Mets fans?

Another Fan

Well put it in the books 2018.  At the beginning of the year I guessed around 80 wins and that seemed to be the consensus here.  We really weren't that far off the mark.  The issue was June, that wasn't just a bad month it was one of the worst months in the history of this franchise. 

Go after some bats this offseason, and bullpen help.  Don't see why we can't contend next year.

On a positive note its 7 more wins than last year

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Another Fan said:

Well put it in the books 2018.  At the beginning of the year I guessed around 80 wins and that seemed to be the consensus here.  We really weren't that far off the mark.  The issue was June, that wasn't just a bad month it was one of the worst months in the history of this franchise. 

Go after some bats this offseason, and bullpen help.  Don't see why we can't contend next year.

On a positive note its 7 more wins than last year

Keith wants a right handed bat,closer and a guy behind the plate,i agree.Yes AF.....June killed us and that month just may have cost Mick and his staff....but how can any new GM ignore the second half regrouping...I would like to see the staff stay in place but only if Disarcina knows his place.I'm stoked about McNeil and I'm ready to see the true potential that Alonso has to offer,keep in mind,he will be playing for Scottsdale soon.In addition,I hope the new GM thinks long and hard about keeping our top guns(Jake,Syd,Dream Wheeler) .GO METS!!!!!! Bring on March!

• Thank you (+1) 1

OK, so I admit this is a stretch for the Mets thread and I didn't get the specifics, but watching Rockies/Cubs they just posted a stat to the effect that the Rockies pitcher was ranked 2nd in throwing pitches (or strikes, not sure) on the outer part of the plate.

The tenuous Mets connection: Bartolo was #1. 

So Bart is a master of not leaving the ball over the plate and working the batters outside/inside.Keeping the ball down in the zone probably helps too.

13 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

OK, so I admit this is a stretch for the Mets thread and I didn't get the specifics, but watching Rockies/Cubs they just posted a stat to the effect that the Rockies pitcher was ranked 2nd in throwing pitches (or strikes, not sure) on the outer part of the plate.

The tenuous Mets connection: Bartolo was #1. 

So Bart is a master of not leaving the ball over the plate and working the batters outside/inside.Keeping the ball down in the zone probably helps too.

I heard on one of the last SNY broadcasts that Eiland's goal going into the season was to lead the league in hit batsmen.  The Mets made a concentrated effort to work the inside of the plate all season.

Speaking of pitching,Frank Viola left the organization and it will sting...I had him penciled in to be the FM in Syracuse next year,but with new management coming in he probably thought he would be out anyway....aand let's not forget,him not getting the LV job when Wally left didn't go over well either. 

On a side note...At age 65,Keith will return to the booth next year,not sure about Ronnie.

21 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Speaking of pitching,Frank Viola left the organization and it will sting...I had him penciled in to be the FM in Syracuse next year,but with new management coming in he probably thought he would be out anyway....aand let's not forget,him not getting the LV job when Wally left didn't go over well either. 

On a side note...At age 65,Keith will return to the booth next year,not sure about Ronnie.

Great news re: Keith.

Like Kevin Burhardt, I think we'll lose Ronnie to the national stage.

• 2 weeks later...

Doug Melvin - front-runner for GM - would likely keep Callaway.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25063761/doug-melvin-new-york-mets-gm-candidate-likely-keep-mickey-callaway-manager

"My feeling is that he probably deserves a chance to do this again," Melvin said during a telephone news conference. "I want to sit down if I get this job and talk extensively with Mickey and see his philosophy and that. But I think he does probably deserve a chance because he's been a good baseball guy."

I'm fine with that .... I guess. 

Here is what concerns me:

Now 66, Melvin was general manager of Texas from 1994 to 2001 and of Milwaukee from 2002 to '15. He shifted to an adviser's role in August 2015 as the Brewers were headed to a 64-98 record, saying then: "The job has grown to the point that it's probably suited to somebody younger than me."

"That's probably how I felt at that particular time," he said Tuesday. "But now that I've taken a little bit of a break from the day-to-day activities, I'm energized and excited at the challenges."

On 10/24/2018 at 6:29 AM, Gugny said:

Doug Melvin - front-runner for GM - would likely keep Callaway.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25063761/doug-melvin-new-york-mets-gm-candidate-likely-keep-mickey-callaway-manager

"My feeling is that he probably deserves a chance to do this again," Melvin said during a telephone news conference. "I want to sit down if I get this job and talk extensively with Mickey and see his philosophy and that. But I think he does probably deserve a chance because he's been a good baseball guy."

I'm fine with that .... I guess. 

Here is what concerns me:

Now 66, Melvin was general manager of Texas from 1994 to 2001 and of Milwaukee from 2002 to '15. He shifted to an adviser's role in August 2015 as the Brewers were headed to a 64-98 record, saying then: "The job has grown to the point that it's probably suited to somebody younger than me."

"That's probably how I felt at that particular time," he said Tuesday. "But now that I've taken a little bit of a break from the day-to-day activities, I'm energized and excited at the challenges."

What I've heard is that retaining the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is a pre-condition of employment...and a bunch of candidates have said thanks but no thanks. 

I'm not totally against Calloway, have to admit that the team played hard second half and the starting pitching still looks like it can be formidable. 

But when you bring in a new GM, it's up to him whether to retain the manager or not. 

9 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

What I've heard is that retaining the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is a pre-condition of employment...and a bunch of candidates have said thanks but no thanks. 

I'm not totally against Calloway, have to admit that the team played hard second half and the starting pitching still looks like it can be formidable. 

But when you bring in a new GM, it's up to him whether to retain the manager or not. 

Well this changed quickly.  Melvin is out of the running.  Now between Bloom and Van Wagenen. 

Bloom is 35-years-old with a solid resume.  I like the age and the experience.

The other guy is an agent who represents Jake, Thor and Ces.  I hope he does not get the job.

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/doug-melvin-out-for-mets-gm-role-with-race-down-to-chaim-bloom-and-brodie-van-wagenen/299708172

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Well this changed quickly.  Melvin is out of the running.  Now between Bloom and Van Wagenen. 

Bloom is 35-years-old with a solid resume.  I like the age and the experience.

The other guy is an agent who represents Jake, Thor and Ces.  I hope he does not get the job.

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/doug-melvin-out-for-mets-gm-role-with-race-down-to-chaim-bloom-and-brodie-van-wagenen/299708172

Wow...this is news to me,his age must have been a real concern....as of Wednesday it sounded like he was a lock.I'm not happy.

4 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Wow...this is news to me,his age must have been a real concern....as of Wednesday it sounded like he was a lock.I'm not happy.

I actually am happy.  The guy stepped down from a GM role three years ago because HE thought he was too old.

I want some young blood.  Having a guy in his 30s take this job sounds fantastic to me.

50 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I actually am happy.  The guy stepped down from a GM role three years ago because HE thought he was too old.

I want some young blood.  Having a guy in his 30s take this job sounds fantastic to me.

I know very little about AL baseball...but I do know Tampa doesn't spend money.

18 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Van Wagenen appears to be the hire per Martino.No announcement until after the WS is over.

I'll reserve judgment for when I find out more details, but on the surface, this makes little sense to me.

If it’s Van Wagenen I really don’t like the move.  I suppose you can argue it can work by thinking out of the box for the position... if so I hope so.  

What it signals more to me are the Wilson’s are the real bosses who have say in everything.  This Van Wagenen guy will just be a puppet.  It’s like the manager position, they will never go for anyone with a Bobby V type personality.  

On 10/29/2018 at 11:03 AM, Misterbluesky said:

Cespedes had his second heel cleaned up last friday.Datline: jogging/running will begin in March.IMO,he should be doing his light workouts with the team in PSL and not at some private gym.

Cool;  he'll be ready to start thinking about getting in shape by late May.   Probably have his timing back by August.

6 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Cool;  he'll be ready to start thinking about getting in shape by late May.   Probably have his timing back by August.

And by early September, he'll pull a hammy.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Sorry....Bills are rubbing off on my Mets.

Baseball is the only sport where I am genuinely optimistic at the start of each season.

I'm always optimistic about the Mets at the start of the season, too.

• Like (+1) 1

So Callaway raised some questions about his future with the organization a few months ago....now,he's already into VW's ear since we have interest in both Miller and Chisenhall.Mick made sure Wheeler didn't leave at the deadline and now he's trying to pull in former Indians....I doubt he was ever in danger of losing his job?

1 hour ago, Misterbluesky said:

Very,very solid move to get Riggleman in the dugout with Mick...on the flipside , keeping DiSarcina (3rd base) is a real head scratcher...almost as crazy as promoting Tebow to Syracuse p.s.- I hope VW offers Boar a one year minor league deal .

Riggleman definitely wouldn't hurt.  The Tebow thing is an obvious money making exercise.  At least our new agent ... I mean GM .... was more transparent about that.

So I heard today Mike Francesa tell a story Omar Minaya set next to Bernie Madolf on the Mets plane on the way to the season opener in Japan.  I think it was 2000.  Omar had no idea who he was at the time.  First I heard of that.  

Reminded me of one funny story from that opener in Japan.  I was in high school and turned on the radio in the morning to follow the game.  The stadium was dead silent and Turk was pitching.  Wendell must have missed his location on the pitch because a loud four letter f word rang right through the broadcast! Bob Murphy was laughing 

• Like (+1) 1

A short while ago after washing the dishes, I'm walking by the TV on the way to taking the garbage out and I see Amed Rosario getting high fives in the dugout. He had just hit a HR.

Apparently there's a Japan All Star Series going on. Nice surprise, I was oblivious to this series/tour but my boys found it on TV.  Looks like a lot of young major league talent...anchored by Yadier Molina. I know he put the last nail in the coffin in us way back when, but I have the utmost respect for him.

Next at bat Amed lined one up the middle.

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

A short while ago after washing the dishes, I'm walking by the TV on the way to taking the garbage out and I see Amed Rosario getting high fives in the dugout. He had just hit a HR.

Apparently there's a Japan All Star Series going on. Nice surprise, I was oblivious to this series/tour but my boys found it on TV.  Looks like a lot of young major league talent...anchored by Yadier Molina. I know he put the last nail in the coffin in us way back when, but I have the utmost respect for him.

I watched some of the Fall Stars game last Saturday night,Alonso looked a bit "porky"....he put some sloppy weight on since his season ended in Vegas.I sure hope he has some discipline in him over the holidays.

10 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

I watched some of the Fall Stars game last Saturday night,Alonso looked a bit "porky"....he put some sloppy weight on since his season ended in Vegas.I sure hope he has some discipline in him over the holidays.

Dom Smith part II? Hopefully not. 

I try to stay positive - remarkably the  Bills have been a  bigger test than the Mets this year - so I'll go with being happy that Amed and Alonso are playing right now. Spending time with Yadier has to be a good influence on Amed.

13 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Molina is Chipper 2.0 ... ultimate Mets killer.  Like Chipper .. I cannot stand him (in a playful, sports fan kind of way - not true hatred) .. but I have a TON of respect for both of them.

• Like (+1) 1

WHO WAS WORSE?

• Bills: Nathan Peterman {2017-2018 / 13 INTs through 133 pass attempts}
  • Mets: Anthony Young {1991-1993 / record 27 straight losses}

My choice: AY was one of the unluckiest MLB players in history. His career ended with a 3.89 ERA -- far more respectable than his 15-48 record. IMO, he was a much better pitcher than Peterman is a QB. Agree? Disagree? ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Golden Goat said:

WHO WAS WORSE?

My choice: AY was one of the unluckiest MLB players in history. His career ended with a 3.89 ERA -- far more respectable than his 15-48 record. IMO, he was a much better pitcher than Peterman is a QB. Agree? Disagree? ?

Peterman no doubt was worse.  There was a reason Young never got demoted, he really wasn’t all that bad.  RIP Anthony 

Edited by Another Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Golden Goat said:

WHO WAS WORSE?

8 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Peterman no doubt was worse.  There was a reason Young never got demoted, he really wasn’t all that bad.  RIP Anthony 

I agree .... Peterman was DEFINITELY worse.  And yes, RIP, AY.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Golden Goat said:

WHO WAS WORSE?

13 hours ago, Another Fan said:

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I agree .... Peterman was DEFINITELY worse.  And yes, RIP, AY.

I'll keep it unanimous and add that I don't remember Mets fans ever getting down on AY even though it was wildly frustrating.

• Like (+1) 1