Football Isn't Rocket Science Just Common Sense !!

T master

Some of the decisions that come out of the Bills front office sometimes just don't make any sense !

Last year we had 2 O lineman that were at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to performance, one did great the other was one of the worst in the league !

But the Bills signed the worst first & are dragging their feet on the better of the 2 ??

Jordon Mills ranked something like 48th last year when it came to RT's in the NFL & he was THE weakest link on the Bills O line but the front office signed him almost immediately (does he have some dirt on Whaley)

Then on the other side of the coin is R.Groy which has been with the Bills for 2 years & when pushed into action did a great job plus his versatility trumps Mills hands down yet the Bills are dragging their feet on matching the Rams deal even given E.Wood injury past & the fact that he is in the last year of his contract .

Also if Whaley were to consider restructuring Wood's contract (if he can) given all that surrounds Wood (cap hit, injury history, age) they could have both lineman Wood for the last year of his contract for less money & Groy for 2 years for as much as it would cost for Wood ($7 mill + cap hit for this year) for both or slightly more than what they are paying Wood !

I know football isn't rocket science but why are the Bills signing all of these second tier players & a guy like this that has proven his worth to the team with his versatility Why are they taking so long to bring him back ??

TD Mike will be the next that they let walk because of the same type of situation ...

Do we ever wonder why the Pats win our division even year look no further than these types of situations !

It's common sense, with rocket science on top, and plenty of it.

But as for why we're going with cheaper FAs, that really isn't rocket science. We are in cap trouble and need to sign a bunch of guys while hopefully bringing in guys in ways that will allow us to get out of cap trouble next year.

But yeah, the Pats don't get in cap trouble, generally because they only rarely sign expensive FAs and they rely on the draft as their main means of stocking the team, filling holes with cheap and medium-priced FAs, with an expensive one only once or so every three or four years. And yeah, we should emulate that, including maximizing our comp picks and trading back consistently for more picks.

If you look at the poor organizations around the league it is not at all unrealistic to think that a hack outsider could do better at many of the aspects of the jobs than the so-called pros do.

Any person with half a brain and any common sense would not have drafted EJ Manuel where he was drafted.The entire population of Tallahassee would have told you that EJ was not that good.

So it is not laughable at all to think that posters on a message board would know better than the so-called pros of The Dolphins,The Bills,The Jets,The Browns,The Lions etc etc.

Yes it is, it's very laughable. While you might have made some decisions better than Whaley (me too) you'd have made some others worse.

Would you have drafted Darby? Or brought in Robey-Coleman as a UDFA? I could give a ton of other examples, as I'm sure could you. I'm not thrilled with Whaley, in fact I'd rather they had dumped him. But I'm not going to kid myself that I could do a better job. I couldn't and neither could any fan. We'd end up like a Matt Millen, doing our best but untrained and unsophisticated.

While that's true, think of this, I could have ran the bills for 17 years with the same result. So could you have.

If by "same result" you mean not winning the Super Bowl, then I agree. But it's safe to say that if either of us were running the team, they'd be in worse shape than they are now.

For one thing, I doubt that either of us keeps an objective list of every single personnel decision and how we felt about it, but we tend to remember the ones where we were right. So the idea that we'd have done better is simple confirmation bias.

Second, nobody on this board knows exactly what a GM does. Yeah, he's in charge of personnel, but we don't know all the intricacies of the business, and we don't have access to the same information that he has.

Like I said before, until you've done the job, you have no idea how difficult it is, and therefore you have no idea how well you'd perform it.

If by "same result" you mean not winning the Super Bowl, then I agree. But it's safe to say that if either of us were running the team, they'd be in worse shape than they are now.

For one thing, I doubt that either of us keeps an objective list of every single personnel decision and how we felt about it, but we tend to remember the ones where we were right. So the idea that we'd have done better is simple confirmation bias.

Second, nobody on this board knows exactly what a GM does. Yeah, he's in charge of personnel, but we don't know all the intricacies of the business, and we don't have access to the same information that he has.

Like I said before, until you've done the job, you have no idea how difficult it is, and therefore you have no idea how well you'd perform it.

Well If you tell me I'm doing a simple confirmation bias then I'd say you are doing an appeal to authority bias. The bills haven't made the playoffs in 17 years. Any fan could have had that result. No one knows what a GM actually does unless they have done it? Seriously? That is like saying you can't do your taxes unless your an accountant for H&R Block. Also it doesn't take knowing ones job to see a bad job done.

Well If you tell me I'm doing a simple confirmation bias then I'd say you are doing an appeal to authority bias. The bills haven't made the playoffs in 17 years. Any fan could have had that result. No one knows what a GM actually does unless they have done it? Seriously? That is like saying you can't do your taxes unless your an accountant for H&R Block. Also it doesn't take knowing ones job to see a bad job done.

I can do my own taxes, but that doesn't make me an expert in corporate tax law. Try walking into a billion dollar corporation and telling them to hire you as their comptroller, using the fact that you do your own taxes as evidence of your ability to do the job.

It's actually a pretty simple formula. First you get players, then you add winning.

First you need ownership with a clue that is willing to spend wisely (pending and hopeful on that one)

Then you hire a top-level scouting team

The rest will start to work itself out

But you could muddle around and hope to squeak out a WC massacre loss once every 20 years or so

You could believe that and you'd be wrong. You could have gone 0-16 every year.

1/3 of the NFL is putrid and rancid beyond belief every season. 0-16 is a twice in a lifetime occurrence.

Common sense would dictate a starting RT is more important than a backup center. I like Groy and hope they match. I could be talked into keeping him and letting Wood go.

I would put GLenn at RT if Kujo is healthy and still plays at a high level at LT.

It would also help if Henderson didn't get sick and use the illness as a reason to smoke pot without permission.

And this is exactly why no one should let you near a GM's office.

"I could be a better NFL GM" says local man with adequate performance reviews at his own job. Local man is by most accounts a true NFL Outsider. While some naysayers believe his lack of experience is a weakness, local man sees these supposed weaknesses as his greatest strengths as his total lack of front office experience shields him from the pitfalls associated with years of formal training and scouting experience like conventional wisdom, also known as "group think".

Local man says he has not been contacted by any NFL teams regarding their vacancies at GM. Teams may be waiting to see if local man pursues his political ambitions before making an offer as he was recently overheard claiming he could be a better president of the United States.

This thread reads like the Onion.

"I could be a better NFL GM" says local man with adequate performance reviews at his own job. Local man is by most accounts a true NFL Outsider. While some naysayers believe his lack of experience is a weakness, local man sees these supposed weaknesses as his greatest strengths as his total lack of front office experience shields him from the pitfalls associated with years of formal training and scouting experience like conventional wisdom, also known as "group think".

Local man says he has not been contacted by any NFL teams regarding their vacancies at GM. Teams may be waiting to see if local man pursues his political ambitions before making an offer as he was recently overheard claiming he could be a better president of the United States.

This thread reads like the Onion.

Men who watch sports like to think and compare and contrast what is going on in the game, how it could be better, how it could be worse.

Some even put some $$$ behind their views.

Hope you can grasp this is what men who watch sports like to do.

Well If you tell me I'm doing a simple confirmation bias then I'd say you are doing an appeal to authority bias. The bills haven't made the playoffs in 17 years. Any fan could have had that result. No one knows what a GM actually does unless they have done it? Seriously? That is like saying you can't do your taxes unless your an accountant for H&R Block. Also it doesn't take knowing ones job to see a bad job don

Over simplify much? Just because I can drive a race car around the track doesnt mean I can succeed in NASCAR. We see end results with the Bills and we only look through a small window into the organization. The majority of GM's climbed through the ranks of scouting to get where they are. Fans only know what they see on TV or read on the internet. How can you say you can do a job when you dont even know what goes into that job?

Men who watch sports like to think and compare and contrast what is going on in the game, how it could be better, how it could be worse.

Some even put some $$$ behind their views.

Hope you can grasp this is what men who watch sports like to do.

I'm a man who watches sports. I also think from time to time. Which is probably why I don't spew dribble, void of anything even resembling perspective or humility. As a man who watches sports, I'm well versed in ridiculous, drunk talk. I recognize it readily.

Playing the ponies all day doesn't mean you're ready to run the Preakness, riverboat row_33.

1/3 of the NFL is putrid and rancid beyond belief every season. 0-16 is a twice in a lifetime occurrence.

Jeez, exaggerate much? 1/3 is putrid? The Browns are putrid. The Lions used to be putrid. Going 7-9 or 8-8 while frustrating is not putrid. If you want to see what an NFL team looks like run by a clueless fan look at the Redskins right after Dan Snyder bought them.

I'm a man who watches sports. I also think from time to time. Which is probably why I don't spew dribble, void of anything even resembling perspective or humility. As a man who watches sports, I'm well versed in ridiculous, drunk talk. I recognize it readily.

Playing the ponies all day doesn't mean you're ready to run the Preakness, riverboat row_33.

Peak Jaur.

Jeez, exaggerate much? 1/3 is putrid? The Browns are putrid. The Lions used to be putrid. Going 7-9 or 8-8 while frustrating is not putrid. If you want to see what an NFL team looks like run by a clueless fan look at the Redskins right after Dan Snyder bought them.

Playoffs?

Didn't we hire a guy who ran a different defense after having one of the best defenses in the NFL because he was boisterous and fun? What kind of move was that? Clueful?