Potential Trade Down Partners

We aren't a great passing team so we shouldn't invest in upgrading the weapons? I've never (and will never) understand that logic. You have a GLARING hole at the #2 pass catcher. I specifically worded it that way because I think OJ Howard is certainly a possibility. This team has big holes in the secondary as well. I can't see the 1st pick invested anywhere else. It should be ideal in this draft too because there are a handful of players in those areas that are valued right around pick 10.

I understand what your saying Kirby about our WR deficiency but it's not that we don't have a need, it's that our offensive design is not on the passing game do to TT limitations and so we really don't need a WR because we don't plan on using them that much.

I'm betting we go defense no matter what position. I was thinking CB or S but after reading about how they didn't put a high premium on the secondary in Carolina I think we go DL or LB.

if we're serious about any of the QB prospects we can't trade below the Browns and Cards

we aren't serious about these QBs

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dig the trade down idea but most teams don't want to trade up.

Unless it's for a qb or you have a franchise, trading up in the first round is extremely stupid. The draft is a crapshoot so get as many picks as possibly and hope to get lucky.

The fact is that trades are extremely common in the draft. Whether or not it is stupid or not is not the issue. There were over 20 trades in the last year's draft. 5 were in the first round, 2 were for QBs in the first round. They are common and will be common yet again this year, smart or stupid.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2016-nfl-draft-trade-tracker/

Edited by simpleman

Great post

Though I think the reason for trading other than the obvious extra high draft pick you get is because the players you wanted all got taken

Now none of us have any clue who these players are

My initial guess is Adams, Lattimore, Davis, Williams, Davis, Hooker, and the surprising dropping Allen, and say they all get picked

And our Bills decide they don't want a QB, RB, Howard, or Foster

You look for that partner trade down

Maybe you even had a tent deal down in advance

However IMO if any of the above slip to #10 its because lots of QB's got taken

Then I would not trade out, I'd grab Hooker or Lattimore cos you're getting a 3-5 player at #10

Geez, I think Allen is a #3-#4, so if he drops to 10, you take him, its not outta left field, he'll eventually replace Kyle

But hey that's just me...

jc

I agree with this in general. I'm staying put and turning in the card if someone like Hooker, Adams, Davis or Allen falls to 10. My only concern would be if something is significantly medically wrong with Allen. I think the Bills might trade out if it's Lattimore that falls though. As much as I like him, he's got injury concerns of his own and I doubt that CBs are all that highly valued in McD's defense. It's a deep CB draft too. A guy who can play bail in Cover 3 can be found later.

I am an advocate for trading down, SEVERAL TIMES, but the problem is finding trade partners.

We shall see.

Several times? You must really like the idea of watching other teams take potential Pro Bowl/All Pro talent, while the Bills are left with pathetic table scraps who will make the roster as backups, at best.

Edited by Rodrigo Borgia

I understand what your saying Kirby about our WR deficiency but it's not that we don't have a need, it's that our offensive design is not on the passing game do to TT limitations and so we really don't need a WR because we don't plan on using them that much.

I'm betting we go defense no matter what position. I was thinking CB or S but after reading about how they didn't put a high premium on the secondary in Carolina I think we go DL or LB.

I think that can be true but when I look at Dennison's offense in Denver he had a 1st round pick (Thomas), a 2nd round pick (Latimer) and a high priced free agent (Sanders). They did this with a broken down Peyton Manning and Trevor Siemian at QB. They put an emphasis on the position. FWIW, I am starting to think that Howard may be the target because he checks multiple boxes. He would instantly be your 2nd pass catching option, a scheme mismatch, and elite in the running game. Without oversimplifying it he would just flat out help the offense.

The secondary seems to have the biggest holes to me. I think that there are 2 starting spots available there now. This draft is loaded at DB and I expect Seymour to take some big steps. If the draft started something like Howard, Budda Baker, and Rasul Douglas it would be great. You would still have a big need at WR 2 and WLB. In this situation, I would trade a 5th to Philly for Kendricks to fill WLB. I would try to sign Anquan Boldin as well on a 1 year deal. That would fill out your roster pretty nicely IMO.

That isn't necessarily my dream scenario but I am just trying to present plausible options to round out the roster.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

The continually trading down idea is interesting but IMO the idea of a trade down is you end up drafting the same player you would at #10 that you can get at #15 or #22, plus you get an extra high pick

For example some mock drafts have Wiliams going between #5-10, and others say he will go #22-30, if our Bills really want him at WR, which I personally love, and he's still there at #10, you think maybe we trade down, still get him at #22, and you get a free 2nd round pick as well, that's pretty tasty

The problem with continually trading down is that you don't get Williams, you have to settle for a lower rated WR, so while you gain multiple picks, you do miss out on some higher quality players

I see Allen is 'dropping' from #3-4 to #12 because of a shoulder situation, not as bad a Shaq, but still disconcerning, but wow, whomever gets him at #12 is getting a top 3 pick alot lower, similar to Sidney Jones, but still a much higher rated prospect

I drool at the idea of Allen and Darius in the middle, and Kyle rotating with Shaq and Hughes on the outside, and Washington as the backup, that's a formidable front 4, with 6 solid players, at least on paper, but I'm good with whomever we take at #10, or in a trade down, which I think is the best case scenario long term for building this team, more high picks the next two years, the better could be in 2018 and 2019

jc

I think that can be true but when I look at Dennison's offense in Denver he had a 1st round pick (Thomas), a 2nd round pick (Latimer) and a high priced free agent (Sanders). They did this with a broken down Peyton Manning and Trevor Siemian at QB. They put an emphasis on the position. FWIW, I am starting to think that Howard may be the target because he checks multiple boxes. He would instantly be your 2nd pass catching option, a scheme mismatch, and elite in the running game. Without oversimplifying it he would just flat out help the offense.

The secondary seems to have the biggest holes to me. I think that there are 2 starting spots available there now. This draft is loaded at DB and I expect Seymour to take some big steps. If the draft started something like Howard, Budda Baker, and Rasul Douglas it would be great. You would still have a big need at WR 2 and WLB. In this situation, I would trade a 5th to Philly for Kendricks to fill WLB. I would try to sign Anquan Boldin as well on a 1 year deal. That would fill out your roster pretty nicely IMO.

That isn't necessarily my dream scenario but I am just trying to present plausible options to round out the roster.

You are right but the Bills we do differently