What's the DeAndre Hopkins situation ?

njbuff

I know the Pats were looking into acquiring him.

I know there are a million factors that say forget about this stupid idea about the Bills getting him. I fully understand that.

However is their a scenario where the Bills can put their hat into Hopkins ring if Houston and him come to an impasse?

Well - both are both going to want paid in the same year. Hopkins is a FA this year and Sammy has a 5th year option. If you trade for Hopkins, you are committing assets toward a player who you need to agree to an extension. If you do this you will pay him a huge deal to sign here. So then what do you do with Sammy in 2019 - let him leave? This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, considering the assets already given up for him as well.

Well - both are both going to want paid in the same year. Hopkins is a FA this year and Sammy has a 5th year option. If you trade for Hopkins, you are committing assets toward a player who you need to agree to an extension. If you do this you will pay him a huge deal to sign here. So then what do you do with Sammy in 2019 - let him leave? This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, considering the assets already given up for him as well.

Yeah. It would only make sense if we traded Sammy for Hopkins straight up. But that would mean the Bills don't believe in Sammy anymore and that just couldn't be true.

if we didn't have clay and mccoy and had a passing qb this would make sense. but we have a lot tied up in clay who i think will have a much better year in 2017 and mccoy is a big part of our offense. i think we have a very good chance to not need a huge #2 in a traditional role.

if we didn't have clay and mccoy and had a passing qb this would make sense. but we have a lot tied up in clay who i think will have a much better year in 2017 and mccoy is a big part of our offense. i think we have a very good chance to not need a huge #2 in a traditional role.

I've been thinking the same, I don't get the obsession with overloading on pass catchers when we're likely to have the lowest pass play % in the league. Even when we call passes the QB runs a lot. Its a waste of resources, the Bills have to win or lose with run game and defense.

I've been thinking the same, I don't get the obsession with overloading on pass catchers when we're likely to have the lowest pass play % in the league. Even when we call passes the QB runs a lot. Its a waste of resources, the Bills have to win or lose with run game and defense.

Why so we can B word at the end of next year about the same things we are bitching about this year throwing to street free agents when injuries happen?

Why so we can B word at the end of next year about the same things we are bitching about this year throwing to street free agents when injuries happen?

I don't care about narratives or what you choose to complain about(?), I only care about winning. The Bills have to win with run game and defense no matter who plays WR. The passing game is just an accessory.

They can use the 10th pick better than putting together dual #1 WRs, an elite TE plus another matchup problem at HB. Tyrod will never take full advantage of that setup. in other words, it is wasteful. He's not Carson Palmer or something, he's a conservative QB who makes plays with his legs and is one of the worst pure passers who will start next year.

Everyone talks about how valuable it is he takes care of the ball, well you don't need multiple elite WRs merely to not throw interceptions. that's for teams who actually want to throw the ball to win. Not a team that will have the lowest pass play % in the league no matter who plays WR. Just my opinion, John.

Edited by 2018 Our Year For Sure

I don't care about narratives or what you choose to complain about(?), I only care about winning. The Bills have to win with run game and defense no matter who plays WR. The passing game is just an accessory.

They can use the 10th pick better than putting together dual #1 WRs, an elite TE plus another matchup problem at HB. Tyrod will never take full advantage of that setup. in other words, it is wasteful. He's not Carson Palmer or something, he's a conservative QB who makes plays with his legs and is one of the worst pure passers who will start next year.

Everyone talks about how valuable it is he takes care of the ball, well you don't need multiple elite WRs merely to not throw interceptions. that's for teams who actually want to throw the ball to win. Not a team that will have the lowest pass play % in the league no matter who plays WR. Just my opinion, John.

I see....so basically you will never be moved off your position no matter what....

You could have just said that and saved the time of typing your "narrative"

I see....so basically you will never be moved off your position no matter what....

You okay, John? That is a comment really out of left field. I hope everything is well with you.

I used to think Taylor had potential to be a lot more and that Roman was holding him back. I'm perfectly willing to admit my perspective is wrong as new information comes available. I'm also willing to learn from posters here and get debated off a position as I've done before.

You okay, John? That is a comment really out of left field. I hope everything is well with you.

I used to think Taylor had potential to be a lot more and that Roman was holding him back. I'm perfectly willing to admit my perspective is wrong as new information comes available. I'm also willing to learn from posters here and get debated off a position as I've done before.

Then understand that TT is no different then any other mid level starter.....he needs playmaker's around him

He will never be a top 5 guy......and we may never have a top 5 guy on this team

We may not but still need another top receiving threat to keep defenses honest IMO. I hope Holmes is that guy but not sure he is more than a red zone threat, I hope we draft a WR in the second round that will be a proper 1b/2

We may not but still need another top receiving threat to keep defenses honest IMO. I hope Holmes is that guy but not sure he is more than a red zone threat, I hope we draft a WR in the second round that will be a proper 1b/2

Holmes ideally is a better version of Justin Hunter, a number 4 WR that can maybe fill in as a number 2 in a short term sense. I liked the Holmes signing but it is clear that the team needs 2 receivers ahead of Holmes if the passing attack is to be effective. Sadly unless the Bills spend 2 high draft picks or at the very least sign a good slot receiver and then spend a high draft choice then the Bills will likely be lacking at receiver

Then understand that TT is no different then any other mid level starter.....he needs playmaker's around him

He will never be a top 5 guy......and we may never have a top 5 guy on this team

I don't agree he's no different, I think the Bills will attempt fewer passes in terms of % than nearly anyone else. Running QB.

I know the Pats were looking into acquiring him.

I know there are a million factors that say forget about this stupid idea about the Bills getting him. I fully understand that.

However is their a scenario where the Bills can put their hat into Hopkins ring if Houston and him come to an impasse?

Long story short...NO. Too much money to tie up into one position. Draft, draft, draft!

Id rather pair him up with Sammy than any 1st round WR. Just makes sense knowing what you have because the top 2 WR do have question marks. I'm sure Hopkins would love to be reunited with Sammy considering how huge they both were at Clemson. I speak with no bias :)

This is the only way I'd be ok with drafting O.J. Howard at 10. We'd have our replacement for Clay and would be able to pay for both Hopkins and Sammy. That gives us the best WR tandem in the league, with Clay and Howard, Shady and Gillislee for a year. I know we don't throw as much as other teams, but dynamic playmakers can only elevate Taylor's play. He drops some sweet dimes deep and really all over the field if you go back and watch tape. Give him those two to throw to on the outside and Clay and Howard in 2 TE sets and that would be a juggernaut.