• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

which makes seeing Lake Erie on fire not much of a surprise back in '69

toleito can't even get clean water for itself

The mistake by the lake is coming back finally, but still a **** hole

And Detroit should be sold to Canada

were you going for toileto? either way that's funny. to the good people of Toledo ......

That's one refugee even Canada doesn't want.

there are no good people in toileto Edited by Boyst62

When we left Buffalo in 1976 and moved to Halifax Nova Scotia, I was amazed to find that at night I could pick up WKBW AM radio (1520) from Buffalo up in Halifax. They played a slightly higher caliber top 40 than the Canadian stations did, but certainly nothing like Q FM 97.

When we left Buffalo in 1976 and moved to Halifax Nova Scotia, I was amazed to find that at night I could pick up WKBW AM radio (1520) from Buffalo up in Halifax. They played a slightly higher caliber top 40 than the Canadian stations did, but certainly nothing like Q FM 97.

I used to get my skates sharpened religiously at a specific shop in Boston. Every time I was there, typically wearing a Sabres hat, the owner would tell me the same story. It was probably around the same time frame as what you just said. When he was in the Coast Guard, all of the guys would listen to WKBW while they were out in the Atlantic. It was pretty much the best signal they got out there. So he had fond memories of a bunch of their staff during that time.

Yeah but Lake Erie burning sound so much cooler

Mercury poisoning in fish at the Irondequoit Bay outlet petty much ended my fishing days as a youth back in 69.

Great Lakes residence times:

Erie=2.6 years

Ontario=6 years

Huron=22 years

Michigan=99 years

Superior=191 years

So since 1969, Lake Ontario cycled itself 8 times. Meaning every drop of water in the lake leaves after 6 years to have all new water in it. That helps with pollutants if the lake has been filtered 8 times in 48 years.

Hg is especially the highest in fish that eat other fish, like salmon that eat alewives. Don't eat those kinds of fish. ;-)

Sorry to get sidetracked from the FM distance theme.

back in the summer of '69?

Unfortunately I was a bit too young for a trip to Woodstock

I was only 11 almost 12 then, a time when other things started to get a bit more important than fishing with my gramps.

Free Love was still rampant in the mid 70's.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

He lives near Fremont Michigan which is almost directly across Lake Michigan from Green Bay in Michigan. He tells me the other day he was listening to a Top 40 station on 102.5 that came in and was unknown. He kept tuning in and it identifield itself as Star 102.5 from Buffalo. That is pretty far away to get Buffalo dont you guys think. I think that is impressive picking Buffalo up from that far away.

That can happen due to a phenomenon called atmospheric ducting, where layers of moist air duct FM signals hundreds, and sometimes thousands of miles. I went to Syracuse in 1980. There was a heat wave that summer in the South and I woke up to a New Orleans station on my stereo. As the day went on stations from Texas started coming in, then later Oklahoma and Kansas. It was like a huge slow moving vacuum cleaner. By sundown it was over. That's the most extreme example I ever experienced.

Unfortunately I was a bit too young for a trip to Woodstock

I was only 11 almost 12 then, a time when other things started to get a bit more important than fishing with my gramps.

Free Love was still rampant in the mid 70's.

did you have a band and try real hard?

did you have a band and try real hard?

I'm tone deaf.

The only music I could play was chops sticks and Dixie on the family organ.

I have 3 or 4 friends that tried. They all sucked.

The closest to a band member - one of my neighbors was Lou Grammatico's grandmother.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

I'm tone deaf. I have 3 or 4 friends that tried.

the only music I could play was chops sticks and Dixie on the family organ.

one of my neighbors was Lou Grammatico's grandmother.

How big was the family organ?

In the 60's there was a story of picking up Houston TV in Western NY during the early morning hours. This was in the 3 channel days and the picture was very snowy.

Great Lakes residence times:

Erie=2.6 years
Ontario=6 years
Huron=22 years
Michigan=99 years
Superior=191 years

So since 1969, Lake Ontario cycled itself 8 times. Meaning every drop of water in the lake leaves after 6 years to have all new water in it. That helps with pollutants if the lake has been filtered 8 times in 48 years.

Hg is especially the highest in fish that eat other fish, like salmon that eat alewives. Don't eat those kinds of fish. ;-)

Sorry to get sidetracked from the FM distance theme.

I bet the zebra mussels in the Great Lakes cycle the water faster than any of those numbers.