St. Louis is suing the NFL and the Rams

St. louis "claims" a loss of $1 Billion

and yet there are people who say a sports franchise has little economic benefit

They could ask for a trillion dollars. It would not alter the fact that research has shown that publicly funded stadiums have a negligible impact on the regional economy (it's not "people who say").

Edited by Mr. WEO

St. louis "claims" a loss of $1 Billion

and yet there are people who say a sports franchise has little economic benefit

...that would have to be over a substantial period of time (maybe they calculate it based on the useful life of the publicly funded stadium factored by that percentage of investment).....obvious revenue benefit would be sales tax and perhaps property tax depending on financing structure.....ticket sales and merchandise sales are off limits.....don't know if club shares a percentage of concessions.....other revenue to local economy would be hotel rooms and offsite food/beverage, but who knows how many stay overnight?...if they won, that could certainly put a damper on clubs threatening to move if they don't get a publicly funded stadium....interesting...

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Shame on them if they didn't have a solid lease with a buyout that made sense. I bet they're mad, but they should be mad at themselves.

.....true, but Buffalo could be in the same situation if it was not for RW's brilliance in structuring the deal to ensure staying until what is it, 2023 or something.....

.....true, but Buffalo could be in the same situation if it was not for RW's brilliance in structuring the deal to ensure staying until what is it, 2023 or something.....

That's why you pay attention to the details. I'm sure it's more complicated than it seems, but if they didn't want this to happen, they should have protected against it. Once again, Ralph doesn't look so out of touch.

If the owner really said years ago that he found a great piece of property in la for the team that could be killer in court. Also, 3 teams moving so close could be a big issue if somehow they teamed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's why you pay attention to the details. I'm sure it's more complicated than it seems, but if they didn't want this to happen, they should have protected against it. Once again, Ralph doesn't look so out of touch.

.....correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you are looking at two distinctly different markets.....Buffalo was always negatively branded as a "small market team".....greedy bastards like Jones and Snyder implied we were carpetbaggers.....yet they tried to diplomatically tiptoe around RW who was one of the co-founders of my beloved AFL......St Louis is a larger market....not sure if St Louis "stole" the Rams or alleviated LA from supporting them when Georgia F made the relocation move....Kroenke actually supported her in the move....perhaps city let their guard down as far as an ironclad deal....BUT....arbitrators ruled in favor of Rams as far as a year to year lease in 2013 which was after her son/family sold their interest to him in 2010.....

...that would have to be over a substantial period of time (maybe they calculate it based on the useful life of the publicly funded stadium factored by that percentage of investment).....obvious revenue benefit would be sales tax and perhaps property tax depending on financing structure.....ticket sales and merchandise sales are off limits.....don't know if club shares a percentage of concessions.....other revenue to local economy would be hotel rooms and offsite food/beverage, but who knows how many stay overnight?...if they won, that could certainly put a damper on clubs threatening to move if they don't get a publicly funded stadium....interesting...

The "game day tax" on everything sold in the stadium was to go to the city to service their part of the bond on the Rams stadium. So what did the city do? It decided: "let's just give that money to the Rams instead!"

They finagle a 158 million naming rights (National Car Rental) deal. Maybe to cover the 100+ million still owed on the old stadium? "NO!---let's just give that to the Rams instead!"

The city/county leaders were so craven and so stupid that this just seems sad for the people of that town--and not because they are losing a crappy NFL team.

This suit is doomed. It's an ongoing embarrassment for St. Louis.

If the owner really said years ago that he found a great piece of property in la for the team that could be killer in court. Also, 3 teams moving so close could be a big issue if somehow they teamed up. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teamed up for...what? They are going to different places

screw st louis and their nonsense lawsuit. this is the stupidest thing i've read in this thread.

they'll hope to settle out of court to get some money after they waste a bunch of money to begin with... but they'll look really neat and help themselves win elections!

.....correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you are looking at two distinctly different markets.....Buffalo was always negatively branded as a "small market team".....greedy bastards like Jones and Snyder implied we were carpetbaggers.....yet they tried to diplomatically tiptoe around RW who was one of the co-founders of my beloved AFL......St Louis is a larger market....not sure if St Louis "stole" the Rams or alleviated LA from supporting them when Georgia F made the relocation move....Kroenke actually supported her in the move....perhaps city let their guard down as far as an ironclad deal....BUT....arbitrators ruled in favor of Rams as far as a year to year lease in 2013 which was after her son/family sold their interest to him in 2010.....

st louis isn't exactly a big place. it's nothing special at all.

the market doesn't matter. to give an example. i am worth nothing. when/if i ever get married she is signing a pre-nup. why? because it doesn't matter if i make $11/hr working as a ball inflator at the rec center or get a billion dollars i must spent in a certain amount of days with out telling anyone why i must spend it all.

The "game day tax" on everything sold in the stadium was to go to the city to service their part of the bond on the Rams stadium. So what did the city do? It decided: "let's just give that money to the Rams instead!"

They finagle a 158 million naming rights (National Car Rental) deal. Maybe to cover the 100+ million still owed on the old stadium? "NO!---let's just give that to the Rams instead!"

The city/county leaders were so craven and so stupid that this just seems sad for the people of that town--and not because they are losing a crappy NFL team.

This suit is doomed. It's an ongoing embarrassment for St. Louis.

teamed up for...what? They are going to different places

....a very interesting take and factual assessment providing pieces that I missed....thanks!.......I screwed up miserably.....Politicians 101 is usually a failed gang of lawyers who couldn't make it in the private sector and end up on the public doll as highly qualified(COUGH) elected "officials"....and yet we let them craft financial details when flash cards were a struggle...I love having them piss away my tax money.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

....a very interesting take and factual assessment providing pieces that I missed....thanks!.......I screwed up miserably.....Politicians 101 is usually a failed gang of lawyers who couldn't make it in the private sector and end up on the public doll as highly qualified(COUGH) elected "officials"....and yet we let them craft financial details when flash cards were a struggle...I love having them piss away my tax money.....

Yes, I don't see the market as being nearly as relevant as the politicians screwing up. Don't like the deal? Don't do it.