Following AHCA defeat, Trump signals new openness to Dems

The Donald says he needs and wants to work with the Dems, then the following days axes more of Obama's actions.

Dear Donald. Lesson 1 in How to make friends ... Don't give them any (more) reasons to dislike you.

Not a Trump supporter, but the Dems don't need any reasons to dislike him. They've made it clear how little they think of him or how little they wish to work with him. Literally anything he does, like anything 44 did, will get hostility from the other side.

Hyper-partisanship is holding this country back and has been for going on 30 years.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Doesn't the Freedom Caucus = Tea Party

Yeah. I was drawing a blank for the extreme side of the right in Congress so I just went with Tea Party. I really don't see a good solution to this health care crisis. Democrats don't want to work with Republicans on health care unless it's improving the ACA. Republicans have been campaigning for seven years to repeal and replace ACA. Dems (like the GOP) will pry just obstruct, obstruct, obstruct because it worked great for the GOP during the Obama years. If Republicans let the ACA collapse I think they'll be ridiculed for not working with the Dems to improve it. If the Republicans do repeal and replace with a more free market plan like we had before, they'll be throwing millions off health care which they will suffer major political blow back in the '18 and '20 election like new health care did for the Dems did in the '10, '12 (minus president), '14, and '16 elections. It seems the people more pissed off and suffering show up and vote more. Also, Trump promised in his campaign not to cut medicaid, medicare, and social security. Dems will constantly bring that up in the Senate floor fight.

Maybe just have Bernie pass his universal health care plan so both parties can point the finger at him when people start to realize the numerous problems associated with UHC.

Yeah. I was drawing a blank for the extreme side of the right in Congress so I just went with Tea Party. I really don't see a good solution to this health care crisis. Democrats don't want to work with Republicans on health care unless it's improving the ACA. Republicans have been campaigning for seven years to repeal and replace ACA. Dems (like the GOP) will pry just obstruct, obstruct, obstruct because it worked great for the GOP during the Obama years. If Republicans let the ACA collapse I think they'll be ridiculed for not working with the Dems to improve it. If the Republicans do repeal and replace with a more free market plan like we had before, they'll be throwing millions off health care which they will suffer major political blow back in the '18 and '20 election like new health care did for the Dems did in the '10, '12 (minus president), '14, and '16 elections. It seems the people more pissed off and suffering show up and vote more. Also, Trump promised in his campaign not to cut medicaid, medicare, and social security. Dems will constantly bring that up in the Senate floor fight.

Maybe just have Bernie pass his universal health care plan so both parties can point the finger at him when people start to realize the numerous problems associated with UHC.

Passing a purely free market bill will never be politically palatable for the American people moving forward. If there is one thing that Obama did achieve with Obamacare, it's that he won the public argument in that expanded coverage has got to be a key tenant to any healthcare plan moving forward. On the other hand, UHC has been fraught with inefficiencies and national budget busting economies throughout the globe. If both parties could actually do what is in the best interest of the American public, there is a working marriage and partnership between government and the private sector. Yes, Obamacare does that to a degree, but there are plenty of market based reforms and medical pricing and transparency measures that could be made that could lower premiums, not include mandated coverages and expand coverage even more so than the ACA.

Medicare for All: Leaving No One Behind

Creating a single, public insurance system will go a long way towards getting health care spending under control. The United States has thousands of different health insurance plans, all of which set different reimbursement rates across different networks for providers and procedures resulting in high administrative costs.

This makes the most sense to me. Then have Pell grants to pay for medical school, and nursing to offset less pay under medicare charges. jmo I know it would never happen.

Creating a single, public insurance system will go a long way towards getting health care spending under control. The United States has thousands of different health insurance plans, all of which set different reimbursement rates across different networks for providers and procedures resulting in high administrative costs.
This makes the most sense to me. Then have Pell grants to pay for medical school, and nursing to offset less pay under medicare charges. jmo I know it would never happen.

Please show me the instance where administrative costs in the public sector were a magnitude lower than in the private sector

Please show me the instance where administrative costs in the public sector were a magnitude lower than in the private sector

All Medicare patients being over 65 would mean a lot more medical services to administer then private younger age patients.

I would think the combined young and old would bring that cost down , again jmo , nothing more

All Medicare patients being over 65 would mean a lot more medical services to administer then private younger age patients.

I would think the combined young and old would bring that cost down , again jmo , nothing more

Having spent the last year of my career incarcerated in a Medicare project...I assure you, it wouldn't.

Not a Trump supporter, but the Dems don't need any reasons to dislike him. They've made it clear how little they think of him or how little they wish to work with him. Literally anything he does, like anything 44 did, will get hostility from the other side.

Hyper-partisanship is holding this country back and has been for going on 30 years.

That shoe fits both sides of the isle. That is why I do not associate myself with either hypocritical party.

Me me me. My way or the highway.

Not trying to be argumentative as I hear this place is pretty rough.

Wasn't there a Singer Payer an option when the AHCA was being planned out but that got shot down?

Never said it didn't.

easy now. I was just stating my pov.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Having spent the last year of my career incarcerated in a Medicare project...I assure you, it wouldn't.

Since most 1st world countries have universal health care , could we learn from there experience and eliminate the mistakes ?

Wasn't there a Singer Payer an option when the AHCA was being planned out but that got shot down?

Universal health goes back a long way , cost is always a problem . Your pov is always welcome

https://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2009/09/03/18620563.php

Rock a bye baby, don't you get sick

Your mom and daddy will go broke real quick

Grandpa and Grandma wish it weren't true

But big rich insurers don't care about you

Rock a bye tax cuts helping the rich

You're out of luck if your kid should get sick

Health care insurers rack in the cash

but if you are poor they will treat you like trash

Rock a bye profits that's what they love

But sick kids and grandparents merit a shove

Everyone else is in danger it's true

Cuz big rich insurers don't care about you

Better care for a lot less , hmm

Health Care Around the World: Taiwan & Its ‘World’s Best’ Medical System
On March 1, 2015 Taiwan marked the 20th anniversary of its government-run single-payer National Health Insurance (NHI), a universal health coverage scheme that provides comprehensive health insurance
Total health spending in Taiwan in 2013 was 6.63 percent of Taiwan’s GDP,
In terms of cost-effectiveness, Taiwan’s system outperforms the U.S. system, which spends more than 17 percent of U.S. GDP but, before the ACA was passed in 2010, left some 50 million, or 16 percent of Americans uninsured.

Better care for a lot less , hmm

Health Care Around the World: Taiwan & Its ‘World’s Best’ Medical System
On March 1, 2015 Taiwan marked the 20th anniversary of its government-run single-payer National Health Insurance (NHI), a universal health coverage scheme that provides comprehensive health insurance
Total health spending in Taiwan in 2013 was 6.63 percent of Taiwan’s GDP,
In terms of cost-effectiveness, Taiwan’s system outperforms the U.S. system, which spends more than 17 percent of U.S. GDP but, before the ACA was passed in 2010, left some 50 million, or 16 percent of Americans uninsured.

Care to compare the incidents of heart disease in Taiwan vs US? Which is the symptom & which is the cause of higher health spending in the US?

It’s remarkable how low America places in health care efficiency: among the 48 countries included in the Bloomberg study, the U.S. ranks 46th, outpacing just Serbia and Brazil. Once that sinks in, try this one on for size: the U.S. ranks worse than China, Algeria, and Iran.

The infographic below is based on a recent Bloomberg ranking of the most efficient countries for health care, and highlights enormous gap between the soaring cost of treatment in the U.S. and its quality and effectiveness. To paraphrase Ricky Ricardo, the American health care system has a lot of ‘splainin’ to do.

Care to compare the incidents of heart disease in Taiwan vs US? Which is the symptom & which is the cause of higher health spending in the US?

Please - Give it up - The US has the most expensive HC with some of the lowest efficacy on money spent - most everyone does it better...

It’s remarkable how low America places in health care efficiency: among the 48 countries included in the Bloomberg study, the U.S. ranks 46th, outpacing just Serbia and Brazil. Once that sinks in, try this one on for size: the U.S. ranks worse than China, Algeria, and Iran.
The infographic below is based on a recent Bloomberg ranking of the most efficient countries for health care, and highlights enormous gap between the soaring cost of treatment in the U.S. and its quality and effectiveness. To paraphrase Ricky Ricardo, the American health care system has a lot of ‘splainin’ to do.

Cue up the locals to try to disregard the facts.....3....2....1....

Edited by baskin

Please - Give it up - The US has the most expensive HC with some of the lowest efficacy on money spent - most everyone does it better...

Cue up the locals to try to disregard the facts.....3....2....1....

Is this where you throw up the standard "2% Administrative Cost" trope? Please show me any enterprise where General & Administrative Expenses are only 2% of revenues? (Other than prison labor, I suppose)

Its remarkable how low America places in health care efficiency: among the 48 countries included in the Bloomberg study, the U.S. ranks 46th, outpacing just Serbia and Brazil. Once that sinks in, try this one on for size: the U.S. ranks worse than China, Algeria, and Iran.

The infographic below is based on a recent Bloomberg ranking of the most efficient countries for health care, and highlights enormous gap between the soaring cost of treatment in the U.S. and its quality and effectiveness. To paraphrase Ricky Ricardo, the American health care system has a lot of splainin to do.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/29/most-efficient-healthcare_n_3825477.html

Great post Alf! Every one needs to read this to truly realize we need to be better in the healthcare department.