Andy Benoit Analyzes what McDermott's Scheme sez about draft

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/29/nfl-new-head-coaches-sean-mcvay-kyle-shanahan-sean-mcdermott-anthony-lynn-vance-joseph-doug-marrone

It's an article analyzing what the six new head coaches do scheme-wise, based on Benoit's extensive film study. He then uses that to predict what those coaches might be likely to do in their first drafts.

Here's the section on McDermott:

"By deciding to let cornerback Stephon Gilmore walk in free agency, the longtime defensive assistant under the late Jim Johnson in Philadelphia and the highly respected Ron Rivera in Carolina has already told you how he views the game. Gilmore is a lanky, athletic man-to-man defender. Most defenses would kill for a corner like him. The Bills were one of those defenses under Rex Ryan, who preferred one-on-one coverage outside and overloaded pressure designs up front. But McDermott plays a lot more zone. On early downs, it’s eight in the box with a safety patrolling centerfield. On passing downs, it’s seven in the box, maybe with an inside blitz look, and two safeties back deep. This approach naturally protects corners; almost always, they have help from a safety over the top or from a linebacker underneath. And so instead of spending money on a pricey cornerback you can spend it on linebackers and pass rushers. McDermott’s old team, the Panthers, did exactly that by letting Josh Norman leave in free agency, signing Thomas Davis and Luke Kuechly to long-term contracts, and consistently selecting defensive linemen early in the draft. The Bills will follow this model. Almost any position in their front seven can be upgraded."

The whole article is pretty good, but the Anthony Lynn and Doug Marrone sections also have some Bills relevance.

He is spot on. I have said this for years, the way to beat Brady has been shown to us. FAST LINEBACKERS! Our DL is strong, but Kyles replacement needs to be found sooner than later. McDermott's system is proven to be a damn good one, Let him fill the roster as he sees fit.

Jonathan Meeks appears to have completely blown his assignment on that play. But let's blame Gilmore for a 1-second "look" on tv.

Yep. The Gilmore haters on the one hand say "he is too placid and doesn't seem to care" and then when he turns around and screams at a player who blew and assignment in a spectacular way resulting in a touchdown he is "seeking to avoid accountability".

He couldn't win here. He was a very, very good player for the Bills at his best he was borderline elite.... I expect him to get the props and respect he deserves in New England. He will be seen as one of the premier corners in the league next season.

He doesn't like to use high picks on corners based on his tenures elsewhere, granted he probably didn't have final say, but I read that it was not his philosophy as well and this seems to confirm that.

That is why I had it narrowed down to Davis or Foster or QB depending on how they view the QB prospects.

True but our new scheme has corners getting a lot of help from safeties over the top and there may be a good one there at 10.

True but our new scheme has corners getting a lot of help from safeties over the top and there may be a good one there at 10.

I cant remember a safety being taken in the top 10 that has ever lived up to the hype

Not sure Foster will be there or fits.

If Allen slips Yes, but who are the next best DL ?

Where wouldn't Foster fit? I could see the bengals taking him in front of us, which would follow the trend of Willis and Kuechley being taken right in front of us.....

Eric Berry, Sean Taylor

Sean Taylor didn't last that long (RIP) and Eric Berry is good but I personally don't think a safety warrants a top 10 pick. Its just not a high value position.

And to add on, this draft is supposedly deep at DB so why not wait and see what we can get later. Plus we just signed two safeties which lessens a need at that spot. I just don't see us taking one at 10, but I could be wrong of course

Edited by Bray Wyatt

Yep. The Gilmore haters on the one hand say "he is too placid and doesn't seem to care" and then when he turns around and screams at a player who blew and assignment in a spectacular way resulting in a touchdown he is "seeking to avoid accountability".

He couldn't win here. He was a very, very good player for the Bills at his best he was borderline elite.... I expect him to get the props and respect he deserves in New England. He will be seen as one of the premier corners in the league next season.

You deserve a round of applause. Spot on.

Just went back to 2002 and here are the safeties selected in the top 10:

Roy Williams

Sean Taylor

Michael Huff

Donte Whitner (ugh)

Laron Landry

Eric Berry

So in the last 15 years there have been 6 safeties in taken in the top 10, and the only real star (lived up to draft spot) I would argue is Berry.

With Norman gone the Panthers pass defense collapsed., they suffyall season long looking for some good corner play.

And Norman was taken in the 5th round, so McD didn't use a high pick on acquiring him FWIW

Edited by Bray Wyatt

This article, coupled with McD saying the #2 WR is already on the roster makes me think they will go defensive front 7 with their first pick.

LOL Oh I remembered him, but you really aren't suggesting he was worth the 8th overall are you?

Ha not by any means. I think i just misread the original quote. I thought he was saying that safeties in the top 10 always lived up to the bill... just woke up / drank too much last night lol.

This article, coupled with McD saying the #2 WR is already on the roster makes me think they will go defensive front 7 with their first pick.

Ha not by any means. I think i just misread the original quote. I thought he was saying that safeties in the top 10 always lived up to the bill... just woke up / drank too much last night lol.

Lol no worries, I was going to say you would probably have been the first bills fan to ever make that argument :thumbsup:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/29/nfl-new-head-coaches-sean-mcvay-kyle-shanahan-sean-mcdermott-anthony-lynn-vance-joseph-doug-marrone

It's an article analyzing what the six new head coaches do scheme-wise, based on Benoit's extensive film study. He then uses that to predict what those coaches might be likely to do in their first drafts.

Here's the section on McDermott:

"By deciding to let cornerback Stephon Gilmore walk in free agency, the longtime defensive assistant under the late Jim Johnson in Philadelphia and the highly respected Ron Rivera in Carolina has already told you how he views the game. Gilmore is a lanky, athletic man-to-man defender. Most defenses would kill for a corner like him. The Bills were one of those defenses under Rex Ryan, who preferred one-on-one coverage outside and overloaded pressure designs up front. But McDermott plays a lot more zone. On early downs, it’s eight in the box with a safety patrolling centerfield. On passing downs, it’s seven in the box, maybe with an inside blitz look, and two safeties back deep. This approach naturally protects corners; almost always, they have help from a safety over the top or from a linebacker underneath. And so instead of spending money on a pricey cornerback you can spend it on linebackers and pass rushers. McDermott’s old team, the Panthers, did exactly that by letting Josh Norman leave in free agency, signing Thomas Davis and Luke Kuechly to long-term contracts, and consistently selecting defensive linemen early in the draft. The Bills will follow this model. Almost any position in their front seven can be upgraded."

The whole article is pretty good, but the Anthony Lynn and Doug Marrone sections also have some Bills relevance.

Many have been saying this since the day McDermott was hired. This defense is about being strong in the Front 7 and not in the secondary.

On the last defense McDermott coached, the team had no problem letting their Pro Bowl cornerback (Josh Norman) walk in Free Agency. And even after Stephon Gilmore signed elsewhere, there have been very few reports about Buffalo going after cornerbacks on the market. We have heard about them talking to tight ends, offensive tackles and linebackers (in addition to the positions we already signed). But almost no corners. The only cornerback prospect that I've heard visiting is Nate Hairston from Temple, who is considered a late-round pick.

In contrast, the entire Carolina defense was built around linebackers. Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis are the heart and strength of that team. It's hard to see McDermott moving away from the system that found him his best NFL success. And regardless of how big a Bills homer you are, it's hard to imagine that he's satisfied with Reggie Ragland (coming off IR), Preston Brown and Lorenzo Alexander as our guys to man those roles.

I have a hard time believing the Bills aren't looking hard at one of the top LBs in this draft.

Do you know what the coverage call was that play?

Nope, but if you claim to be a lockdown man-on-man corner, why get burned by Hogan who isn't even a speedster? Is that the only time he has been burned? How many times has Gilmore made a play at the end of the game to help us win like othe corners have, including Sherm, Talib, or Patrick Peterson. Even Malcom Butler is more clutch than Gilmore imo and a better tackler. Safety help is help, nothing more nothing less.