Pre-Draft Visits to OBD

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear you. I'm just leery of these guys. College is exactly the place where players can get by on athletic talent alone there should be production there if they are that good of a player. Howard has all the measurables and might have a great attitude but I just don't know about spending a top 10 pick on someone who didn't produce in college and then hoping they produce against better competition.

I can't think of guys that were athletic freaks and had little production in college that then became great pros. I'm open to having my mind changed though if people have examples. It happens in basketball but I don't know of it happening in the NFL.

For me top 10 needs production and measurables to be in line. If Peppers was a top 10 pick I would have liked to see a Charles Woodson type college career. If Howard was as dominant as he is touted I would think Saban would have made Kiffin use him. Especially with the shoddy QB play they had. Obi I am less against as he is talked about as a 2nd rounder. That is where I would take guys with measureables and HOPE I can get production out of them. Peppers at 10 and I'd be bummed, Peppers at 41 and I'll hope he turns into something and see why they grabbed him.

Does any of that make sense lol

IMO, OJ Howard is an elite prospect. He can't throw himself the ball, if they used him, like they did in the bowl games. They used him when they had to during the bowl games. If they used him during the regular seasons, he'd have insane numbers because he's unstoppable. Normally I'd pass on a TE but in this case, he is an elite player and I have my doubts he will even make it to our pick at 10 overall. He's probably the safest pick in the entire draft, behind maybe Garrett. He's going to be a star and would very likely help our offense much more than a Mike Williams or Corey Davis would. I'm not against those player but I think Howard will make it really hard on a defense matchup wise and he will also help in the running game. If Howard is there when it's our turn, I hope we pick him.

IMO, OJ Howard is an elite prospect. He can't throw himself the ball, if they used him, like they did in the bowl games. They used him when they had to during the bowl games. If they used him during the regular seasons, he'd have insane numbers because he's unstoppable. Normally I'd pass on a TE but in this case, he is an elite player and I have my doubts he will even make it to our pick at 10 overall. He's probably the safest pick in the entire draft, behind maybe Garrett. He's going to be a star and would very likely help our offense much more than a Mike Williams or Corey Davis would. I'm not against those player but I think Howard will make it really hard on a defense matchup wise and he will also help in the running game. If Howard is there when it's our turn, I hope we pick him.

I just can't call him the safest pick in the draft especially with the recent track record of the top rated tes.

I did some more looking him up and can't get past some of these things:

from here

Saw playing time diminish from junior to senior season. Explosive talent who doesn't make enough explosive plays. Scouts question his competitive nature.

Should become substantially more productive as a pro, but the difference between "potential weapon" and "elite tight end" will likely be tied to his desire and overall football character.

or here

Take away the breakout national title games and Howard's junior (33 catches for 394 yards and zero scores) and senior campaigns (41-489-2) are potentially more alarming than exhilarating.

The fact that he has not made more progress in Alabama's offense suggests that he may possess only average football intelligence and passion for the game. Howard is not the bulldozer with the ball in his hands that his size would suggest.

I don't want questions of effort and explanation for lack of production out of the 10th pick. I've been thinking over the past few days and still can't come up with someone who struggled to produce in college and then blew up in the NFL. He has Gronk measureables but not his physicality it appears. (I am no expert)

From Bills wire (you're welcome blokes ;) ) in an article about why the Bills should draft Howard:

Since 2000, just three tight ends have been top-10 picks (Eric Ebron, Vernon Davis, Kellen Winslow) and all were dominant collegiate players with elite athletic ability.

Howard doesn't fit the profile of being a dominant collegiate player and 2 of the 3 didn't live up to their status. Again has me nervous to pick him at 10. I can see the plus of drafting him. He offers that other target the offense needs, allows for 2 te sets, is a good blocker. I just worry about him being the difference maker that the 10th pick should be. If the Bills take him I'll hope like hell that he turns it on but I'll be nervous...