Next NFL Move: going international?

I think with dance card full they need to look at expansion to get more money into NFL. Next the league goes to 36 teams? Oakland can be like Baltimore, Houston and Cleveland and tell they want an expansion team. There is enough deep pocketed owners for 4 more teams if they can redo divisions.

I have always felt London will come with expansion. I am somewhat like Blokes in that it certainly wouldn't interrupt my Bills fandom if there was a London team but given that I am based in London I would probably go a couple of times a year, especially if the games are at Spurs because that is only up the road from me.

Whether the league really has enough talent to go to 36 teams I am not sure but I don't think it wiĺl stop then trying it.

wait till you see the,,,,, MEXICO CITY CHARGERS, the LONDON JAGS, ..TOKYO RAMS, MADRID BUCCANEERS,or FRANKFORT TITANS. ? the future for international football?

The NFL wants to be an international sport eventually. There is no doubt about that. I think they have to be careful and grow slowly though. Just sticking teams into countries with no infrastructure doesn't seem wise. They have been making some progress with the grass routes in the UK. The number of University American Football teams over here has skyrocketed in the past 10 years since the International Series. There has been increased participation numbers in adult leagues too.... but what they really have to do is get these countries to the point where they have their own American Football academies that could play (initially in exhibitions) against US college teams because whilst the UK has a small collection of NFL players currently - Jay Ajayi being the most obvious - most of them grew up in the American system from a young age. If a UK academy team played a pre-season exhibition against a division II college team or something it would give college recruiters the opportunity to evaluate those British players and try to bring them into the fold. It can only truly become a global game once the rest of the world starts producing some players on a semi consistent basis. Otherwise all expansion does is dilute the product and all internationalisation does is put franchises into places without the long term infrastructure to support them.

First, we need to stop publicly funding anything NFL and NBA, etc unless we reap rewards and maintain ownership of the entity.

Second, the NFL is going to become a joke if they don't watch it

Third, if this happened you'd need an entire conference on that awful continent of Europe,or Asia, Africa or whatever 3rd world nation Detroit is a part of... teams would have to tour that region. Teams would have to play their two road games there back to back. Passports, taxes, terrorism from the Arabs, etc would be a factor. I'm sure the rear stains of the EU would love to tax the hell out of an american athlete. And the terrorists would love to blow us up. International play is just a Pipedream right now. And as soon as we are hostile with France they'll put up a ban or restrict movement similar to what happens on the international wrestling front all of the time.

Count me out. No thanks. MAGA

The Chargers will move to London. LA doesn't want them, and moving them to London gives them a way out that mess that doesn't involve them going back to San Diego begging. The new White Hart Lane stadium was specifically designed to host NFL games

That already happened after their shifty owner's LA stadium plan went bust.

I think with dance card full they need to look at expansion to get more money into NFL. Next the league goes to 36 teams? Oakland can be like Baltimore, Houston and Cleveland and tell they want an expansion team. There is enough deep pocketed owners for 4 more teams if they can redo divisions.

There aren't enough quarterbacks to go around now so expansion is a bad idea but that hasn't stopped them in the past. And can you imagine an Oakland team not called the Raiders? Bad mojo

The logistics of a London team would be hell.

There is no way the home team would travel 2 times a month.

Remember 99% of the teams that went to London got a BYE week following the game IIRC, only the Colts rejected that week for a BYE.

To eliminate early BYE weeks they would have to play a month in the US, 2 months in London and finish up with a month in December to end the season.

The logistics of a London team would be hell.

There is no way the home team would travel 2 times a month.

Remember 99% of the teams that went to London got a BYE week following the game IIRC, only the Colts rejected that week for a BYE.

To eliminate early BYE weeks they would have to play a month in the US, 2 months in London and finish up with a month in December to end the season.

that's why it would likely be a league realignment. The jag, jets, patriots and other team with a major airport would be in the league with the London team. They'd not want connecting flights or a drive. Oddly, the entire south east coast is NFC until you get to nasty Florida.

Maybe move jags to london - move bills from the east to a rust belt division Pitt, Cleveland, Tennessee?/cinci?

This is just a fish too big of obstacle

The NFL wants to be an international sport eventually. There is no doubt about that. I think they have to be careful and grow slowly though. Just sticking teams into countries with no infrastructure doesn't seem wise. They have been making some progress with the grass routes in the UK. The number of University American Football teams over here has skyrocketed in the past 10 years since the International Series. There has been increased participation numbers in adult leagues too.... but what they really have to do is get these countries to the point where they have their own American Football academies that could play (initially in exhibitions) against US college teams because whilst the UK has a small collection of NFL players currently - Jay Ajayi being the most obvious - most of them grew up in the American system from a young age. If a UK academy team played a pre-season exhibition against a division II college team or something it would give college recruiters the opportunity to evaluate those British players and try to bring them into the fold. It can only truly become a global game once the rest of the world starts producing some players on a semi consistent basis. Otherwise all expansion does is dilute the product and all internationalisation does is put franchises into places without the long term infrastructure to support them.

....not to mention finding 53 per team willing to live abroad and enduring the travel.......different taxing structure(s) for countries....NFL Eurpoe was a good idea for development, but it certainly had its downsides....not sure how lucrative it would be if you go back to this 2005 stat....sure it was 12 years ago, but I don't think they had the lucrative TV revenue stream nor corporate sponsors like stateside and I don't know if that would be possible at a similar level abroad....

"In 2005 the total attendance at the thirty games was 568,935, and the average attendance of 18,965 was the highest since 1992"

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy