've twice been unable to do so. Exactly.

And while the thing about the Pegulas may be clear to you it's at best unprovable, basically your opinion. Again, Jerry has said good things and bad things about the Pegulas, mostly depending on what they're doing at the time. Which is what a journalist should be doing. The journalistic reason to say that it would be nice for Terry to show up is that it's a reasonable opinion. It's that simple. A reasonable opinion with which reasonable people could disagree, but a reasonable opinion.

Don't like Jerry? Fair enough. Don't like the article? Again, fair enough. But that's what your objections come down to, that you don't like it, but you're trying to say there's something wrong with it and unsurprisingly not being able to show what.

Again, clicks don't matter to the News. That's not their profit model anymore, they're based on subscriptions.

But as for the rest, exactly. If you don't like it, don't read it. If you don't like a thread, click to another. I don't know why people don't get this.

Pretty sure they did away with that 10 article thing a while ago. I just went and clicked on 15+ different Buffalo News sports articles just to double check and I had no issues.

So yeah, I would say clicks most likely do matter to them...

Edited by BillsFan4

They like people to read their stuff, and like it. It makes it more likely that they will subscribe. Which is their model for making money. I saw an interview with Graham a couple of years back. He said that when they were still clicks-based and he was writing the Bills blog he was checking his clicks constantly, multiple times a day and often an hour. Then they converted to subscription and he said that just totally stopped. Said he hadn't checked his clicks in six months. n't because they don't care about if people read it or not.

Oh ok. Thanks makes sense when you put it that way.