Changes coming to Bills front office?

Ridiculous article rife with speculation and uninformed opinion. The author really had to strain to come up with something fresh for all 32 teams. In fact, there is little difference among teams when it comes to how their drafts are conducted. I know it doesn't fit your narrative, but regardless of who is present in the draft room, if no consensus is reached, Whaley makes the final call on player selections and trades, which he has done since he first sat in the Kirk chair in '13. All GMs lean on their coaching staffs and scouts from the moment they start constructing their boards. And I don't know of any teams that don't have their owners present in the war room on draft day, too.

You are wrong. Pegula himself denied Whaley has final call when given multiple opportunities.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Link?

Because the article that I posted yesterday in the Shoutbox said that Whaley has control over the 53

Watch the interview. I transcribed the critical parts earlier in the thread. Pegula denies repeatedly Whaley has final say even when reporter tries to help Pegula by reminding him that Whaley is the GM.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Terry-Pegula-Going-to-Work-Harder-Day-by-Day/0a23734d-723f-42c9-a819-296e50fcb575

You are wrong. Pegula himself denied Whaley has final call when given multiple opportunities.

Where did Pegula say that Whaley doesn't have final call in the draft room? Preferably, a consensus is reached among those making the talent evaluations (no Pegula, btw) but in the absence of that, the call goes to Whaley and Whaley alone. Period. It's rare not to have a consensus among GMs, scouts, and coaches at that late juncture though. Although, Whaley drove Marrone from the draft room in '14 when Marrone objected to the Watkins trade.

Where did Pegula say that Whaley doesn't have final call in the draft room? Preferably, a consensus is reached among those making the talent evaluations (no Pegula, btw) but in the absence of that, the call goes to Whaley and Whaley alone. Period. It's rare not to have a consensus among GMs, scouts, and coaches at that late juncture though. Although, Whaley drove Marrone from the draft room in '14 when Marrone objected to the Watkins trade.

Nope. Watch the interview. They ask Pegula repeatedly if Whaley has final call and Pegula denies over and over.

As more and more comes out about this guy, I realize how much we screwed up letting him go.

Imagine a HC not wanting to double down on EJM?

Edited by FireChan

Nope. Watch the interview. They ask Pegula repeatedly if Whaley has final call and Pegula denies over and over.

At this point jeffmagic doesn't care who the "Daddy" is just as long as it is NOT whaley.

At this point jeffmagic doesn't care who the "Daddy" is just as long as it is NOT whaley.

Actually, I prefer Whaley to Terry Pegula or McDermott. But Pegula couldn't say Whaley has final say. Very revealing look into our team. I suspect the Bills will hope that peek behind the curtain will go down the memory hole.

Watch the interview. I transcribed the critical parts earlier in the thread. Pegula denies repeatedly Whaley has final say even when reporter tries to help Pegula by reminding him that Whaley is the GM.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Terry-Pegula-Going-to-Work-Harder-Day-by-Day/0a23734d-723f-42c9-a819-296e50fcb575

Hadn't seen that video. So, from "group decision" you come away with Whaley doesn't have final say? I think you read too much into that. Few things are of as collaborative in nature as the NFL scouting and draft process. It's the very definition of a group effort. In the absence of a "group decision" or "consensus", it's Whaley's call to make as the GM. Just as it's been for GMs for decades, including in Buffalo although the absence of consensus is rare after the thousands of man hours that have gone into the process at that point. Even the great Ozzie Newsome seeks consensus as does Carroll as does Belichick. But if they aren't on board with the majority, they will make the call. And so will Whaley.

Hadn't seen that video. So, from "group decision" you come away with Whaley doesn't have final say? I think you read too much into that. Few things are of as collaborative in nature as the NFL scouting and draft process. It's the very definition of a group effort. In the absence of a "group decision" or "consensus", it's Whaley's call to make as the GM. Just as it's been for GMs for decades, including in Buffalo although the absence of consensus is rare after the thousands of man hours that have gone into the process at that point. Even the great Ozzie Newsome seeks consensus as does Carroll as does Belichick. But if they aren't on board with the majority, they will make the call. And so will Whaley.

Pegula was asked who had final say multiple times. Then he was asked would Whaley break a tie? He never said he would.

Instead, Pegula implied HE would listen to whoever made the best case in the room and break the tie. You really have to see the interview.

Edited by jeffismagic

Yeah, I just watched it for the first time before posting my response above. You are reading too much into those comments. And "over and over" is an exaggeration.

You are really stretching this. Nowhere in the interview did Pegula state Whaley has the final call. To the contrary Pegula stated that if maybe someone feels more strongly about a player you lean that way. That in no way shape or form equates to Whaley having final say so. As much as you want to twist it it is untwistable.

Yeah, I just watched it for the first time before posting my response above. You are reading too much into those comments. And "over and over" is an exaggeration.

Hey, I sent the interview without comment to a friend then called him and asked him in a neutral voice what he thought. He started mentioning, "Wow, this confirms my worst fears. We're in a mess."

Pegula was asked who had final say multiple times. Then he was asked would Whaley break a tie? He never said he would.

The only way I buy into this is if Whaley is let go after the draft. Not before. It's just never the way it's been done unless your GM is a short time employee, imo.

NOBODY; not any of the coaches from McDermott on down, not any of the scouts, not Manos, NOBODY is as intimately familiar with the ENTIRE enormous scope of the year long process involved as Whaley is at the moment.