Two Weeks and Counting.........

Chef Jim

i was actually pretty shocked as to how decent the beer is at the brewery is now. i enjoy that place.

Genny has won numerous world wide awards through the years. Especially, cream ale.

Years ago when I was in Quad Cities, there was a guy in District that helped out during The Blizzard, he remembered drinking Genny Cream and loved it... When I went back to BFLo, he had me bring him back some. This was 1990, 13 years after The Blizzard and still he had fond memories of the beer. LoL

Even now, a younger guy at work on occasion has me bring him back a case or two of the screamers... Must be the higher alcohol content? He's a Cubs fan. ;-) He loves it! Seems like the beer would be a big hit in a very "German" midwest... Same with stuff like Weber's mustard... Yet they only market the stuff in WNY/CNY.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Genny has won numerous world wide awards through the years. Especially, cream ale.

Years ago when I was in Quad Cities, there was a guy in District that helped out during The Blizzard, he remembered drinking Genny Cream and loved it... When I went back to BFLo, he had me bring him back some. This was 1990, 13 years after The Blizzard and still he had fond memories of the beer. LoL

Even now, a younger guy at work on occasion has me bring him back a case or two of the screamers... Must be the higher alcohol content? He's a Cubs fan. ;-) He loves it! Seems like the beer would be a big hit in a very "German" midwest... Same with stuff like Weber's mustard... Yet they only market the stuff in WNY/CNY.

i haven't had a cream ale in years, but i remember it being good. i was a freshman in college in boston in 95. one of the guys on our floor had a fake id, so he went to the local packie and picked up the cheapest beer he could find...a 30 pack of cream ales. people loved them. we actually had our floor ra come in while we were drinking, and because of that strange, bright green can, i don't even think they realized it was beer.

i'm not a fan of genny light, but regular genesee is far better then expected. on top of that, nothing makes me feel more sophisticated than walking around with a genesse pounder.

i haven't had a cream ale in years, but i remember it being good. i was a freshman in college in boston in 95. one of the guys on our floor had a fake id, so he went to the local packie and picked up the cheapest beer he could find...a 30 pack of cream ales. people loved them. we actually had our floor ra come in while we were drinking, and because of that strange, bright green can, i don't even think they realized it was beer.

i'm not a fan of genny light, but regular genesee is far better then expected. on top of that, nothing makes me feel more sophisticated than walking around with a genesse pounder.

My father-in-law, nothing but Pounders. He gets them for himself and serves others the fancy dancy names... I tell him, I like the Genny. I think it is cheaper by volume right? ;-)

I think it would catch flak in an era when national beers were all the rage, just different era. People didn't understand, or many of them didn't appreciate or trust what they were getting so the national labels ruled as king. Different times now, products standardized and quality trusted. Amazing how differently my parents and especially inlaws would think about local products (outside the Genny thing) vs. corporate stuff marketed nationally. Different era.

My father... Joked about Genny but would be truthful about enjoying it on tap. Whatever that means! I guess it just goes to show you how differently a generation (especially ones that grew up pre-War/Depression) would think of products, places, etc... Probably raised on the Prohibition fear of not trusting small local brands, products, places... Things were sketchy back then on the small level. Ineresting, my in-laws will trust a place like Olive Garden over great small, local places... Every time!

Again, we are raised to trust diffetently today.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Thanks for the advice but I don't need any advice. I live in the Bay Area and know that river well. That's why I stick to wine.

Russian River Valley, Alexander Valley, Dry Creek and even into Mendocino....they all use the Russian. Must be great for beer and wine. That's why I don't give a hoot where the water source comes from...good is good.

Here is some advice. If you decide to visit a Paris thrill ride, make sure they harness you in:

https://weather.com/news/trending/video/woman-survives-failed-fairground-ride?pl=pl-editor-picks

Good thing you are only going to WNY!

Russian River Valley, Alexander Valley, Dry Creek and even into Mendocino....they all use the Russian. Must be great for beer and wine. That's why I don't give a hoot where the water source comes from...good is good.

You would if it was 1968, 1958, or 1948... Before clean water was cool!

;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

i was actually pretty shocked as to how decent the beer is at the brewery is now. i enjoy that place.

I was surprised too. $2 for a flight of four as well...can't beat it. My daughter goes to college in Rochester, so whenever I get back...I try and go and see what they have to offer. Three more weeks!!

Here is some advice. If you decide to visit a Paris thrill ride, make sure they harness you in:

https://weather.com/news/trending/video/woman-survives-failed-fairground-ride?pl=pl-editor-picks

Good thing you are only going to WNY!

You would if it was 1968, 1958, or 1948... Before clean water was cool!

;-)

Times are a changin' ... so we may also say 2018, but that's a different topic.

My father-in-law, nothing but Pounders. He gets them for himself and serves others the fancy dancy names... I tell him, I like the Genny. I think it is cheaper by volume right? ;-)

I think it would catch flak in an era when national beers were all the rage, just different era. People didn't understand, or many of them didn't appreciate or trust what they were getting so the national labels ruled as king. Different times now, products standardized and quality trusted. Amazing how differently my parents and especially inlaws would think about local products (outside the Genny thing) vs. corporate stuff marketed nationally. Different era.

My father... Joked about Genny but would be truthful about enjoying it on tap. Whatever that means! I guess it just goes to show you how differently a generation (especially ones that grew up pre-War/Depression) would think of products, places, etc... Probably raised on the Prohibition fear of not trusting small local brands, products, places... Things were sketchy back then on the small level. Ineresting, my in-laws will trust a place like Olive Garden over great small, local places... Every time!

Again, we are raised to trust diffetently today.

that's a really interesting take. i always try the small places over the large chains. i may pay a bit more, but i'd rather support local and have better food/service.

I was surprised too. $2 for a flight of four as well...can't beat it. My daughter goes to college in Rochester, so whenever I get back...I try and go and see what they have to offer. Three more weeks!!

the flights are such a great thing. they have a pretty solid beef on weck too.

that's a really interesting take. i always try the small places over the large chains. i may pay a bit more, but i'd rather support local and have better food/service.

the flights are such a great thing. they have a pretty solid beef on weck too.

Yep... Same here!

My in-laws are interesting. Tried and true, know what you are getting vs. the unknown. Would rather Pizza Hut over somewhere new! "They know what they are getting" different era, different time?

Until their daughter met me! ;-) :-)

LoL

Personally I don't partake in any of that stuff anymore. Well except for my WNY trips. I seem to be coming back more often these days for some reason. When's the opener??? :devil:

Remember to pick a fight on the plane, then refuse to leave when they kick you off. Airlines love that ****.

Then I'll sue. With the airlines so paranoid of bad press I bet I could get a couple hundred bucks. :thumbsup:

V4osBip.gif

Edited by Chef Jim